Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Too good to be true?

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

I recently replied to craigslist add that said a New York Agency (their 1-800 says their on 183 Broadway on the 3rd Floor) is looking for "Mid-West" plus size models. I sent them my Name, Age, Weight, Height, Measurements, Location, and a link to pictures and my resume (my MM profile). After a week of trying to get in touch with them via phone (they sent me a reply email telling me to call them), they finally called me today.

Vee, basically asks me half the information I sent her in the email over again (what's my age, measurements, height--didn't ask weight). She then askes me if I have experience (I told her I have some). During this, she tells me she has another call and has to call me back. 15 minutes later, she calls back and askes me about my book/pictures, I told her that I didn't really have any professional photos. (I love tfp, but I know that it won't cut it with a real agency unless their just dynamite.) She then told me that I need to do a $900 shoot with their photographer in Dallas (hair, make-up, 100 comp cards, 6 9x12 fashion sheets for my book, and I think something else are included). Now, I'm a poor lil' half-white girl. I can't afford that, and I'm more than certain I could get a better deal down here in New Orleans (aka no 9 hrs of travel time) and get all the stuff printed up for a heck of a lot less than $900. And I told her this and she was fine with it.

So, my questions come here:
a) Does this sound legit? The pay rate for gigs was from $500-$5,000 and it sounds like they do high fashion, etc and she said most of the work would be in Dallas (Is Dallas' market that big now for plus-size?) There's been no talk of a contract yet so I have no clue as to whether or not I'm an independent contractor or not, etc.

If it does sound legit:
b) What's a decent price for all the photoshoot-based stuff above (including hair and make-up) that would include I guess 4-6 looks (yea, sounds expensive already)?
c) How do I explain to her that I can print the stuff at Sam's for cheaper than what she wants (I'll just give them the "super glossy" paper I want them to use)?
d) Do you think there's any pictures I have currently that I could use in a professional book?

Oh, the name of the agency is V-Models (don't know if there's a relation to the other VModels or not) and it's for their Plus Division (which the lady said is tiny).

May 17 05 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Agencies pay you. You don't pay them. They take a cut when you get paid.

Period.

May 17 05 03:54 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

I've heard some pay for professional photos and comp cards to be done, but some don't.

May 17 05 03:56 pm Link

Model

eric

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

There are no big agencies in NYC at that address.
I doubt legit agencies would not do any business on Craig's list.
There are a couple legit agencies in Dallas, contact them directly. There's a girl here on MM named Ashley from Dallas who's a makeup artist and really tapped into the Dallas market, maybe she could offer some suggestions...

Edited to add:
No BIG agencies at that address. There very well could be some small scam agency there or non-liscensed model manager.

May 17 05 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Cynthia Leigh: 
I've heard some pay for professional photos and comp cards to be done, but some don't. 

If they don't, then they might just expect you to have them, but not require that you use a specific photographer or service. In that case, you can be sure they're getting a kickback.

May 17 05 04:06 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Um, I just googled the address and 2 websites says there's something there, granted, I don't know how old these pages are.

May 17 05 04:07 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Posted by Chris Ambler: 

Posted by Cynthia Leigh: 

If they don't, then they might just expect you to have them, but not require that you use a specific photographer or service. In that case, you can be sure they're getting a kickback.

You mean if they only want to me to use a specific photographer or service that their getting a kick-back.

May 17 05 04:12 pm Link

Model

Cynthia D

Walnut Creek, California, US

If an agency wants you, they will pay for your comp cards, not vice versa. It doesn't sound too legit to me. If I were you, I would do some more research on the agency.

May 17 05 04:15 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Posted by Cynthia D: 
If an agency wants you, they will pay for your comp cards, not vice versa. It doesn't sound too legit to me. If I were you, I would do some more research on the agency. 

Thanks, I haven't found anything google wise saying that's a "known scam", but I was trying to see if this was one of those things where 50 people got an offer as well, which pretty much lights up the scam thing.  I'm fairly sceptical because I'm 5'5, which is definitely short for plus-size, but I know that Torrid has no weight or height restrictions in their model selection and that print is less stringent on height requirements than some other types of modeling.

I'll try the sites that list known modeling scams next.

May 17 05 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Tito Trelles-MADE IN NY

Miami, Florida, US

Hi, the trick with this is...(most of the time) you pay them, they photograph you, send you some business cards or whatever they offer, and they will contact you when a job comes....that never happens(most of the time). They earnings are on the money you pay , not in the money you make. It's like the books about how to become a millionaire...if that was true...do you think they will tell you?. They are becoming millionaires, with the money from people who believe that. I dont say all of them are equal...but think about it... It's a very smart way.  This is my opinion...if any person...except Mother Theresa, offers me to become famous or millionaire...I always read the small letters. And I dont think that was Mother Theresa's field.  Luck.   tito

May 17 05 04:25 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Yeah, but they haven't pulled the "John Casablanca-Join-My-Modeling-School-Or-Pay-for-the-right-to-be-represented" story yet.  And the minute they do, I'm jumping ship.  I've heard of that scam before and if they'd pulled that one, I won't even have bothered to post this story other than to maybe say: "yeah, new scam, bye".

Right now, it's just uber-expensive photoshoot, but the lady did say that I could use another photographer (I plan to use one I know that they've never heard of before--so thus, why scam me with someone you've never meet?)

Edit: Jillianann.com has them listed as an NYC agency so I'm going to email her and ask her if she knows anything about them--or knows someone who works for them.

Edited Again: Does anyone know the modeling agency laws for New York?  I know in Texas that the agency isn't allowed to make the model use their photographer because that could be considered fraudulent and I think they're not allowed period to ask the model for any funds whatsoever (but I'm not certain on that). 

May 17 05 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

San Diego, California, US

Oh Oh Oh!  (hand raised high in class!!!!!!)

Who is the photographer in Dallas? (you can email me if you prefer).

Agencies that are licensed cannot require you to use their photographer. 

As for agencies paying for your comp cards... that's net myth.  You are responsible for the costs of creating your own portfolio and comps.  A good agency will find you qualified photographers to test with.  They will recommend places for printing where the rates are much reduced.  They "might" loan you the money, so to speak, upfront if they are large enough and really believe in you.  They will never pay for your costs of comps, however, any more than an actor has his/her headshots paid by the agent.

As for $$$ earning potentials...  let's just say that model rates that models online quote are nowhere near what land-based jobs are paying (i.e., much more).

May 17 05 04:46 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Posted by Austin Models & Talent Agency: 

As for agencies paying for your comp cards... that's net myth.  You are responsible for the costs of creating your own portfolio and comps.  A good agency will find you qualified photographers to test with.  They will recommend places for printing where the rates are much reduced.  They "might" loan you the money, so to speak, upfront if they are large enough and really believe in you.  They will never pay for your costs of comps, however, any more than an actor has his/her headshots paid by the agent.

As for $$$ earning potentials...  let's just say that model rates that models online quote are nowhere near what land-based jobs are paying (i.e., much more).

Thanks, I've been looking for a definite answer to that question.  (I know that local agencies here in Louisiana have actually made "embarassment sheets" with models and actors names on them to try to get them to send them comp cards and headshots because the agency doesn't have any of them anymore.) 

Yeah, the figure's on what their quoting me for potential gig earning is rather high, but I know that any fashion, and a lot of commercial print pays that with no qualms.  Thought, I'm not entirely certain as to whether or not that's what their niche is (she did mention fashion photos, so that's what I assumed).

And now that I have your attention, could you possibly answer the other questions I had in my original post!!?!!  I'm well aware that some of my more "eccentric" photos wouldn't be appropriate for my book if I was bring it to a fashion go-see, but enlighten me, I'm definitely curious.

May 17 05 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Cynthia Leigh:
Right now, it's just uber-expensive photoshoot,

Nope, it's not ueber-expensive. It's above average for that region maybe. But here in NY, photographers who shoot for agencies may get much more, just the model doesn't know because the agency either pays for the shoot, or reimburses the model, in which case she'd know of course.

My commercial rate is $300/hour plus costs, etc. If I have to shoot 5/6 hours on different locations (that's what I do), including a crew of make up artist, stylist and assistants, it can easily run to $2,000.

But an agency would pay for it. Now, because I know that models often need portfolio shoots without being represented by an agency and finance themself, I charge for the same shoot $450 and do sometimes price arrangements.

But that is me...

Again, that $900 is high, but by far not unusual.

On the other hand, there are photographers with cheapo digicams and their own Epson Stylus printer who do head shots for $95.--

They usually have their photocopied offers taped to lantern poles in the city with their phone numbers to tear off.

May 17 05 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Very well summarized!

May 17 05 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

Posted by Cynthia Leigh: 
Thanks, I've been looking for a definite answer to that question.  (I know that local agencies here in Louisiana have actually made "embarassment sheets" with models and actors names on them to try to get them to send them comp cards and headshots because the agency doesn't have any of them anymore.) 

Right now, you are living in a "HOT SPOT" for the entertainment industry.  The Louisiana state government has set up huge incentives for filmmakers, attracting in a lot of Hollywood that was otherwise coming to Texas the year before this.  You may not be interested in acting, but with that comes other things (print modeling, advertising) as well.  If you are interested in acting, then you're currently sitting on a gold mine.

In my own personal observations and research of agencies in Louisiana, many of them are fresh and new to the industry and sitting on shakey ground as far as how they operate.  I'm not implying that Texas is so much smarter, but it has had a lot of background in the industry, enough so that we operate a lot differently here (in markets such as Texas and Louisiana, you'd be hard pressed to find agencies that deal strictly in modeling, by the way).  We've experienced films here in TX recently such as SIN CITY (Bruce Willis), FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS (Billy Bob Thornton), and MAN OF THE HOUSE (Tommy Lee Jones - orignally shot under the title, CHEER UP).  My own sun had roles in both the last two films.  In FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, they hired him as well as his car (a classic and restored 1977 Firebird Formula) to appear in the feature.  Texas now suffers a loss in the industry that Louisiana has taken away.  Even still, Sarah Michell Gellar and Sandra Bullock are both shooting feature films in Texas as we speak.

ACCLAIM TALENT has opened offices in Louisiana.  They're a pretty high profile agency based in Texas.  For "legit," I'd start with them first.  Again, I'm not sure if you are restricting yourself to modeling only, but talent agencies do provide both actors, as well as models for print advertising assignments.

If you email me in private, I can send you some solid legit Louisiana contacts that will benefit you.  Since TX is so close to there, of course, I've had to keep abreast of who is who and what is what so nearby.  :-)

May 17 05 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Magic Image Photography

Temple City, California, US

You get what you pay for. In this case you are only paying for there representaion. The pictuers are just a way to get your business. There are millions of photographer that can help you set up a book for your portfolio. You are just paying them to get you employment. And true they cost alot of monie but the chances of you being what they are looking for is very slim unless you are what they are looking for. My work is just as good as any agencies photographer. But what you are buying is the name of the photographer and the name of the agency.I am positive you will find many expert photographers here on the Mayhem just ask... Bravo Magic Image Photography

May 17 05 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by Udo R Photography: 
On the other hand, there are photographers with cheapo digicams and their own Epson Stylus printer who do head shots for $95.

And then there are the guys who do good work but also shoot TFP because they're building a portfolio, themselves. Find one of them, and it's a win-win. The downside being that you've wasted some of your time if their work sucks.

May 17 05 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

ANON

Question (a):
Dallas is a decent size market for print.  Mostly catalog.  Several of the leading department stores base their print catalog work from there. 

Question (b):
When you sign with a decent agency, they will set you up on test shoots.  The makeup people who are pro's I know are around $85 an hour for model/talent headshots and portfolio work.  These are Texas prices, you may find them lower where you are. 

Question (c):
You can print your images anywhere you want to.  From digital, Sam's images aren't so bad.  For mass reproduction, I can give you a list of good printers (headshots, comps/zeds) who have good rates you can go by.  Don't use THEIR printer.

Question (d):
I have not looked.  I will and will comment later.

May 17 05 05:25 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Right now, you are living in a "HOT SPOT" for the entertainment industry.  The Louisiana state government has set up huge incentives for filmmakers, attracting in a lot of Hollywood that was otherwise coming to Texas the year before this.  You may not be interested in acting, but with that comes other things (print modeling, advertising) as well.  If you are interested in acting, then you're currently sitting on a gold mine.

In my own personal observations and research of agencies in Louisiana, many of them are fresh and new to the industry and sitting on shakey ground as far as how they operate.  I'm not implying that Texas is so much smarter, but it has had a lot of background in the industry, enough so that we operate a lot differently here (in markets such as Texas and Louisiana, you'd be hard pressed to find agencies that deal strictly in modeling, by the way).  We've experienced films here in TX recently such as SIN CITY (Bruce Willis), FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS (Billy Bob Thornton), and MAN OF THE HOUSE (Tommy Lee Jones - orignally shot under the title, CHEER UP).  My own sun had roles in both the last two films.  In FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, they hired him as well as his car (a classic and restored 1977 Firebird Formula) to appear in the feature.  Texas now suffers a loss in the industry that Louisiana has taken away.  Even still, Sarah Michell Gellar and Sandra Bullock are both shooting feature films in Texas as we speak.

ACCLAIM TALENT has opened offices in Louisiana.  They're a pretty high profile agency based in Texas.  For "legit," I'd start with them first.  Again, I'm not sure if you are restricting yourself to modeling only, but talent agencies do provide both actors, as well as models for print advertising assignments.

If you email me in private, I can send you some solid legit Louisiana contacts that will benefit you.  Since TX is so close to there, of course, I've had to keep abreast of who is who and what is what so nearby.  :-)

I actually spoke to Acclaim before they opened an office down in Louisiana.  I wouldn't mind both acting and modeling work, but from what I've experienced, there really isn't much of a plus-size market down here, so I'd probably be stuck with extra work.  And the only problem with that is the dumb casting agents down here. (They recently told me I had a featured extra position and then reneged and called me in for a one-day overnight shoot instead--which I declined.) 

I've ran into a lot of "scam" agencies down here in New Orleans.  They either want me to work with "their" photographer (who has pictures that make their subject look like their SNEEZING), or their John Robert Powers, John Casablanca, or something along those lines.  I've also sent quiet a few pictures and resumes to some of the decent agencies around here only to never hear from them again.  I'd love to get with a decent agency down here (I've heard a lot of great stuff about stage2000, but their all the way in Baton Rouge), and I have no clue as to whether or not Acclaim is even legitimately interested in me.

That, and if the politicians get their way, the tax incentive bill is going far, far away since their convinced that there'll still be a film industry down here to tax the heck out of if they remove the bill (from what I've heard it's in the house now).  So I don't know how long the acting biz is going to thrive down here either.

May 17 05 05:56 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Question (a):
Dallas is a decent size market for print.  Mostly catalog.  Several of the leading department stores base their print catalog work from there. 

Question (b):
When you sign with a decent agency, they will set you up on test shoots.  The makeup people who are pro's I know are around $85 an hour for model/talent headshots and portfolio work.  These are Texas prices, you may find them lower where you are. 

Question (c):
You can print your images anywhere you want to.  From digital, Sam's images aren't so bad.  For mass reproduction, I can give you a list of good printers (headshots, comps/zeds) who have good rates you can go by.  Don't use THEIR printer.

Question (d):
I have not looked.  I will and will comment later.

Yeah, they told me a decent shoot w/ hair and make-up would be $500 alone (which I'm more than certain I can get for atleast $300-$350 down here--maybe cheaper).  And that printing would be $300 0.0  As the computer repair and semi-decent PS user that I am (I like to make my own business cards on my comp and people compliment me on them a lot).  I'd rather cut and edit the comp card myself. (I can make them look exactly like all those other snazzy ones and then send it someone else to print.)  I know for a fact that Sam's Club does digital 8x12 prints for $.17 which is dynamite since its more expensive (paper & ink wise) to do it on your own printer (which mines is good, but no amazingly so).  My Dad might also know someone or be able to do a trade since he used to run and do some work on the AB Dick printers back in the day when he was a manager at a local print shop (ya' know the kind that used to make company logos and do *good* printing).

But the question still remains:
Will the agent have a brain embolism if I tell her that I want to design and print my own comp cards???

May 17 05 06:22 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Posted by MagicImagePhoto: 
You get what you pay for. In this case you are only paying for there representaion. The pictuers are just a way to get your business. There are millions of photographer that can help you set up a book for your portfolio. You are just paying them to get you employment. And true they cost alot of monie but the chances of you being what they are looking for is very slim unless you are what they are looking for. My work is just as good as any agencies photographer. But what you are buying is the name of the photographer and the name of the agency.I am positive you will find many expert photographers here on the Mayhem just ask... Bravo Magic Image Photography

I'd like to think if they're hiring me that they know their clients enough to know what they're doing.
Which could be either:
a) They're desparate for ANY decent plus-size models because there's a gapping hole in the market (entirely possible since there's really no market for plus-size in the south other than Atlanta, so thus, no models for such).  This would also explain the 5'5 thing.
b) They know exactly what their clients want and it's any decent looking plus-size they can get their hands on.

If it's either, I win.  The only lose situation is if they have no clue what their doing, which can be costly for any business venture to do.  I plan to find out if they've made that perennial 9yr goal that marks a business that's here to say--statistics have proven that if a new business is going to tank, it'll be in the first 9 yrs.

May 17 05 06:27 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Why would an agency based in New York be looking for mid-west plus-sized models for the Dallas market? It doesn't sound very reasonable to me. It seems like if they were a large enough agency to be working out of multiple cities, there's no way they'd be using Craig's list to recruit models.

Also, if they really are looking for fashion models, they wouldn't be interested in a model of your height. 5'5" is fine for commercial, but 5'5" plus-sized fashion model? Not bloody likely.

$900 for a photoshoot including hair, make-up, half a dozen prints and comps is probably not outrageously overpriced, but there are certainly better deals to be had.

May 17 05 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

I have to say with everyone else here who has said the same thing that I am about to say. FRAUD! No legitimate agency wants to see the same photos from the same photographer in your book.

And if the agency is really THAT legit and they REALLY want to work with you they would foot any initial expenses you might have as a result of being represented by them.

In many cases based on my experience they want you to already have your book in order. It also shows them you are serious about your work. Hell would you hire a contractor to build your house who doesn't have his own hammer?

I have heard of some agencies like Ford presenting a list of photographers that you could contact who do the type of work they are looking for. But it's almost always been a bad thing when they want you to use THEIR photographer.

May 17 05 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by theda: 
It seems like if they were a large enough agency to be working out of multiple cities, there's no way they'd be using Craig's list to recruit models.

And there, as usual from theda, you have the most insightful and succinct truth in this thread.

May 17 05 09:26 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

*pays Eric his compliment stipend*

May 17 05 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

No fair I did not know I had to pay.

I think just thinking you are great like chocalate cake with pink iceing is enough.

Wait I forgot the red from the spidey underoos.

I will buy pink margaritas but that is my limit.

May 17 05 11:53 pm Link