Forums > Photography Talk > Mac users... who has Aperture already?

Photographer

Nate Kalushner

Los Angeles, California, US

My copy is being shipped but i was wondering if anyone has actually used it or already has it. from my experience with apple and their software (final cut, shake, etc) I'm confident this will make my workflow much smoother but you never know. once i do get it ill probably play around for a week or so and post up a review if others are thinking about getting it and want some feedback.

Nate

Nov 29 05 02:22 am Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

good i would like to know what you think, my workflow is a mess, loose stuff all the time, i have extensis but it loads very slow.

Nov 30 05 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'm waiting for some real world reviews myself, but the workflow looks fantastic!

Nov 30 05 05:50 am Link

Photographer

Ephotique

Prescott, Arizona, US

I'm on my 2nd (evening) of going through the DVD tutorial (which is excellent by the way.)  I've imported one wedding job (about 500 images) and have some time to work with the images.  By the way, I'm running a Mac G5 dual 2.5 w/4.GB RAM with 2-23"cinema displays and about GB of online storage.  Just a few observations from my 1st evening actually tinkering with a project...

- Elegant user interface

- Overall good performance

- Importing a 500 image job took about 15 minutes

- Using the auto-stack command takes about 1.5 minutes to do its thing once you move the slider (500 images.)  So if you're changing the slider to get the best image grouping, it can get a bit tiresome waiting for the display to update.  I must say, except for the poor performance of this task, I really like the Stack feature.  Very useful for viewing images in logical time groups.

- In my limited use, the raw processing seems so much better than Adobe Raw and C1 put together.  The controls for raw adjustments are tiny on the 23" displays and don't seem to slide smoothly.  Aside from that, the raw conversion is lightning fast and they have an incredibly effective auto-raw convert feature that does an excellent job in an instant.

The feature set seems endless.  The DVD tutorial is lengthy (I've already watched about 1 hr 20 min and not even all the way though it a first time.)  The feature set is so extensive that I'll sit through it a 2nd time (normally I never read software documentation and prefer to just jump in and figure it out.)  IMO this package is just too large and sophisticated to effectively just jump in and use it.

Anyway, these are just a few early observations.  Looking forward to hearing feedback experiences from others.

Best regards,
John

Nov 30 05 08:03 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

I'm considering Aperture myself and this is the type of stuff I like to hear. Thanks!

Nov 30 05 08:26 am Link

Photographer

[ b ] e c k e r

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

i've got it. i am just waiting until i really have a chance to test it out before i post my review. keep checking my blog ( www.thebecker.com/blog ) for updates. (you can scroll down and see my new Quad!)

[ b ]

Nov 30 05 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Nate Kalushner

hey [b] e c k e r,
people think my single 30' display is overkill. I hate you. ; )

Nov 30 05 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

sweet lord its so fast. i use to go out and get a bite to eat when i was downloading images. now all i need to do is take a piss and its done!
hands down one of the best made apps for macs.

Nov 30 05 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

utako omori

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Nicholson Photography wrote:
sweet lord its so fast. i use to go out and get a bite to eat when i was downloading images. now all i need to do is take a piss and its done!
hands down one of the best made apps for macs.

please tell me that you are using only a 1.5 Ghz G4 laptop and got that kind of speed.
please, oh pretty please... i can dream  can't i?

Nov 30 05 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

NERDS!

just kidding. Actually I'm just jealous, since I guess I'm going to have to wait for someone to hack the installer so I can run it on my MDD 1.25GHz DP (though a single 1.25 PB is fine!?!?!?)

My iPhoto/Bridge/Finder workflow is clumsy but functional, but if Aperture can give me a few minutes of organizing/brain cells back, anything its RAW conversion has over ACR will be gravy...

Nov 30 05 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

utako omori

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

easyonthe eyes wrote:
NERDS!

just kidding. Actually I'm just jealous, since I guess I'm going to have to wait for someone to hack the installer so I can run it on my MDD 1.25GHz DP (though a single 1.25 PB is fine!?!?!?)

My iPhoto/Bridge/Finder workflow is clumsy but functional, but if Aperture can give me a few minutes of organizing/brain cells back, anything its RAW conversion has over ACR will be gravy...

Aperture is video card/chip dependant (not cpu).. That's why only certain pre g5 models are supported. There's a full list on apple's site about which video hardware is supported.

Nov 30 05 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

utako omori wrote:
Aperture is video card/chip dependant (not cpu).. That's why only certain pre g5 models are supported. There's a full list on apple's site about which video hardware is supported.

There's also a compatibility checker you can download and run that will reject any PowerMac G4 no matter what video card is installed...

Nov 30 05 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

utako omori

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

easyonthe eyes wrote:
There's also a compatibility checker you can download and run that will reject any PowerMac G4 no matter what video card is installed...

i just ran the checker  and it told me something even more disturbing: that Tiger 10.4.3 was required. no way am i running that peice of udderly unusable ****.  Guess i have to wait for the new powerbooks to come out before i make the move away from 10.3.9.

Nov 30 05 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Chip Willis

Columbus, Georgia, US

I was at a friends house today watching him use it and testing stuff.

It is nice, very very nice. ONe thing that is really troublesome is, maybe someone chime in here if we missed it, but what happens once your primary hard drive is full? How do you keep your library going.

I guess on macs you can span your drive across multiple drives. Is it that simple?

Previews are blazing fast. When using the magnifier, it took like 3-5 seconds to load an image fully to check details. Not bad at all. For all around file sorting, editing and organization this thing is the bomb. Its version 1.0 so there will be many fixes, enhancements over time.

There was no custom crop size we could tell. Only presets. You can always do final crop in photoshop. Everything will still need retouched there once the editing process is done.

I was really impressed.

Marko, send me your number and ill call you with the details.

Chip

Nov 30 05 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Chip Willis wrote:
Marko, send me your number and ill call you with the details.

Chip

You give me yours along with appropriate times to call. I'm 7 hours ahead of you and long distance to Croatia is $$$. But I'd appreciate hearing the skinny...

Nov 30 05 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Nate Kalushner

Chip Willis wrote:
There was no custom crop size we could tell. Only presets. You can always do final crop in photoshop. Everything will still need retouched there once the editing process is done.

there is def a custom crop function... i remember on the preview on apples website they showed how you can crop a photo, then go back later and re-crop. it was beautiful. once i figure it out ill let you know.

also... for everyone that has it. mon, tues, weds apple stores are having workshops from 7pm till close. i would call your local store to double check but i think theyre all doing it

Nov 30 05 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Chip Willis

Columbus, Georgia, US

there were custom crops.. . from preset ratios.... but say you wanted to enter something specific, we didnt see it.

Nov 30 05 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Nate Kalushner

ok so far so good but i do have one problem... any files ive already worked with in photoshop will not open in aperture. while this is only a problem untill these projects are completed i dont understand why this is happening.

Nov 30 05 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

utako omori

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

open aperture wrote:
ok so far so good but i do have one problem... any files ive already worked with in photoshop will not open in aperture. while this is only a problem untill these projects are completed i dont understand why this is happening.

is there an alpha channel? i've forget from my brief readings what the other 2 restrictions on importing psd files are.

Nov 30 05 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Nate Kalushner

at the risk of sounding like a noob ill admit that i dont know what an alpha channel is(eeek). i went as far as to save the file as a jpeg and that didnt make a difference.

Nov 30 05 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Elizabeth Zusev

Seattle, Washington, US

open aperture wrote:

Nov 30 05 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Elizabeth Zusev

Seattle, Washington, US

open aperture wrote:

It's a bit odd, two of my psd's didn't work, but the rest have.

Nov 30 05 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

utako omori

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

open aperture wrote:
at the risk of sounding like a noob ill admit that i dont know what an alpha channel is(eeek). i went as far as to save the file as a jpeg and that didnt make a difference.

as lifted from

http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs.html

1. Aperture supports only flattened PSD files without Alpha channels.

so if you have multi-layers or alpha channels you are out of luck with version 1.0

a quick explanation of an alpha channel is to think of a b&w matte ( a clipping mask around the objects in your picture) so that if you had composite the picture against another, you can do it seamlessly. there are plenty of tutorials on the web with better explanations wink

Nov 30 05 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Nate Kalushner

i dont have anything of the sort, so my files should(key word) be opening. im going to give apple a call soon.

Dec 01 05 12:11 am Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

I think adjustment layers count as an alpha channel (they come from the womb with a layer mask), and anyway that wouldn't be flattened. Hmmm... flat psd's, still not opening in Aperture?

Try this anyway, even though it doesn't sound like this is your issue: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302624 (regardless, any prospective Aperture/PS users will have to).

Lots o' rumbling and grumbling over on Apple diiscussions; I think I may wait for Aperture 3.

Dec 01 05 02:03 am Link

Photographer

DumDum Productions

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:

You give me yours along with appropriate times to call. I'm 7 hours ahead of you and long distance to Croatia is $$$. But I'd appreciate hearing the skinny...

Skype!

http://www.skype.com/helloagain.html

Dec 01 05 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

open aperture wrote:
My copy is being shipped but i was wondering if anyone has actually used it or already has it. from my experience with apple and their software (final cut, shake, etc) I'm confident this will make my workflow much smoother but you never know. once i do get it ill probably play around for a week or so and post up a review if others are thinking about getting it and want some feedback.

Nate

Dec 01 05 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

utako omori wrote:

i just ran the checker  and it told me something even more disturbing: that Tiger 10.4.3 was required. no way am i running that peice of udderly unusable ****.  Guess i have to wait for the new powerbooks to come out before i make the move away from 10.3.9.

Done about a dozen Tiger installs with no major calamities, do you have known compatibility issues w/3rd party sw? I agree with "ain't broke don't fix it" but Panther had plenty of "broken bits", that will probably never be fixed now...

Dec 02 05 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Calumet is going to be giving demonstrations soon in San Francisco, Chicago, Los Angeles and New York.

Dec 03 05 07:17 pm Link