Forums > Critique > Critique me please?

Photographer

Enderes

SAYLORSBURG, Pennsylvania, US

Just looking for some comments on my portfolio. . . check it out!

Nov 14 05 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

I'm no expert, but I'll put my 2 cents' worth in...You have some really good strong images in your port, and a few that look more or less like snapshots, i.e., "brandon", or "sophie & christina". I'd lose the snapshot-looking photos and concentrate more on the stronger photos like "mike" and "marie" (the headshot specifically).

Nov 14 05 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

the Andrea shots are cool as hell, the rest blow monkey chunks.

Nov 14 05 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Enderes

Blow monkey chunks?geez looks like we DEFINATELY HAVE different styles lol

Nov 15 05 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Cspine wrote:

You been smokin' crack? None of her work "blows monkey chucks". You might want to turn your critical eye to your own page.....
There's no reason for you to be nasty now really......

Nov 15 05 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Enderes wrote:
Just looking for some comments on my portfolio. . . check it out!

I think you're off to a great start and you are showing much potential.
Keep in up.....

Nov 15 05 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Cspine wrote:

What a hell of a thing to say to someone........tool. Have you looked at some of the shit in your own portfolio before calling someone else's stuff monkey chunks?

Enderes, I think you have a good artistic eye and sense for style, and you are unique in your own style. It all depends on what you are going for, only you know if a certain expression was what you were going after....but here are my first impressions as I go through your portfolio.

Brittany is a pretty model and seems limber........I'd work with her again and see what you can do to bring out her energy a little more....give it a little more climax, those are decent images and good poses. She shows great promise. Brandon looks bored, work on his facial expressions. Mike has a sour face, I think it would be a little better if he was looking just a tad away from the camera, like Albert. ...making it look less posed......good image though, well done on the B&W and setting. Andrea's pics are great, she's pretty.....especially the first one.....I think the second image would be better if she;d lose the bra (Not to sound pervy, but with white tops, it can be an issue with bras) Albert's images kick ass, that is what I was talking about, almost candid.....he's good, excellent work to both of you. Sophie needs energy on her solo pics, Albert brought out a little life in her....the candid one is better of her solos. I like the 2 girl headshot. The first and third Brandon images are great, for whatever reason the middle one doesn't have the same oomph. I say this as a straight guy, not easy LOL....Marie, I think the close up is the best......again, with her I'd work on bringing out energy and expression in her......she's repetitive with her demeanor. I hope this helps, you have a great start and a few really strong images.....keep up the good work and don't give up!
                                         Jay

Nov 15 05 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Charles Productions

Los Angeles, California, US

you have a good Eye!!!. but here is some things iwould do if I were you .

Give your subjects more head room (dont cut off limbs and heads). i.e albert is a great shot but his fro is cut off. How are you going to cut off a mans fro.
you might want to do all your Croping after you render or develop your pictures.

If you have photoshop mess with the Levels .(mid tones highlights and shadows)like the 4th marie shot where she is wearing red. if you added some shadow you would not see that white filmy look on her. looks more natural.

do some stuff with color like make the bacround and what your models are wearing work together. The one of albert looks good . nice earth tones.

Also look at other peoples stuff and read their critique. and write some too for them. it will train your eye.

MOST IMPORTANT keep shooting . you have an EYE

Nov 15 05 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

FUGITIVE ON THE RUN

Brawley, California, US

HERE'S A LITTLE HELP. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT IDEA BUT THE WRONG ANGLES IN MANY SHOTS. THE FIRST GIRL SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE HER BACK CURVED LIKE THAT BECAUSE IT DOES NOT DO ANY JUSTICE FOR HER, AND SHE IS GOOD LOOKING BUT NOT THE POSE. I AGREE MANY SHOTS THE LIGHTING MAKES IT LOOK LIKE A SNAP SHOT. BUT HERE IS THE BIGGEST OF THEM ALL. THE BEST PHOTO'S ARE SNAP SHOTS IF THEY WERE NOT PLANNED OR POSED AND THERE IS NOT A RIGHT OR WRONG PHOTO THIS IS WHY IT IS CALLED ART. WHAT YOU LIKE AND WHAT OTHERS LIKE MAY BE TOTALLY DIFFERENT BUT IS YOU ARE SHOOTING FOR A CLIENT THEN YOU NEED TO RESPECT WHAT THE CLIENT WANTS.
SOMETHING TO GO BY. HOPE IT HELPS.

Nov 15 05 08:10 pm Link

Model

Emma Leigh

Thank you i appreciate all of your comments after mister monkey chunks! lol and i do take all of it into consideration!
Thanks again
Emily

Nov 21 05 12:34 am Link