Forums > Critique > New pics

Model

Jill Elizabeth

Beverly Hills, California, US

Hi.  I finally have some pro pics up on my profile.  Please check them out, critique them, constructive critisism, tell me what's good & what's bad & all that.  Thank you.

Oct 24 05 08:39 am Link

Photographer

SDPhoto

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Jill Elizabeth wrote:
I finally have some pro pics up on my profile.

Dont think so....  none of the pictures make use of lighting, or are clean/sharp.

Keep at it, you have a nice look.  The more you learn about modeling, and what to look for in photography/photographer, the better the pictures will get.

Try to size your pictures to a size that will fit on the average monitor, around 400 - 600 pixels high.  Too small and the picture is, well, too small.  Too big and the picture can not be seen without scrolling.

Oct 24 05 09:46 am Link

Photographer

URP

New York, New York, US

Keep trying.

Oct 24 05 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I hope you didn't pay for those. If you did, get your money back.

black hat, white shirt - the shirt is overexposed and your smile is weak

pink shirt and bluejeans - the backdrop is a wreck and your hair needs work, grow it out or chop it back, but pick a direction

warehouse/garage with the shaft of light on the wall behind you - you're less in focus than the wall behind you

sitting looking up at the camera - the photographer used a wider lens than they should have, which has distorted your features. the pants are in focus when your eyes should be. also, your hair is all over the place, plaster it or frizz it, but pick a direction. your leg is positioned so the muscles are all flattened out to the widest possible state so it looks like you're overweight, which you're really not, but you should have lifted your knee a couple inches to correct for that.

Your strongest shot/pose is the one in the garage/warehouse with the light behind you (if it were in proper focus). Don't look at the camera so much, you don't need to win its approval, you need to project a mood. Show much more extra confidence, don't go to the camera, wait for it to come to you. Do lean toward the camera (tits out, stomach in, chin up and out a bit). Pose and move and stretch and be in that zen place where you know you are the perfect model and a good photographer will capture that.

Oct 24 05 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Brian Garrett

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jill, you're very cute, but the photos you have let you down.  Find a photographer willing to do some TFCD work with you and get some professional photos.  I'm sorry to say that hese just aren't going to get you anwhere.

Good luck!

Oct 24 05 10:20 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

I think a common misconception for beginning models is that it is easy to believe that anyone who has a camera and calls themselves a "professional" will take "professional" pictures of them...

Not picking on you, sweetheart, cause I went through the same thing.  It wasn't until I got some really professional pictures that I realized that I can't just work with anyone and get great shots...

A piece of advice would be to thoroughly look at a photographer's work and say, "do those look like snapshots?"

Use the "browse" tool and search all of the photographers in your state...I did this and I contacted all of the photographer's that I was interested in working with.  Send them a message introducing yourself and tell them you are just starting out, but you love their work and were hoping they would be interested in working with you as well (TfCD or whatever - some you may have to pay at least something). 

But you definitely need more professional pictures...this guy is not a professional (not dissing the guy - I understand that everyone has to start somewhere, but if he was a professional, these pictures would be pay quality and they are not) .

So as I said, personally contact EVERY photographer who you wish to work with.  Some, inevitably, will not respond - it's ok. But how will they know you are wanting to shoot if you do not introduce yourself?

Hope this helps smile

Oct 24 05 12:16 pm Link

Model

Jill Elizabeth

Beverly Hills, California, US

Thank you all for your comments, I really appreciate it.  I'm from a tiny town & the photographer for most of the pics is from the tiny town right by it so at the time I worked with what I had.  Luckily I am a bigger town now & closer to other big ones so hopefully I will find better soon.  Would that be a good idea?  Is the main problem here the photographer or is it me?  Do I have potential or should I focus on something else?

Oct 24 05 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Stan Goldstein

New York, New York, US

Jill Elizabeth wrote:
Thank you all for your comments, I really appreciate it.  I'm from a tiny town & the photographer for most of the pics is from the tiny town right by it so at the time I worked with what I had.  Luckily I am a bigger town now & closer to other big ones so hopefully I will find better soon.  Would that be a good idea?  Is the main problem here the photographer or is it me?  Do I have potential or should I focus on something else?

Well, everyone has potential.  The broader question should be "Do I enjoy this enought to invest the effort needed to develop myself as a model even if I don't make big bucks doing it?"

As other have said you need MUCH better pics.

Oct 24 05 03:31 pm Link

Model

SarahSVET

Los Angeles, California, US

as for potential..it all depends I dont think EVERYONE has it..but what kind of modeling do you wanna get into? commercial? than yes sure you do I think that would be your best bet. in that case..try action shots..you got the good idea already of smiling and your outside..etc..but you gotta just get a better photographer before we can really see if you have pontential..even the most beautiful woman in the world could be the worst model.

Oct 24 05 07:42 pm Link