Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Off topic: Woo Hoo! Afleet Alex Won!!!!

Photographer

FYH Photo

Santa Clara, California, US

YEAH!  I am so jazzed.  AFLEET ALEX just won the Preakness.  Now before you roll your eyes at someone excited at a horse race, just let me say this:

Afleet Alex was named after Alex Scott, the brave 8 year girl dying of cancer, who started Alex’s Lemonade Stand to raise money for childhood cancer.  The charity lemonade stand has branched out over many cities and overseas as well.  They raised over a million dollars for the charity.

Sadly Alex Scott died last year and she never got to see her horse run.  The owners of Afleet Alex are five business owners (not super rich guys but successful enough), one of them a cancer patient himself.  Alex Scott’s mother and little brother accompany the owners to the races and sit in their box.  “Afleet Alex” LOST the Kentucky Derby to “Giacomo” a few weeks ago at the very last second even though he was leading throughout the final stretch.

But the last point – Afleet Alex’s purse winnings are donated to fight Childhood Cancer, and this is why I support that horse and every race he enters. 

Thanks for your patience in wading through my post.  But I am just thrilled that he won.  smile

May 21 05 07:35 pm Link