Forums > Critique > Which of my Ultraviolet Shots is Best?

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

I have 2 shots in my portfolio which were lit with ultraviolet flash. Which one do you like best?

Thanks,
Glen

Nov 16 05 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

Kool.
Both are good but last one rocks more.
I have an UV flash but not yet tried it on anything.
What flash did you use and how did u set exposure ?
E L

Nov 16 05 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

E L Fanucchi wrote:
Kool.
Both are good but last one rocks more.
I have an UV flash but not yet tried it on anything.
What flash did you use and how did u set exposure ?
E L

For the flash, I used a 2-inch square Kodak Wratten ultraviolet filter, No, 18A, placed over a common shoe-mount flash. I don't think this filter is available any longer, but there are equivalent filters made by other companies. (They are also very expensive!)

For the exposure, I believe I metered the reflected light from the swimsuit with a flash meter.

This was a few years ago, and the details are a bit fuzzy at this time, but I do remember using Kodachrome 64 film, because it provided much better colors than the other films I tried for this purpose.

These days, I use a DSLR. I take a few test shots, to get the exposure correct. I then delete the test shots from the camera and shoot my "real" shots. I plan to have some new UV shots online in the future, which will be shot with my DSLR.

One more thing:  On the camera, you might also want to use a UV-blocking filter. This can help prevent any reflected UV from adversely affecting the color balance of your desired image.

take care,
Glen

Nov 20 05 07:29 pm Link