Forums > General Industry > How to get (temporarily) rid of a TATTOO:

Photographer

Photography by Sharyn

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

StrixPix wrote:

https://i44.tinypic.com/erbczp.jpg

Wonderful stuff.

I watched that video but I wondered how it would work if you have skin that changes a lot. Would you have to have like 10 different tubes?
I tan super dark in the sun (I hate it!) and go super pale in the winter. It sucks!

I'm also curious to know whether it would cover some of the massive motocross bruises I get like the current one, where I have one giant bruise from my shoulder nearly to my elbow and it's all sorts of fun purple/green/yellow/red/pink/black/grey shades... Then I have more on my forearms, inside arm, knees, thigh and hip. I look like I'm a beaten wife!
I'd rather show off my tatt's than my bruises but wearing long sleeves is hard when it's so hot here LOL

Nov 11 11 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Varton

New York, New York, US

Scott Aitken wrote:
And I agree that photographers should be aware that makeup can (sometimes) cover a tattoo perfectly so they don't have to spend days in Photoshop afterward.

Just be aware that there are limitations to the usefulness of covering tattoos with makeup.

I don't think they heard you or cared big_smile

For some extreme cases like zombie man case for example if you need to cover square feet rather then square inches then the cost factor can not be ignored and unless you are so desperate to shoot with a model full of ink you need to cover because you don't need it in your concept, is pretty much silly unless you are shooting for Dermablend ads and such, if not why bother when there are zillions of unemployed models out there to pick from. Problem solved.
Dermablend is not exactly cheaper then photo shop prices. From the feedback in this thread I hear that effectiveness of the product comes with a price, application skills and results varies depending on skin and ink type, I think photo shop work is more predictable.

Nov 11 11 05:42 am Link

Model

MissSybarite

Los Angeles, California, US

Napally wrote:
Thank you for posting this thread.

Seriously smile

Yes good find smile useful info is timeless smile

Nov 21 11 03:49 pm Link

Model

Heather LeStabbityDeath

Alexandria, Virginia, US

borat

If you intend to be able to cover your own tattoos...Practice! It's hard to do.  And don't use that Kat VonD crap.

....And also, if you have a lot of freckles, you're screwed.

Nov 21 11 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

udor wrote:
I am not a makeup artist and I don't pretend to be one.

Also: DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A PRO/ANTI TATTOO THREAD!

There are enough of those out there and this is just to educate about the options of covering it up.

I am simply incredibly annoyed about those inane discussions of tattoos versus no-tattoos and how those "evil markings" make it impossible for models to work in the industry and so forth.

Now... every good stylist and makeup artist knows Dermablend!

But it appears, that too many photographers are clueless... and models with tattoos, or who plan to get tattoos have simply no idea about this common product in the industry and it's widespread use.

So, I boldly declare:

Models, if you feel that you want to follow a human tradition that reaches into paleolithic times and adore your body through the (mostly) painful process of inserting ink into your skin, because of your very personal, spiritual or other important meanings*:

JUST DO IT!

I don't really expect photographers to go out and buy Dermablend for every skin tone and model that they are working with, if they are too cheap to hire a MUA, but it's important to know the option they have.

There is no need to turn down an amazing model, with amazing facial features and a great body... the perfect look, because she has a butterfly (symbol of change and growth) on her shoulders or ass antlers.

I actually suggest that a semi and full time professional model, that has tattoos, should have her own set of the Dermablend products with the EXACT shade of her skin tone (there are 16 shades), to be always prepared to apply those to cover the tattoo/s or let the MUA do it for them.

Anyway... here is my non-MUA recommendation:

Dermablend products for their specific skin shade.

Here's what you need to cover the tattoo:

Leg and Body Cover Crème and instructions and instructional videos on how to apply are on that website too.

Then you need the Loose Setting Powder, which is stabilizing the coverage up to 16 hours.

So... photographers... now you have so many more models to chose from and don't have to boycott those that immersed themselves into deeper levels of human experience.

Toodles

udor

Click here to see my own tattoos.

P.S.: Please feel free to add your own tips, tricks and products on how to cover tattoos!  smile

* I take tattooing very serious and I do not recommend anybody to get a tattoo unless it is really very well thought out and you are fully aware of the social implication it may have in your present and future life, because there ARE implications! If you ARE aware and you know it's worth it... get one but think hard about the meaning, have it drawn up and hang it for four months over your bed. If you still want it after four months... get it!

Thank you, my friend for posting this!

There is a popular model on here who has a tattoo that I never knew about for years, however she told me that she uses Dermablend.  I shoot models with tats or without, and it's nice to know that there are options.

Nov 21 11 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Thank you, my friend for posting this!

There is a popular model on here who has a tattoo that I never knew about for years, however she told me that she uses Dermablend.  I shoot models with tats or without, and it's nice to know that there are options.

You are very welcome my dear friend Patrick... this post is only sitting in the forum for slightly more than FOUR FRIGGIN' YEARS!!!... tongue

But it appears it's as current as in the last decade... big_smile

... and for the rest of your post... what your model did is just what any responsible, half way professional (even if part time, but KNOWING her business) model should know about and apply.

Good story!

udor

Nov 21 11 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Anton

New Lenox, Illinois, US

Didn't read the entire post.....and being a newbie, this maybe a stupid reply, but can't you just remove them in processing?

As for Tattoo...love them! It's addicting, Hoping to finish my back this year and I have both half my arms done. :-) None are flash .....all are custom and have meaning.

Great post Udor

Nov 21 11 10:09 pm Link

Model

Masha Rün

Pensacola, Florida, US

Use sally brand spray on panty hose, dab it with some foundation after, and wahlah!

works like a charm. I use it on my tattoo's and you can't tell.

Nov 21 11 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Errin Green wrote:
Use sally brand spray on panty hose, dab it with some foundation after, and wahlah!

works like a charm. I use it on my tattoo's and you can't tell.

Could you please provide a link to that brand and describe your process more in detail!

Thanks Errin!

Nov 22 11 10:01 am Link

Photographer

INKEDividuals

Seattle, Washington, US

Heather LeStabbityDeath wrote:
borat

If you intend to be able to cover your own tattoos...Practice!

Snip

I love ink, but clearly not everyone does.  When I meet a would-be model with either a lot of disjointed ink, or a few really bad pieces, I honestly say that this ink MAY limit them.  If their ink is more extensive and realy good, I go down the "alt/tattoo market" schpiel (making sure they realize all modeling markets are tough and you need to market your own ass off).

If they want to pursue anything approaching mainstream work, I suggest they invest in a two or three hour session with a MUA experienced with Dermablend to find the right combination of products and processes to conceal their ink.

Then, as Heather says, practice, practice, practice.  I tell them they should expect to spend a few hundred bucks at a minimum to get all this under their belt, but that if they do, they MIGHT open a few more doors.

While Photoshop may be "cheaper" for some, I feel it's the model's responsibility to offer photographers a choice if they want to work in mainstream as well as alt arenas.

Likewise, I think it behooves photographers who don't like ink to at least get some training in non-Photoshop concealing techniques.

Nov 22 11 10:57 am Link

Model

Carolina Sonia

Dallas, Texas, US

thank you for this post very helpful smile

Mar 28 12 10:41 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Would they have my shade? I mean, I'm pasty white as hell, and most foundations are too dark.

By looking up on their site, even their palest shade looks a bit too dark for me...

Mar 28 12 11:06 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Are you sure you're not in the Yakuza, or the Gokudo  .  .  .  quick, let me see yer fingers  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Mar 28 12 11:16 am Link

Model

Kozmina

Bakersfield, California, US

StrixPix wrote:

Wonderful stuff.

WOW!

Mar 28 12 11:24 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

StrixPix wrote:

Wonderful stuff.

Kozmina wrote:
WOW!

I don't really know him personally, but a good friend of mine has known him for quite a long time, way before all the tattoos. smile

Mar 28 12 11:28 am Link

Model

Kozmina

For all the pale skined models-Try Dermacolor.A lot more shade options that will match us pastey white girls smile

Great thread Udor borat

Mar 28 12 11:30 am Link

Model

Kozmina

Scarlett Candee wrote:

StrixPix wrote:

Wonderful stuff.

I don't really know him personally, but a good friend of mine has known him for quite a long time, way before all the tattoos. smile

I can't imagine how painful the face and head tattoos would've been.OUCH! Super cool though.

Mar 28 12 11:32 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Kozmina wrote:

I can't imagine how painful the face and head tattoos would've been.OUCH! Super cool though.

Yeah, true.

Know what's kind of ironic? This guy used to be homeless. Now he's probably living a great life. smile

Mar 28 12 11:43 am Link

Model

Miss Vixxen

Torquay, England, United Kingdom

Wonderful thread, Very informative.

Nov 29 12 12:25 pm Link

Model

The Original Oktane

Boulder, Colorado, US

I spent last weekend in an ulta trying to find a perfect shade of dermablend to cover up a model's sleeve, half sleeve, two side pieces, feet and hips. Unfortunately we wound up with her skin tone not matching ANY shade. We finally were able to use Napoleon brand foundation stick and airbrush foundation to fill in any gaps- worked like a charm to the point we were all extremely off put in seeing her without tattoos.

Nov 29 12 12:38 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

udor wrote:
I am not a makeup artist and I don't pretend to be one.

Also: DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A PRO/ANTI TATTOO THREAD!

There are enough of those out there and this is just to educate about the options of covering it up.

I am simply incredibly annoyed about those inane discussions of tattoos versus no-tattoos and how those "evil markings" make it impossible for models to work in the industry and so forth.

Now... every good stylist and makeup artist knows Dermablend!

But it appears, that too many photographers are clueless... and models with tattoos, or who plan to get tattoos have simply no idea about this common product in the industry and it's widespread use.

Thank you for posting this Udor.

I was passed over for a bodypainting casting in Oahu and the photographer said it was because of my tattoos. I mentioned that they were coverable and he said that he tried coverup before and that they showed through the body paint. sad Oh yes, that one was a bummer. However, good and very great thing that I know of somone who may help erase this "casting rejection" away.

Jen
p.s. I wonder if I should find my own blend for this stuff?

Nov 29 12 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Barely StL

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Dermablend.

Period.

Nov 29 12 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Hall - Fine Art

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

...as this clearly an advertising campaign...
...do I get a set of steak knives with my purchase?

Nov 29 12 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Glenn Hall - Fine Art wrote:
...as this clearly an advertising campaign...
...do I get a set of steak knives with my purchase?

facepalm

Nov 30 12 12:33 am Link