Forums > Critique > Criticism Welcome

Photographer

Lem Loyola

West Covina, California, US

I've been shooting for a few months now and I like to think I'm getting better at it but I don't know. I have about seven shoots under my belt and I'd like some honest criticism on the photos on my page. Let me know what you like and what you don't. Just let me know how I can improve and continue to improve. Thanks!

Nov 16 05 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Nice shootin'!

Step out of the portrait box, open the frame, and from time to time ask a model to actually do (activity---->action) something, so that what you're excising with the shutter is a moment within some real or suggested process.

Nov 16 05 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

If you've only been shooting for a few months you're doing really well. Already better then lots of photogs that claim many years experience........

Nov 16 05 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Lem Loyola

Thanks for the comments. I'll try some shots where the model is actually doing something other than just posing. In fact, I'll try it this weekend with my shoot. I'll be sure to post the pictures up too.

Nov 17 05 01:45 am Link

Photographer

Lem Loyola

Funny thing though, when my shots were worse, I got a lot more feedback. It's like people like to only critique negatively. They reversed the old adage, now they say, "if you can't say anything mean, don't say anything at all."

Nov 17 05 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Justin Huang

Irvine, California, US

left you a comment on the skateboard one!

Nov 17 05 02:15 am Link

Photographer

Adam Bouska

Palm Springs, California, US

Nice use of light.  I think you are doing great for just starting out.  Experience is key.  Don't let the negative comments get to ya, just keep shooting.

Nov 17 05 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Lem Loyola

somebody please tear my work apart piece by piece.

Nov 18 05 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

There's not much to tear apart, man! Your work is great considering how long you've been doing this. The only one I don't think is up to par is the girl with the skateboard, and it's just underexposed a little. Nothing a little Photoshop couldn't cure.

You'll have to put up some crappy shots to get people to tear you apart! smile

Nov 18 05 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Lem Loyola

Thanks! Well, let's say I've been shooting for a couple of years. Now nitpick at my photos.

Nov 18 05 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ok, you want it. Your photos lack "pop" for the most part. Most are flat. They would benefit from levels/curves tweaking. Also the beach shots with the white top, the whites are blown out. I don't know what you are shooting, I assume it is digital. If your camera has the ability to display histograms, use it. Histograms carry a wealth of information about an image and will show if you are blowing out highlights.

Overall, the photos are good - just IMHO, they can use a bit of tweaking.

Nov 18 05 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

Lem Loyola wrote:
somebody please tear my work apart piece by piece.

IMHO
Composition B+. Your composition is excellent considering the length of time you have been shooting. When shooting learn to look for expressions, neck creases when they turn their head, waist creases when they turn at the waist little details that improve an image. If the image calls for it keep the entire subject in the image if not look at the cropping for the biggest impact.

Lighting C+. A lot of the images are too dark and more are dull which is easily fixed in PS but better fixed when taken. Again considering the length of time you have been shooting you are way ahead of a lot shooting way longer than yourself.

Last PS is your friend. Learn to use it and whether you use it sparingly or overuse it to create your ideas, learn to use it well and it will reward you.

Everyone you shoot would love to look better than they think they do in real life and PS can give them that dream and they will love you for it.

Nov 18 05 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

BobbyGPhoto

Houston, Texas, US

2 things I would work on is framing and exposure levels.  Most of your images have the subject almost dead center...too portraiturish (is that a word??LOL).  Frame the model left or right and use the background as an enhancement BUT make sure the background DOESN'T detract or overpower your subject...

It appears that your images lack some "pop".  Either work that histogram or tweak levels and curves in post.  I tend to try and shoot 1/2 stop underexposed.  For me (especially when outdoors) I tend to have more control than if OVEREXPOSED...Your images lack the POP that makes the viewer want to study it longer..

Lastly, on most forums, images that freekin rock or really suck will get the most response.  Usually if you are getting little to no replies its because its not good enough to WOW anyone, yet not so bad anyone is compelled to beat you up either...Keep shooting my friend, you are off to a great start....

Nov 18 05 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Lem Loyola

Thank you everyone for your replies. I completely agree with all of the comments and I'll be sure to put them to good use when I shoot. Hopefully you'll have more critiques for me when I get new pictures up in the near future.

Nov 19 05 01:11 am Link

Model

May-Lu

Austin, Indiana, US

EyeOnYouModels wrote:
Already better then lots of photogs that claim many years experience........

That was exactly what I was thinking!

Nov 19 05 01:13 am Link

Photographer

Justin Huang

Irvine, California, US

Jeff Fiore wrote:
Ok, you want it. Your photos lack "pop" for the most part. Most are flat. They would benefit from levels/curves tweaking. Also the beach shots with the white top, the whites are blown out. I don't know what you are shooting, I assume it is digital. If your camera has the ability to display histograms, use it. Histograms carry a wealth of information about an image and will show if you are blowing out highlights.

Overall, the photos are good - just IMHO, they can use a bit of tweaking.

i agree with this. do you do any photoshop? i do, you should too

Nov 19 05 01:14 am Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

May-Lu wrote:

That was exactly what I was thinking!

Well, then you are probably as smart as you are beautiful!
:-)

Nov 19 05 01:17 am Link

Model

May-Lu

Austin, Indiana, US

EyeOnYouModels wrote:

Well, then you are probably as smart as you are beautiful!
:-)

*blush*  smile

Nov 19 05 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Lem Loyola

Justin the photographer wrote:

i agree with this. do you do any photoshop? i do, you should too

No, I don't do any PS because I don't know how. I'm new to this photography thing and I'll be taking some PS classes soon.

Nov 21 05 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Justin Huang

Irvine, California, US

Lem Loyola wrote:

No, I don't do any PS because I don't know how. I'm new to this photography thing and I'll be taking some PS classes soon.

oh there's some basic things you should pick up. curves, clone, dodge/burn. i found the healing brush doesn't work for me, but a lot of people like it. auto-levels can help correct white balance, too. the more advanced stuff i do requires blending multiple layers, with filters or other adjustments on the layers. im no photoshop guru though. wish i was

Nov 21 05 02:47 am Link

Photographer

Lem Loyola

Justin the photographer wrote:

oh there's some basic things you should pick up. curves, clone, dodge/burn. i found the healing brush doesn't work for me, but a lot of people like it. auto-levels can help correct white balance, too. the more advanced stuff i do requires blending multiple layers, with filters or other adjustments on the layers. im no photoshop guru though. wish i was

Thanks for the advice, but it's all jargon to me at the moment.

Nov 21 05 02:51 am Link