Forums > Model Colloquy > Models And Adverse Weather Conditions

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

What do you say to working in weather conditions like snow, cold california rain,etc?

"Cool, i`m game!"
Or
"What? Me? Get cold and/or wet? No way, where is the air conditioned/heated studio with the lounge and the bowl of M&M`s without the green ones!"

I hear from so many models who think the shot is all about them and not about the "big picture".

Nov 07 05 08:28 pm Link

Model

Sarah Prankha

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

suck it up!

I'll bitch and moan the whole time in my head but when i see the shots, damn is it worth it.

The golden hour shot in my port was freezing. It was like 40 degrees, the sun wasn't yet up and i'm standing in a thin white nighty. but damn. do i love that picture.

Nov 07 05 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Moonlightflame wrote:
suck it up!

I'll bitch and moan the whole time in my head but when i see the shots, damn is it worth it.

The golden hour shot in my port was freezing. It was like 40 degrees, the sun wasn't yet up and i'm standing in a thin white nighty. but damn. do i love that picture.

There needs to be more like you smile
I ,too, love the Golden hour for shooting. I love the shot you are talking about of yours. Heck I love them all and wish you were closer,lol.

This thread came to mind when I was talking to someone about a model I worked with who was 15. She wanted to do some swimwear shots in the fountain at the park down town. It was about 45 degrees outside. She did not shiver or complain once. About 5 minutes into shooting her there I told her we had some great shots. She looked through them on my digitals monitor and said she wanted to do some more. I said are you sure, its 45 degrees out here and youre soakin wet. she said its ok im completely numb now, I cant feel a thing, lets shoot some more, I have some other poses I want.
Then there is the model in my art nudes who on her own crawled around on rough boulders and sandstone ground to do some nudes she wanted to do. We shot for about an hour, golden hour actually. Still one of my all time favorite shoots and my favorite model.
There really is something to be said about a "trooper model".

Nov 07 05 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

As for the temps, the real test is the sunrise shoot - not the sunset shoot.  Those first few minutes after sunrise are the coldest of the day.  At least in my case, where you are shooting nudes near sunset, the boulders hold heat and radiate warmth for quite a while and can extend the comfort period.

I gotta give a shout out to two of the real troopers that have worked with me.  Raverchic #40800 was a real trooper - the shot of mine "Melissa at sunrise" can't begin to picture how cold it was that morning (you could see your breath out there) - and not a glimmer of difficulty - and we both got some shots that morning to be happy with.

Another was Chioma #17346 - who shot with me at the other extreme - it was 105+ the day of the shoot and the rocks were too hot to touch until about sunset - never mind pose on.  Our "golden hour" was really about 30 min. that day - and she was a total pro - and we got a lot done because of her adaptability.

VintageV

Nov 07 05 11:11 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Usually I'm up for working in nasty weather, but it depends on circumstances.

Nov 08 05 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Wicked Reflections

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
What do you say to working in weather conditions like snow, cold california rain,etc?

"Cool, i`m game!"
Or
"What? Me? Get cold and/or wet? No way, where is the air conditioned/heated studio with the lounge and the bowl of M&M`s without the green ones!"

I hear from so many models who think the shot is all about them and not about the "big picture".

I have one model I work with who has the perfect attitude...she's up for it if I am. Snow in a bathing suit? Fine as long as that's what I'm wearing while shooting too. Ice cold waterfall, guess who's going for a swim... now that's big picture smile

Nov 08 05 07:33 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

i have been burned , scratched , bitten 'bugs' , harassed by ex-girlfriends , interagated by friends , and turned-on by a few hotties.....

but its still worth it...lol ..

Nov 08 05 07:40 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Ahhh, gotta love the great outdoors!!!

I'm waiting for the cold weather and snow to hit before I got out shooting in the snow.

Can't WAIT! smile

Nov 08 05 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Seth Rutledge

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Wicked Reflections wrote:
I have one model I work with who has the perfect attitude...she's up for it if I am. Snow in a bathing suit? Fine as long as that's what I'm wearing while shooting too. Ice cold waterfall, guess who's going for a swim... now that's big picture smile

Now that's parity!  Does this mean for nudes, you're shooting in the buff?

Nov 08 05 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

First of all, as a photographer, my first rule is model safety.  If the model doesn't feel she can make it to a shoot due to the weather, that's fine with me.  Just so long as she calls to let me know in advance so I don't risk my life getting to the studio...

That being said, most of my work is indoors, but when I shoot outdoors, I prefer a day with a uniform sky.  Either completely cloudy (no rain) or sunny.  That way a passing cloud doesn't screw with the camera settings and ruin a shot.  For many of my outdoor shots, the models will be on the ground, so actually overcast is prefered so they can look up and look at the camera without squinting...

But remember, safety first!

Nov 08 05 07:50 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Moraxian wrote:
First of all, as a photographer, my first rule is model safety.  If the model doesn't feel she can make it to a shoot due to the weather, that's fine with me.  Just so long as she calls to let me know in advance so I don't risk my life getting to the studio...

That being said, most of my work is indoors, but when I shoot outdoors, I prefer a day with a uniform sky.  Either completely cloudy (no rain) or sunny.  That way a passing cloud doesn't screw with the camera settings and ruin a shot.  For many of my outdoor shots, the models will be on the ground, so actually overcast is prefered so they can look up and look at the camera without squinting...

That's not fun. You set too many parameters. LOL

You gotta get outdoors more often. You'll LOVE it. smile

Nov 08 05 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

VRG Photography wrote:

That's not fun. You set too many parameters. LOL

You gotta get outdoors more often. You'll LOVE it. smile

I'd love to, but you know, it raises a lot of questions when doing damsel-in-distress photography out in public.  Occaisonally I do train track shoots (unused tracks, models tied to the tracks looking frantic), and I did some outdoor photos with Kerri Taylor last Sunday (tied her to a chain link fence near the studio), but in reality, most of the photos I do will need to be indoors by necessity...

Nov 08 05 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Wicked Reflections

Seth Rutledge wrote:

Now that's parity!  Does this mean for nudes, you're shooting in the buff?

With her, if it's shitty weather then yes...I dropped 'em, my assistant thought it was hilarious until the model said it was her turn, drop 'em or out ya go. I was too busy laughing to protest, and I know her well enough that she can be a smart ass with me and we rarely do nudes...however, with her I don't think I'll ever combine nude with ice cold waterfall...I draw the line at shrinkage.

Nov 08 05 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Cory Morhart Photo

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

"Cool, i`m game!"
Or

For some of us we don't have much choice, there are 4 inches of snow on the ground and its still coming down like crazy.  Winter lasts far too long here.  Choices are to use the weather or shoot in the studio.  There are many times I am glad to have the studio.

Nov 08 05 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Cory Morhart Photo

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Today is one of those days I like the studio.  This is the view out my window right now.

https://www.infinitenetwork.org/mm/snow.jpg

Nov 08 05 10:57 am Link

Photographer

PhotoBob

San Antonio, Texas, US

Well I work with many models outdoors and I agree morning is a lot harder than evening, however I have had great luck in finding ladies that CARE about the results enough to not only get out there but get out there at ungodly hours.  The ones that think a dawn shoot is not for them are quickly dismissed from my shooting schedule.  I love to work with ladies that have a vision and are willing to work towards it.
  In late Feb of 2006 I am going to have the opportunity to work with three more great ARTISTC models Natalya (MM 21723), Sarah (MM 9510) and a third model who is not on MM yet.  These are great trips put on by Bobby Sragent (MM 13500) and I can tell you we have had shooting conditions from sleet all the way to 100+ degrees on some of our trips and the ladies always want to come back for more when they see the results. 
  Yes safety plays into it, you have to watch out in the extreme tempetures to both dehydration, heatstroke and hypothermia.  Judicious breaks, knowing your limits and planning help alot there. 

Bob

Nov 08 05 11:20 am Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

"Cool, i`m game!"
Or

I would be game! Definitley!
snow, rain, sleet, hail, hot weather! Lets do it! it makes it all the more adventurous!!!
If a model has a weather preference, then id say shes not going to go far at all, she needs to suck it up and go with the flow!!!

Nov 08 05 11:22 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

God send me more models who love shooting out of doors.  That and some low clouds and rain.

Nov 08 05 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Wicked Reflections

commart wrote:
God send me more models who love shooting out of doors.  That and some low clouds and rain.

Sorry, I've already grabbed all of them that I could get. Had one yesterday who hopped right into a rather cold waterfall and splashed around for an hour before rolling about on the rocks, logs, leaves, etc...

I may be willing to discuss bribes to share a few though wink

Nov 08 05 11:38 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

CM Photography wrote:
Today is one of those days I like the studio.  This is the view out my window right now.

i would say this would cause my models some nipple plumage.....

Nov 08 05 11:39 am Link

Model

SHAWN ANTONIA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

The Don Mon wrote:

i would say this would cause my models some nipple plumage.....

I HAVE DONE A SWIMSUIT SHOOT IN THE DEAD OF WINTER OUTSIDE.

BRRRRRR

Nov 08 05 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Well, Wicked, I'm looking for more of tall, dramatic, willful, and wild--a match for the season, full of motion, great presence on film.

smile

Maybe I'll just pray to the spirit of Helmut . . . .

Nov 08 05 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

The Don Mon wrote:
i have been burned , scratched , bitten 'bugs' , harassed by ex-girlfriends , interagated by friends , and turned-on by a few hotties.....

but its still worth it...lol ..

-looks at thread title, then at Don with a very confused look-

Nov 08 05 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Moraxian wrote:

I think this warrants another confused look,lol.

Nov 08 05 07:10 pm Link

Model

SHAWN ANTONIA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

also confused

Nov 08 05 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Putting on my Traveling Photo Shoot trips we hit all kinds of weather.  I had Yulia and Carly out in Grants New Mexico in May.  The temps are usually in the 70-80's. But you can never count on USUALLY.  This trip the am sunrise shots were down in the 40's and a nice wind was blowing.  Getting out before the sun came up was a real pain.  Those girls did a fantastic job.  They took sleeping bags with them and when it was their turn to shoot off came the bags and off came the clothes.  When they hit that cold point they ran back to the bags to get warm. 

Then we have been at the other end.  Hot and hot again.  I seem to find the models who love the outdoors and know that when you go on a trip you pays your money and takes your chances. 

Yulia,Jill,Carly,Lalinn have to be the best models I have ever worked with for cold weather.  They know what they want and are willing to do whatever it takes to get the shot.

Yulia will be back for more in Boise Idaho in April.  Will see how she handles the rivers and maybe snow in Idaho.  bs

Nov 08 05 07:51 pm Link

Model

Phoenix E

some of my best photos (by perry) were taken at the oregon coast in freezing weather......i was literally shaking most of the day, had horrible goosebumps--with clothing on....and then i spent hours naked.......but goddamn, i would do it again in a heart beat smile

Nov 08 05 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Moraxian wrote:

I'd love to, but you know, it raises a lot of questions when doing damsel-in-distress photography out in public.  Occaisonally I do train track shoots (unused tracks, models tied to the tracks looking frantic), and I did some outdoor photos with Kerri Taylor last Sunday (tied her to a chain link fence near the studio), but in reality, most of the photos I do will need to be indoors by necessity...

Ah, I see. LOL

Yeah, maybe you need to stay inside, and just turn the air on "Alaska" or something. smile

Nov 08 05 10:40 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

CM Photography wrote:

I would shoot in that! naked even!!!big_smile

Nov 08 05 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Wow. smile

Gotta love models like you. smile

Nov 08 05 11:05 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/ … 53copy.jpg

That was shot last year at Mt. Charleston (45 minutes north of Las Vegas) in 27 degree weather... nudes followed this in the series. By the time we were done, my socks had frozen inside of my tennis shoes which were laying off to the side. This was shot for my Christmas card, my parents and family back at home in Colorado got a big kick out of this.

Just got back from Sedona/Flagstaff, Arizona where on Sunday night I shot in about 45 degree weather (give or take a few) while naked on granite at 9,000 feet near the Snow Bowl.

I love extreme shoots in extreme weather!

Nov 08 05 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

CHIAN wrote:
also confused

not just me then, whew!

Nov 08 05 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Brandy wrote:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c374/brandyb03/Snow053copy.jpg

That was shot last year at Mt. Charleston (45 minutes north of Las Vegas) in 27 degree weather... nudes followed this in the series. By the time we were done, my socks had frozen inside of my tennis shoes which were laying off to the side. This was shot for my Christmas card, my parents and family back at home in Colorado got a big kick out of this.

Just got back from Sedona/Flagstaff, Arizona where on Sunday night I shot in about 45 degree weather (give or take a few) while naked on granite at 9,000 feet near the Snow Bowl.

I love extreme shoots in extreme weather!

Nice shot! I love it!

You have any sisters who live in Chicago, perhaps? LOL

Nov 09 05 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I have to give credit to most of the models that I've worked with. 108 & 72% humidity in Phoenix one day and 28 degrees in Bishop the next...Either way, it's about the shot and if the shot comes out good, then it's worth it...

Nov 09 05 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

I think this warrants another confused look,lol.

Believe me, I'm pretty confused with a lot of things... I wrote this more about playing it safe in getting to a shoot with weather.  I guess when the driveway up to the studio is on about a 15 degree grade, you need to consider winter weather as part of the issue...  smile

Nov 09 05 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

VRG Photography wrote:

Ah, I see. LOL

Yeah, maybe you need to stay inside, and just turn the air on "Alaska" or something. smile

LOL - I have enough models say they're cold in the studio when they're under the lights and the heat is on!

Nov 09 05 08:21 am Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

then there's people like me-who go out in the cold for a few minutes and can't breathe.
some people cannot handle the cold.
i'm one of them.

Nov 09 05 09:22 am Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

VRG Photography wrote:

Nice shot! I love it!

You have any sisters who live in Chicago, perhaps? LOL

Nope, no sisters whatsoever... THANK GOD! No Brothers either woohoo!~

Nov 09 05 11:29 am Link