Forums > Model Colloquy > rash measures

Model

Sarah Prankha

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

So last night on a whim i decided to go blonde.

I'm not sure if it was a good decision or not... we'll see when I get used to it (or if i get used to it).

but I was wondering, as models its a lot harder (i think) to just do something spur of the moment to your appearance. How to you all deal with that?

I know i'm the sort of person who doesn't EVER change so when i get the inpulse to do it, i feel like i should, or it'll be another year of the same old thing. But, are we obligated to protect our appearance for the sake of jobs?

How/where do you draw the line?

Nov 06 05 12:45 pm Link

Model

SHAWN ANTONIA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

i guess you just have to deal.

i cried my eyes out when they made me cut my hair but it comes witht he job.

take it as a grain of salt and WORK IT no matter what!

Nov 06 05 12:54 pm Link

Model

AyeJay UK

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

It depends if your spur of the moment decisions are bad ideas or good ones. If your serious about your modeling then you have to take it into consideration.

Things i have decided not to do for the sake of modeling are...

not to get any tattoos.

Not to fight full contact kickboxing.

Not to take up rugby again

mess with my hair! when younger i had some weird haircuts.

I suppose id draw the line at sacrificing anything that makes me unhappy

Nov 06 05 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Moonlightflame wrote:

I'm not sure if it was a good decision or not...

A chameleon like quality is not a bad thing for models.  Ideally, every image in your portfolio should have people saying, "is that really the same person?"  That's called diversity and increasing the odds in being chosen for a variety of client campaigns.

Have fun, blondie!

Nov 06 05 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Moonlightflame wrote:

I'm not sure if it was a good decision or not... we'll see when I get used to it (or if i get used to it).

but I was wondering, as models its a lot harder (i think) to just do something spur of the moment to your appearance. How to you all deal with that?

I know i'm the sort of person who doesn't EVER change so when i get the inpulse to do it, i feel like i should, or it'll be another year of the same old thing. But, are we obligated to protect our appearance for the sake of jobs?

How/where do you draw the line?

I hope you did not have any jobs lined up with people who hired you before last night when you still had your other hair color.Especially if they were paying gigs. If so, watch out for shoot cancellations.

Nov 06 05 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Rowen

Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, US

Blonde?!?!  Hmmm....I dunno.  I'll have to see some pics and get used to that idea! smile

Since I'm not a model, I can't really comment on your question tho.  But, you already had that chameleon-like quality.  I'm always amazed and amused when people look at all the different pics we did together and almost all of them can't believe it's you in all the pics!  But, then again, maybe blonde will just further add to the confusion - which is a good thing! LOL!

Good luck!

-Ro

Nov 06 05 01:36 pm Link

Model

Inamourada Flux

Cheshunt, England, United Kingdom

What the hell! Go for it!

If I want to change my appearance, I'll go ahead and do it no matter how rash.
But I'm not modelling commercially, so it's not much of a problem. There'll still be a photographer out there that loves the new look smile

Nov 06 05 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Inamourada Flux wrote:
What the hell! Go for it!

If I want to change my appearance, I'll go ahead and do it no matter how rash.
But I'm not modelling commercially, so it's not much of a problem. There'll still be a photographer out there that loves the new look smile

-raising hand-

Nov 06 05 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Gerry

You know, I was at a big shoot with some 5 other photographers and one of the girls changed their hair color just beforehand.  I personally didn't mind - the same as about half of the photographers.  The other half were upset.

I guess it really depends on the people you're working with and, as Glamour Boulevard mentioned, if you have shoots pending based on your old look.

In the end, could be good - could be bad - might not matter at all.  But it is something you should at least consider if you're wanting to be or are a serious model.  I'm thinking though that any "lines" that might exist are different for each model and hard to exactly define.

Nov 06 05 02:16 pm Link

Model

Sarah Prankha

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I hope you did not have any jobs lined up with people who hired you before last night when you still had your other hair color.Especially if they were paying gigs. If so, watch out for shoot cancellations.

Oh I'm professional enough to not make those sort of mistakes. I feel like that is a very rude action - it can cause problems for everyone involved.

No, I'm simply too busy with school right now and with the holidays coming up i figured there will be a lull so i thought, what the heck.

Nov 06 05 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Moonlightflame wrote:

I feel like that is a very rude action

Are you saying I was rude in my reply?

Nov 06 05 02:58 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Are you saying I was rude in my reply?

No, shes saying it would be rude to change her haircolor if she had paying shoots coming up.

Nov 06 05 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Nemi wrote:

No, shes saying it would be rude to change her haircolor if she had paying shoots coming up.

ok,cool. I was trying to figure out how what I said was rude,lol.

Nov 06 05 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

I'm sure you look great as a blonde.  Just keep your roots touched up. wink

Paul

Nov 06 05 05:59 pm Link

Model

Sarah Prankha

Nemi wrote:

Thanks Katie, thats exactly what i meant.

No, your responce wasn't rude at all.

And Paul, its different, for sure. I'll get a picture up online soon and let everyone judge for themselves.

Nov 06 05 07:52 pm Link

Model

Sarah Levine

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

As a model you always have to be open to change.  A photographer can tell you what he/she is looking for, and if you want the job and want to be taken seriously, you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

As a matter of day to day life, however, you should be able to wear your hair/clothes/makeup/whatever exactly how you like it. 
Anyway, you can probably get just as many jobs being a blonde as you did before.

Nov 06 05 07:57 pm Link

Model

Sarah Prankha

just for fun here's the finished cut and color.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/ … C00577.jpg

I'm open to opinion.

Nov 06 05 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Rowen

Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, US

Oh gee!  When you said blonde I thought you mean like REALLY BLONDE - almost white hair!!!  LOL!

That finished look is very nice on you!  I like it!  It's not that much different than your previous look, just a few shades lighter.  Nice!  I wouldn't worry about it in terms of your modelling jobs at all.

-Ro

Nov 06 05 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

I think the lighter, bolder color will add punch to your work!  I like it.

Nov 06 05 11:47 pm Link