Forums > Photography Talk > Photo editing help...

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I figure most photographers are pretty well versed with photo editors, so I decided to post this here.

I'm having issues with The Gimp 2.2 (sorry, I'm broke, cant afford photoshop and my b/f made me get rid of the not-quite-so-legal copy I had tongue ) and resizing images.  I just got some CDs from a shoot that are still in the biggest sizes possible (for possible later poster prints), but when I try to scale the image down, to even something like 400x600 (from somewhere in the range of 3000x5000 or so), they turn out SUPER pixelated.  How can I fix that?  Or am I S.O.L?

Thanks.

Nov 30 05 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Images By Ijumo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I dont know the software you are using but in photoshop you can either save for web or go to image size and manually adjust the pixel dimensions.. if you can find similar actions with this software im sure that should help.

Nov 30 05 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

What method are you using to resize them?  Can you post an example of the "super pixelated" results?

Nov 30 05 12:22 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I'm not sure about the "save for web" feature, I'd have to check when I get home, but what I tried doing was just scale the image.  Would it matter if I went from the 72 (I think but not sure) dpi that it currently is, to 300 dpi or some such?

I used to think I was pretty good at photoshop, but having no luck here.

Nov 30 05 12:23 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
What method are you using to resize them?  Can you post an example of the "super pixelated" results?

I should probably save this thread until I get home and can post the images.  I had some up last night, but didn't like them and ripped them back down, but I'd really like to post them.

Nov 30 05 12:25 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

if you have windows xp there is a program called Image Resizer and its free here is a direct link to download it, all you do is right click on the image you want to resize and the option will be there to resize it

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ … ySetup.exe

Nov 30 05 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Aesa wrote:
Would it matter if I went from the 72 (I think but not sure) dpi that it currently is, to 300 dpi or some such?

No, it wouldn't.

Nov 30 05 12:31 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

No, it wouldn't.

Didn't think so, but thought I'd ask.  And I think its not so much that the WHOLE image is pixelated, just like the face and the lines of my body and the background.  The background isn't at all, or the flesh of my body (stomach, legs, etc), just the edges.  Not sure that explains well though, so I'll just post a pic when I get home and get the thread going again.

Nov 30 05 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Aesa wrote:

Didn't think so, but thought I'd ask.  And I think its not so much that the WHOLE image is pixelated, just like the face and the lines of my body and the background.  The background isn't at all, or the flesh of my body (stomach, legs, etc), just the edges.  Not sure that explains well though, so I'll just post a pic when I get home and get the thread going again.

That sounds like jpg compression.

Nov 30 05 12:42 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
That sounds like jpg compression.

I think that on the CDs they are .tif, but I'm not sure Gimp knows how to deal with those, so it plays them off as jpgs.  However, not ALL of the images do that.  For example, my current av is from that shoot, and its fine, though maybe because its such a close shot, vs the full body ones that I'm having issues with?

Nov 30 05 12:44 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

well here is an example from the program I use save in the 4 diff size settings
orig pic is 3.3mb

Large fits  a 1024x 768 screen and is 50.3kb
Medium fits a 800x600 screen and is 40.0kb
Samll fits a 640x 480 screen and is 32.0kb
Handheld pc 240x320 screen and is 24.0kb

Handheld
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/ssg54/desperado1WinCE.jpg

Small
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/ssg54/desperado1Small.jpg

Medium
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/ssg54/desperado1Medium.jpg

Large
this is the largest photobucket would let post its 512x786
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/ssg54/desperado1Large.jpg

Nov 30 05 01:03 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Crazy Benny wrote:
well here is an example from the program I use save in the 4 diff size settings
orig pic is 3.3mb

I'll definately download the program when I get home and see what it comes up with, worst that can happen is I'll end up uninstalling it, the best is that it fixes my issues. smile

Nov 30 05 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Thyronne

Huntington Beach, California, US

I wouldn't listen to that b/f anymore

Nov 30 05 01:10 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Thyronne wrote:
I wouldn't listen to that b/f anymore

Hehe...well it, was also somewhat of an issue of the old computer breaking and transfering everything to the new one.  So it wasn't so much of him saying "Delete that not-quite-legal software" as "Don't you dare go re-downloading that!!"  big_smile

Nov 30 05 01:13 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Crazy Benny

Rochester, New York, US

Aesa wrote:

Hehe...well it, was also somewhat of an issue of the old computer breaking and transfering everything to the new one.  So it wasn't so much of him saying "Delete that not-quite-legal software" as "Don't you dare go re-downloading that!!"  big_smile

so don't download it have someone put it on CD and then install it to your computer, you see you did not download it tongue

Nov 30 05 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Poes Raven

Hampshire, Illinois, US

I use Gimp on my iBook and Photoshop at work and at home. Resizing images in Gimp is similar to Photoshop.
After you open your large image, there is a small triangle in the image window below the minimize dot. Click the triangle and go to Image/scale image. You will then open a new pane that will be familiar like the Photoshop Image Size window. If you know where we are at from there, great. Otherwise, (your experience here counts), I choose 96dpi with the link unbroken (in Gimp), then say OK. Then re-open the Image Size window and change the pixel dimension to 640 h. 640 x 480 is good for small monitors. The choice is up to you.

Crazy Bennie left us some info.

He is talking about a 3 meg image. If you are using a 6 or 8 meg camera, you final size will be different. Saving as a .jpg will reduce the final file size.

In the same triangle in the image window, find Save As, then the tab that says "Determine File Type by Extension" and you will find your jpg.

Nov 30 05 01:49 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Ok, here's the example I have.

https://pic1.modelmayhem.com/4/1/2/3/438f5f89a757f.jpg

Dec 01 05 08:35 am Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Double post monster, RAWR!!!

Dec 01 05 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Aesa wrote:

Ok, here's the example I have.

13kb?!?  That's WAY overcompressed.

Dec 01 05 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

And since it's a public forum, I'm going to have to ask that you not post nude photos.  You know.  Moderator stuff.  smile

Dec 01 05 08:37 am Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
And since it's a public forum, I'm going to have to ask that you not post nude photos.  You know.  Moderator stuff.  smile

Sorry, didn't think about that.  big_smile  Fixed it.

Dec 01 05 08:39 am Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

13kb?!?  That's WAY overcompressed.

So how do I under overcompress it?  big_smile

Dec 01 05 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

When you save the resized file, there should be a number for "quality" (I couldn't tell you exactly as I don't use the gimp).  Try setting that to the highest number (least compression) before you upload it here.  Unfortunately, MM adds some jpg compression, so what you upload should be as uncompressed as possible.

Dec 01 05 08:42 am Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
When you save the resized file, there should be a number for "quality" (I couldn't tell you exactly as I don't use the gimp).  Try setting that to the highest number (least compression) before you upload it here.  Unfortunately, MM adds some jpg compression, so what you upload should be as uncompressed as possible.

I tried that (its a 0-100 quality number...which was set for 85), and it did look a little better though not crisp (maybe just cant get crisp with such a resize?).  Anyway, didn't have time to upload it because I realized if I didn't get my arse out of the house, I'd never make it to work in time in the snow. big_smile  Thanks for your help Brian, I'll post again this evening.

Dec 01 05 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Masha

San Jose, California, US

Aesa wrote:
my b/f made me get rid of the not-quite-so-legal copy I had

why?

Dec 03 05 02:28 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Masha wrote: