Forums > Model Colloquy > Are we judged on the sum of our parts?

Model

Danica Lee

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I've had a few messages lately and I have to admit - I'm perplexed!

While I'm probably opening myself up for some flaming criticism on my profile it might be a good idea to go check it out before reading the following question wink

Where on earth does a photographer get the idea I might possibly be interested in posing in a bikini on a beach some place? Do I look like the type of bronzed goddess that would suit that type of work?

In a round about way I guess I'm asking whether or not models feel as though someone looks through all of their pictures before contacting them for a work enquiry or whether their judgement is laid purely on the avatar or user pic at the top corner of the page? How about the photographers? Do you look through a models profile before contacting them or are you a self confessed skimmer?

I'm the sort of 'gal who likes to respond to all queries and messages in a polite and timely fashion. But to have to respond to these sorts of requests all the time - Geeze Louise! I'm almost considering drawing up a template to cut and paste.

Oct 22 05 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

David Bickley

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Well, I can't speak for all of us, but personally I look through every photo of any model I'm considering contacting.  The avatar though is what gets your foot in the door with me.  This is a shallow business.  As for you look...no, I don't think you should be shot in a bikini on a beach.  With your look you belong in lingere if skimpy shoots are what you are referring too.  I often wonder why certain people even try to pretend that they care about the art.  I watch other members...on OMP especially, and everytime a new model makes a profile in the area...they're right there saying "Desire to work with" no matter what.  That makes me wonder...why?

I get sad when I think about how many photographers are holding a camera just because women won't pay attention to them any other way.  Sad for photography, and for the models that have to deal with them.

D

Oct 22 05 07:42 pm Link

Model

Danica Lee

I often pour over a photographers profile and follow what links I can to get a clear idea of what sort of work it is they do and if I really think spending 4 hours with this person is going to be worth it. That's not got anything to do with pretention mind you, it's more wanting to make sure I'm not constantly shooting the same type of thing.

I knock back work because of that 'fussy factor' but I think it's important to try and keep some variety in a portfolio.

That said I will often reply to the photographer in question asking what their ideas are and if they plan to go in a different direction to what they've done already. I'm always happy to work with people who want to try something new.

(Yes... Lingerie. I've done enough of that - next please! wink)

Oct 22 05 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Nytevision wrote:
That said I will often reply to the photographer in question asking what their ideas are and if they plan to go in a different direction to what they've done already. I'm always happy to work with people who want to try something new.

If that is the case, it stands to reason that a photographer might ask you to do some bikini shots on a beach. Right?

Oct 22 05 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

If that is the case, it stands to reason that a photographer might ask you to do some bikini shots on a beach. Right?

I agree that you do not fit the standard bronze fitness girl in a bikini shot.  However you do not clearify - an may not have asked for clearification.  Instead you may have made up your own mind that this is what the photogrpaher is after.

If you inquired you may find that the suggestion was for for a shoot which included the beach and a bikini but may not have been with the intent of producing the fitness model shot.  Maybe the photographer had something else in mind that is more creative.

I look thgouth a models portfolio and usually want to shoot all generas she is interested in, as whatever the model is interested in will be great for my protfolio.  Sometimes this will be shots which the models is not really suited for so imagination is required.

Oct 22 05 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I will also write to a model based on how I think she'd work with my photography, even if what she shows isn't similar. 

I don't do bikinis or beaches, but if I did I might think a pale, blue-eyed model like you could make a killer photograph.  And that's more creative than the usual bronzed bikini-babes.

That's thinking outside the barrel.

-Don

Oct 22 05 09:01 pm Link

Model

Danica Lee

ProShotPhoto wrote:

I agree that you do not fit the standard bronze fitness girl in a bikini shot.  However you do not clearify - an may not have asked for clearification.  Instead you may have made up your own mind that this is what the photogrpaher is after.

If you inquired you may find that the suggestion was for for a shoot which included the beach and a bikini but may not have been with the intent of producing the fitness model shot.  Maybe the photographer had something else in mind that is more creative.

I look thgouth a models portfolio and usually want to shoot all generas she is interested in, as whatever the model is interested in will be great for my protfolio.  Sometimes this will be shots which the models is not really suited for so imagination is required.

Hence why I said I go back and ask the photographer what they had in mind if they haven't already quite plainly stated they want to do a bikini shoot. And I was referring to emails where people have specifically asked me to do bikini shoots smile

And as the photographer making first contact, is it not their responsiblity to ensure they accurately and clearly describe what it is they are proposing? There is no point to contacting a model with "Lets shoot together" without describing what it is you want to do.

Oct 22 05 09:07 pm Link

Model

Danica Lee

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

Naturally smile I'm just curious as the whether or not the photographers contacting models seriously consider the models portfolio beforehand. And vice versa for models - Do they seriously consider a photographers portfolio before accepting an offer to work with them.

Oct 22 05 09:10 pm Link

Model

Danica Lee

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
I don't do bikinis or beaches, but if I did I might think a pale, blue-eyed model like you could make a killer photograph.  And that's more creative than the usual bronzed bikini-babes.
-Don

I think the wording on one request I got recently was something along the lines of:

"Picture this - you stripped naked to the waist on a beach with your body glistening with oil..."

When I went back to the photographer to say I wasn't interested in that sort of a shoot he got all rowdy on me and said I was wasting his time. I think if he had of taken the time to read my profile firstly he would have seen my 'no nudity' disclaimer plus that he was in the wrong country! (I checked afterwards so I could see the rest of his gallery in case I'd misjudged him...)

Oct 22 05 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Nytevision wrote:
I think if he had of taken the time to read my profile firstly he would have seen my 'no nudity' disclaimer ...

Yeah, the photographer should read and respect things like that.  On the other hand I get messages from models wanting to shoot with me that don't seem to notice the "No nudity rules" caveat on my profile either.

-Don

Oct 22 05 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I always view a model's por before contacting her. That said many can be less than clear, to a photographer a model with lingerie shots will also do bikini shot and a bikini model will do lingerie shots. Of course not necessarily true. Some models will say they do not do something and then hav it in their port.
If yoy get request for something you do not want to do my advice is a simple "No thanks "as a response
Bob

Oct 22 05 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Ya know why?  It's because if you throw enough shit at a wall, some of it is going to stick.

There are a lot (a lot!) of photographers who are desperate to shoot girls in bikinis (or less), and they have no shortage of bikinis.  Their solution is to solicit everyone who qualifies as "girl". 

Your solution is to say "no".

Oct 23 05 01:59 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Nytevision wrote:
Naturally smile I'm just curious as the whether or not the photographers contacting models seriously consider the models portfolio beforehand. And vice versa for models - Do they seriously consider a photographers portfolio before accepting an offer to work with them.

Yeah. I understand. I once had a client ask me to shoot furniture.

I was like, "What? Have you SEEN my portfolio?"

I shoot images of people. Period. On very rare occassions, I shoot landscapes. But there is NO product photography in my portfolio. None. So why on earth would I be asked to shoot furniture?

Oct 23 05 02:05 am Link

Model

Danica Lee

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
Yeah. I understand. I once had a client ask me to shoot furniture.

I was like, "What? Have you SEEN my portfolio?"

I shoot images of people. Period. On very rare occassions, I shoot landscapes. But there is NO product photography in my portfolio. None. So why on earth would I be asked to shoot furniture?

Haha - That's terrible! How could someone possibly get the idea you'd like to explore shooting furniture by looking at your portfolio? Silly asses...

But this is the sort of thing I'm driving at. The simplest and most annoying one I can think of all those poor toggies out there getting harrassed about TFP work when their profiles clearly state they're 'not accepting it at present'. I'd hate to be clearing out all those messages...

Oct 23 05 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

Yeah, the photographer should read and respect things like that.  On the other hand I get messages from models wanting to shoot with me that don't seem to notice the "No nudity rules" caveat on my profile either.

-Don

This is her nudity statement "Please note I do NOT do nudity. It's not that I have a problem with it, it just doesn't fit in with my master plan. Tasteful implied nudity will be considered for PAID work only."

So being topless on the beach would not be out of line if shot from the back. It no way the "photographer" should have taken offence when she siad she was not interested. (unless she answered with an attitude)

Oct 23 05 07:54 pm Link

Model

Danica Lee

Mike Cummings wrote:
This is her nudity statement "Please note I do NOT do nudity. It's not that I have a problem with it, it just doesn't fit in with my master plan. Tasteful implied nudity will be considered for PAID work only."

So being topless on the beach would not be out of line if shot from the back. It no way the "photographer" should have taken offence when she siad she was not interested. (unless she answered with an attitude)

Twas a TFP proposal wink

And no, no attitude. I don't see the need for attitude in an industry that relies on relationships.

Oct 23 05 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Nytevision wrote:

Twas a TFP proposal wink

And no, no attitude. I don't see the need for attitude in an industry that relies on relationships.

Ok I looked at the thread and did not see that. I didn't think you had an attitude with the photographer... but you never know.

I will say this I would much rather see you in a bikini than the standard swimsuit model. You look real, not plastic. Always a plus in my book.

Oct 23 05 08:13 pm Link

Model

Danica Lee

Mike Cummings wrote:
Ok I looked at the thread and did not see that. I didn't think you had an attitude with the photographer... but you never know.

I will say this I would much rather see you in a bikini than the standard swimsuit model. You look real, not plastic. Always a plus in my book.

Thanks smile Though I imagine any sort of beach set would need a million assistants standing by with sun shades waiting to fly in between shots and cover me up lest I burn to a crisp.

I've been badly sunburnt out on a shoot before and it took me months to get my skin back to what it is now. It made me sad sad I'm thinking of adding a 'photographer must supply shade' disclaimer to my profile too wink

Oct 23 05 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Nytevision wrote:

Thanks smile Though I imagine any sort of beach set would need a million assistants standing by with sun shades waiting to fly in between shots and cover me up lest I burn to a crisp.

I've been badly sunburnt out on a shoot before and it took me months to get my skin back to what it is now. It made me sad sad I'm thinking of adding a 'photographer must supply shade' disclaimer to my profile too wink

Just slap on the sunscreen or use a bluescreen and photoshop the beach in after the shoot.

Oct 23 05 08:21 pm Link

Model

Danica Lee

Sunscreen in my best friend smile

I get weird looks from passengers when I start putting sunscreen on before going on long trips on the car. And I won't even start to assume what my work colleagues think of me putting on sunscreen and sitting under a parasole at outdoor work gatherings wink They all think I'm nuts as it is...

Oct 23 05 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Nytevision wrote:
Sunscreen in my best friend smile

I get weird looks from passengers when I start putting sunscreen on before going on long trips on the car. And I won't even start to assume what my work colleagues think of me putting on sunscreen and sitting under a parasole at outdoor work gatherings wink They all think I'm nuts as it is...

Tell them yes you are a nut, you just don't want to be a roasted nut.

Oct 23 05 08:32 pm Link

Model

Phoenix E

personally speaking, my preference--my passion--are shoots that are somewhere between glamorous and macabre, shoots that are distinctly dark and fetishistic and surreal.....
but, that said, i also really prize the malleability of my appearance and the variety in my portfolio.....my portfolio may largely be comprised of fetish work, but that does not mean i would turn down a spectacular photographer offering me a bikini shoot on the beach....needless to say, i have enough body modification that i have not been barraged with such requests--but still....have patience with people......take it as a compliment and keep in mind that the only way to find out whether you are truly interested is to ask.......

Oct 23 05 08:38 pm Link