Forums > Critique > Never got that whole Crop thing down

Photographer

Prose Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

While I consider myself a passable photographer I must admit I'm a little "old school" when it comes to cropping photos.

I've got three crops of the same photo here and I'd appreciate some feedback

https://members.cox.net/fprose/mm/1_K4E7452.jpg
https://members.cox.net/fprose/mm/2_K4E7452.jpg
https://members.cox.net/fprose/mm/3_K4E7452.jpg

Oct 20 05 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I personally like the last two. The second to last one being the best of the two. I do not like cropping the edges so close to the model that they look like they are boxed in. I prefer to let the image breath a little, so to speak.

Oct 20 05 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

I agree with GB,

Usually I shoot with about an inch of space above the head (damn film rules) this will allow you some depth and as GB said, won't box you in.

Out of all, I like the last one best. I always get shit cause I prefer having mostly head and shoulders or upper torso photos. This is cause I like the focus to be on the eyes. So the last one gives this effect which is why I like it best.

Oct 20 05 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

mag-jr wrote:
I agree with GB,

Usually I shoot with about an inch of space above the head (damn film rules) this will allow you some depth and as GB said, won't box you in.

Out of all, I like the last one best. I always get shit cause I prefer having mostly head and shoulders or upper torso photos. This is cause I like the focus to be on the eyes. So the last one gives this effect which is why I like it best.

I do like that one as well. I just like the second to last one better mainly because it has nicer skin tones than the last one. If they had the same skin tones id consider the last two a tie smile

Oct 20 05 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

VisionsofZen

Berkeley, California, US

I like #3 best.  For me it cuts down un the extra backdrop without cropping too close, yet puts more focus on the face

Oct 20 05 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Lee Donovan

Hanson, Massachusetts, US

cropping too close to the hairline can accentuate the model's forehead-
I'd suggest cropping further down or up
my thoughts smile

Oct 21 05 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Picture This

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I like #3 the best... what about cropping it as a vertical?

Oct 21 05 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

Picture This wrote:
I like #3 the best... what about cropping it as a vertical?

I like 3 because it follows the 2/3 rule and it fills the image with the subject.

I do not think there is a verticle crop that will work as well.  However i do not like cutting part of the head off

Oct 21 05 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Thyronne

Huntington Beach, California, US

I like the face off center.  Makes it more dynamic.  Personally I love cropping into the top of the head, I don't understand why people automatically have problems with that.

Oct 21 05 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Johnson Studios

Wausau, Wisconsin, US

I like #3. The model has great eyes and i think that is what you want to accentuate. #3 shows that off more, because it makes the viewer look at her face.

Oct 21 05 11:05 pm Link

Model

Semora

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

I like 1 and 3..one because it makes her face look thinner..and three because..it just does. I like the image. Very nice Glamour.

Oct 21 05 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

hollywoodcolor

Simi Valley, California, US

ProShotPhoto wrote:

I like 3 because it follows the 2/3 rule and it fills the image with the subject.

I do not think there is a verticle crop that will work as well.  However i do not like cutting part of the head off

#3 Remembering the 2/3 rule or (the rule of 3rds) really helps in cropping, but more breathing room is needed.

Oct 21 05 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Prose Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Thanks to all.  I liked #3 and so did many of you.  So #3 is my new avatar.

Oct 25 05 09:38 am Link