Forums > Critique > Please critique the head shoots in my portfolio

Photographer

SinStreetPhotography

Seattle, Washington, US

http://sinstreetphoto.photosite.com/Album1/

I'm new to photography and want to make the same mistake over and over. I shoot with film and most of the photos are untouched. I'm looking to improve. good and bad feedback would be helpful.
~Kel

Oct 20 05 12:04 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Each of your images seems to feature a gimick of some sort. I'd say go for more basic and less decorated subjects to find your voice as a photographer apart from your desire to make things interesting right off the bat. Try more subtle subjects.

Oct 21 05 01:53 am Link

Photographer

SinStreetPhotography

Seattle, Washington, US

Ched wrote:
Each of your images seems to feature a gimick of some sort. I'd say go for more basic and less decorated subjects to find your voice as a photographer apart from your desire to make things interesting right off the bat. Try more subtle subjects.

How is the quality and skill of the photos?

Oct 21 05 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Ched wrote:

Interesting.  I don't agree with you Ched, although I respect your work... 

I'd say don't change your subject matter.  Those girls are charismatic and vibrant and I love looking at them.   I'd fight another photog -or trip him with my foot to run up and call dibs on subject matter like this.

There are hundreds of photographers with bland subjects.  Why be one of them? (You've got gold, man!)

Ched, on the otherhand, has a great style that allows him to get good shots from simplified set ups.   He gets along well with a minimalist approach.  But it may not be the approach for you. 

My advice to you:  Shoot often and watch your lighting. (and maybe work on your composition)  But your stuff is fun and has a good vibe to it.

Oct 23 05 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

SinStreetPhotography

Seattle, Washington, US

Thank you I love my models.
~Kel

Oct 23 05 11:37 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

I think they look great!  More for an alternative sort of thing, but that is much more exciting in my opinion anyways.

Oct 23 05 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I agree with Ryan on the lighting. On a couple you have the camera & flash flipped sideways which casts that weird shadow behind your subject. Also try and mix it up with the lighting - on the headshots they're a little flat.

Oct 23 05 11:54 pm Link