Forums > Photography Talk > Portable power question.

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

AJR Photography wrote:
Innovatronix makes a great unit or the more expensive "Vagabond" from Alien Bees should work for what you need !

I would not suggest the Tronix Explorer for running a light AND a fan... I wouldn't recommend it on the Vagabond either, unless it's the newer Vagabond 2.

The Tronix only has a 150W inverter and the last time I traveled with it, TSA made me drain the battery before clearing it. We hooked the battery up to one of those large fans which killed the battery in about 2 or 3 minutes. The rest of the charge was depleted by plugging in a lamp for the next 10-15 minutes.

Jul 19 07 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

Jul 19 07 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

FotograFree

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

man, you guys spend a lot on battery packs/generators.

i'd rather get this than the honda EU3000is. http://www.amazon.com/Kipor-3000-Genera … 04&sr=1-19

rated at the same power but $400 less. and it's true sine wave.

if you need 1,500watts: http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-Technolog … 86-1016715
only $350.

i just bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-852-2000- … 86-1016715
only $130 for 600watts.

only problem with the Xantrex stuff is that they are modified sine wave instead of true sine wave. i just got mine so i will test it out with my cheapo strobes soon. i did read thru the reviews and they work with variable speed power tools.

Jul 19 07 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

When money is on the line, the reliability of a major brand name is worth much more than that. I can't see ever trusting an "off brand" name for a critical component of my work. And if it DID crap out, how readily available is service? At $1500 for a 3000W Honda, I feel very comfortable in my performance at the job. And, heaven forbid, if I ever did have a problem, Honda has an extensive network.

Jul 19 07 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

FotograFree wrote:

i'd rather get this than the honda EU3000is. http://www.amazon.com/Kipor-3000-Genera … 04&sr=1-19

only $350.

only $130 for 600watts.

only problem with the Xantrex stuff is that they are modified sine wave instead of true sine wave. i just got mine so i will test it out with my cheapo strobes soon. i did read thru the reviews and they work with variable speed power tools.

I had looked at the Xantrax 1500 unit last year and was ready to buy, but the dough was the issue. I own the 1000 power inverter. I might still purchase the 1500 portable unit. I think that it'll do what I need. Frys sell the unit.

Jul 19 07 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Bradley Phillips

Buffalo, New York, US

I just sent my vagabond back because with my travelights (750) they lasted for less then two hours without modeling light! (1 hour and 1/2, maybe). went straight out and rented a honda gen. it lasted more then 5 hours of shooting with out complications.

Jul 19 07 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

FotograFree

Second Glance wrote:
When money is on the line, the reliability of a major brand name is worth much more than that. I can't see ever trusting an "off brand" name for a critical component of my work. And if it DID crap out, how readily available is service? At $1500 for a 3000W Honda, I feel very comfortable in my performance at the job. And, heaven forbid, if I ever did have a problem, Honda has an extensive network.

money IS on the line, which is why i would pick the Kipor. saving $400-600 is a lot of money. that's a lens right there or even a backup camera body.

i think i linked the outdated model, here's the newer one:
http://www.amazon.com/Kipor-Sinemaster- … 151&sr=8-1

oddly, here's 1 guy's review:
"This generator is quiet, reliable, and mine has started every time without much effort. I believe these are along the quality of Yamaha and Honda for about half the price. Would definitely buy another."

typical price of a honda is $2K, this one is $1,200. i just can't see myself paying an extra $800 for the "brand name."

Jul 19 07 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

bump.

Jul 19 07 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

fStopstudios

Lowell, Massachusetts, US

FotograFree wrote:

only $350.

only $130 for 600watts.

let me know when you strap one on your back and pull a 10-12 hour day on location.

Jul 19 07 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

FotograFree

fStopstudios wrote:

let me know when you strap one on your back and pull a 10-12 hour day on location.

why on earth would you strap it on your back?? the Kipor and the Xantrex 1500 both have wheels. the 600watter is rated at 29lbs, but less than 25lbs on my scale. if you can't lift 25lbs, then that's your problem. lol

Jul 19 07 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

fStopstudios

Lowell, Massachusetts, US

FotograFree wrote:
why on earth would you strap it on your back?? the Kipor and the Xantrex 1500 both have wheels. the 600watter is rated at 29lbs, but less than 25lbs on my scale. if you can't lift 25lbs, then that's your problem. lol

Well 600w/s ain't going to do shit for me when I'm running a couple 2500w/s heads.  Last week I hiked 5 hours up a mountain with my "expensive" pack and made it there perfectly fine. Point being-- one size doesn't fit all.

Jul 19 07 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

FotograFree

fStopstudios wrote:

Well 600w/s ain't going to do shit for me when I'm running a couple 2500w/s heads.  Last week I hiked 5 hours up a mountain with my "expensive" pack and made it there perfectly fine. Point being-- one size doesn't fit all.

that's fine. but we don't have mountains in illinois, so there's no reason i should be strapping anything on my back.

if you've found another option to power your equipment that weighs less than what i posted, then good for you.

i posted the kipor and xantrex just as a comparison to the honda generator. they weigh close enough to each other.

smile

Jul 19 07 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

FotograFree wrote:

that's fine. but we don't have mountains in illinois, so there's no reason i should be strapping anything on my back.

if you've found another option to power your equipment that weighs less than what i posted, then good for you.

i posted the kipor and xantrex just as a comparison to the honda generator. they weigh close enough to each other.

smile

The Xantrex was on my list from last year. I'm talking the one with the wheels. I had recommended that one on here more than once. I'll purchase it tomorrow. Cheaper at frys than on Amazon after taxes.

Jul 19 07 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Problem solved. I went out and purchased the Xantrex 1500 portable unit. I was going to buy the unit last year but money was the issue. Thanx to the photographer that listed this along with other units. These things are selling like crazy. I had to go way out of my way to another Frys Electronic store to purchase the system. 299.99 is a good deal.

Jul 20 07 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Mark M Gong

New York, New York, US

Good price, but are you sure the modified sine inverter won't damage your lights?  they aren't 100% true sine waves like the honda generators.

Jul 20 07 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Mark M Gong wrote:
Good price, but are you sure the modified sine inverter won't damage your lights?  they aren't 100% true sine waves like the honda generators.

Jul 20 07 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Update: Looks like I'm having some issues with the Xantrex unit. I can plug a fridge and it'll run it, but the batter is low only because it isn't full charged. But when I try my Travelite on it, it goes down in power and the 'fault' light comes on.

I tried another test and used my 1000 watt power inverter from the same company (first time ever using since I purchased the unit last year.). I hooked it up to my car battery and the exact same thing happen. The fault light came on. I'm wondering if the modified sine wave is playing a role in this? What do you think? Seeing that I only used 150 watts and not even 750 watts.

Legacy

Jul 21 07 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

TestShoot

Beverly Hills, California, US

Sinewaves are only important if you are running an antique of a pack and head that is at hte end of its lifecycle anyway. It is not going to effect the quality of the photo, and with packs the way they are, they are known to be used all over the place at random environments and account for that in construction.

I have a $600 portable battery which is the size of a small cooler that does well for computers and appliances, and I got a $200 garage sale gas genny that I use on everything from Profoto packs to microwaves to Arriflex systems. We have attached that unit to movie camera systems that are worth more than most people will make in their lives.

The genny requires sometimes that you get a permit from a fire marshall depending on the location.

Jul 21 07 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

TestShoot wrote:
Sinewaves are only important if you are running an antique of a pack and head that is at hte end of its lifecycle anyway. It is not going to effect the quality of the photo, and with packs the way they are, they are known to be used all over the place at random environments and account for that in construction.

I have a $600 portable battery which is the size of a small cooler that does well for computers and appliances, and I got a $200 garage sale gas genny that I use on everything from Profoto packs to microwaves to Arriflex systems. We have attached that unit to movie camera systems that are worth more than most people will make in their lives.

The genny requires sometimes that you get a permit from a fire marshall depending on the location.

Well,

I'm not sure what the problem is here. I ran a fridge of the unit at low power and it ran fine. I tested my Travelite on both the 1500 portable and the 1000 watt inverter from the same company and the fault light comes on, on both units. But I keep reading that pure sine wave is a must even for the modern stuff.

Jul 21 07 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

TestShoot

Beverly Hills, California, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
Well,

I'm not sure what the problem is here. I ran a fridge of the unit at low power and it ran fine. I tested my Travelite on both the 1500 portable and the 1000 watt inverter from the same company and the fault light comes on, on both units. But I keep reading that pure sine wave is a must even for the modern stuff.

Have you had pure "sinewaves" all this time already? Say anything about it in the manual? Doubtful. It is more likely your power delivery unit or the age of the PCB than the sinewaves or snakeoil modifier. While in theory they may make it work a little longer it is like religion. Some people will pray and say it works other will and nothing and call it quackery. Who is right and who is wrong?

My neighbor that works on guidance systems at NASA's JPL says that sinewave modifiers and line conditioners are like those charcoal filters they tell you to put on your cellphone to protect you from brain frying radiation. When we put in my home theater (which he uses mre than I) he helped me unpack my gear and took off with my reciepts and Monster Power conditioners and got my money back.

https://web.telia.com/~u66005454/hackenbush.jpg

Jul 21 07 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

TestShoot wrote:

Have you had pure "sinewaves" all this time already? Say anything about it in the manual? Doubtful. It is more likely your power delivery unit or the age of the PCB than the sinewaves or snakeoil modifier. While in theory they may make it work a little longer it is like religion. Some people will pray and say it works other will and nothing and call it quackery. Who is right and who is wrong?

My neighbor that works on guidance systems at NASA's JPL says that sinewave modifiers and line conditioners are like those charcoal filters they tell you to put on your cellphone to protect you from brain frying radiation. When we put in my home theater (which he uses mre than I) he helped me unpack my gear and took off with my reciepts and Monster Power conditioners and got my money back.

https://web.telia.com/~u66005454/hackenbush.jpg

Ditto. I came to the same conclusion that it is the power deliver that is bad. So I'm taking it back later this morning. Strobes are new.

Jul 22 07 04:53 am Link