Forums > Critique > Am I on the right track?

Photographer

Bassem Wahba

Hello All,

Ive been at this for a couple of years now and for the most part I have seen some improvement but every once in a while I'll have a shoot and wonder what heck happened? 

Ive never been critqued before but I would love absolutely ANY advice or suggestions for improvement.  If you could provide me feedback based on my MM profile Id really appreciate it!

Thanks for your time,

bw

Oct 24 05 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

i think your strongest image is the b/w of the nude girl lying down.
you didnt over use photoshop on this one.

Oct 24 05 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Bassem Wahba

Thanks Andrew!

I’m still trying to find that balance of retouching vs. keeping it natural.
Any suggestions?

The thing is most of my clients (the models) really like that porcelain look.

bw

Oct 24 05 05:42 pm Link

Model

Kitt Erikson

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

As a model, it looks to me like none of your models are having any fun; their expressions seem bored and taken off guard.  That's not to say that you are a boring person or that you don't take good photographs; but, I do seem to get the best images from photogs that I have fun with.  Get to know your models and make them feel comfortable; after that happens, you'll be surprised how much more receptive they are to smiling, playing, and acting for the camera.  That being said, you do make good images and I wish you luck in making even better ones.
~Kitt

Oct 24 05 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Bassem Wahba

Hi Kitt,

Thanks for your feedback, I can understand your point based on my pictures but actually allot of my models have said that they really enjoyed the experience!

With allot of these photos I was trying to go with the "come hither" look and felt that the expressions I requested of the models better suited that theme.  However you’ve made me re-examine my efforts and will do a little more experimenting with my future shoots.

Much appreciated!

bw.

Anyone else? This is great!!

Oct 25 05 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Muir

Potomac, Maryland, US

I'm not one to talk but....try pushing your ideas a little. Go outside, incorporate more locations or build some sets in the studio. Shoot from the floor...shoot from the ceiling, try different camera angles. I'm in the same boat and most of my studio stuff is bland and this is what I'll be aiming towards myself. Just keep shooting as much as possible and then shoot some more. Keep at it. BTM.

Oct 25 05 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Bassem Wahba

Hey Bruce,

Thanks for the advice!  Its funny you’re saying try different things.  I have this shot of my daughter that I accidentally over-exposed it turned out to be one of my favorites.  This is not my full-time gig so I don’t have anything to loose.  You’re absolutely right I should be pushing the envelope, if it sucks oh well just learn and try again.

Id also love to hear advice on how to get models on a TFP basis. Im in a small town and lets face it my work isn’t at the point where I have people knocking down the door.

Peace,

bw

Anyone else?

Oct 25 05 10:02 am Link

Photographer

PhillipJonesPhotography

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You're very accomplished at doing head shots.  Let's see some full length photos.

Oct 25 05 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Bassem Wahba

Thanks Phil,

By the way I love that full-length shot of "Marta" in your folio!
Fabaulous composition! I just love the mood of this shot!

Cheers!

bw

Oct 25 05 10:33 am Link