Forums > Photography Talk > Nikon EN-EL3 battery recall

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

I got a email today about the recall on these batteries. This is a copy of the email with included link to check for effected batteries. Both of mine are not effected but others may have them. Read below for the link:

As a service to our customers, we are notifying you that Nikon has issued a voluntary recall for the Nikon EN-EL3 rechargeable lithium battery packs. The Nikon EN-EL3 battery pack was provided as a supplied accessory with Nikons D100, D70 and D50 digital SLRs and also sold separately as an accessory. Nikon says the battery pack can experience a short circuit causing it to overheat and possibly melt, posing a potential hazard to consumers.

The notice states, There have only been four confirmed reports of incidents of the problem worldwide, and while no injuries have taken place, Nikon Inc. has initiated this recall of the affected lot numbers as a reflection of its commitment to safety and product quality. We are asking that owners of the affected battery packs return them to Nikon Inc. for a free replacement"

This voluntary recall is limited only to those units of the model EN-EL3 bearing certain lot numbers. EN-EL3 battery packs marked "made in Japan" are not affected by this recall. You can go to the following Nikon Website for a list of the battery pack lot numbers:

http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images/ni … ttery.html

Consumers can determine whether a battery pack is among those being recalled by confirming that EN-EL3 is written on the side of the battery and then comparing the lot number that appears printed in black ink in the recessed area on the side of the battery pack with the list of recalled lot numbers. Battery packs with one of the cited lot numbers should immediately be removed from the battery compartment.

To receive instructions and materials for the return of the battery pack, postage prepaid, and a free replacement, call Nikon toll free 1-800-645-6678 or go to: http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images/ni … tery.html.

Affected battery packs will be replaced free of charge within 710 days of Nikons receipt with a new EN-EL3a or EN-EL3e battery pack.

No other models of Nikon battery packs are involved in the recall, and the D100, D70 and D50 cameras are also not subject to the recall, only the batteries.

Thank you,

Customer Service

Typographical, photographic and/or descriptive errors are subject to correction.
You can unsubscribe to this email by replying to this email and putting 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.
This email is being sent to you because you purchased the recalled Nikon battery pack.

Ritz Interactive, Inc. | 2010 Main Street | Suite 400 | Irvine, CA 92614

Dec 02 05 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

This has been reported in this forum before.

My new battery arrived yesterday with pre-paid materials to send the old one back within 30 days or they will charge my card.

Nikon sent the EN-EL3e as a replcement.

Dec 02 05 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Bill Gunter wrote:
This has been reported in this forum before.

My new battery arrived yesterday with pre-paid materials to send the old one back within 30 days or they will charge my card.

Nikon sent the EN-EL3e as a replcement.

Bill Thank You for that bit of info. For those who are seeing this for the first time i am sure it will answer some questions on how they (Nikon) work that end of it.

I am interested in how the new battery works out for you. These last so long i am glad mine were not part of the recall.

Dec 02 05 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Im lucky. I am in the clear. Oddly enough there are only 3 numbers stamped on my batteries instead of 4.

Dec 03 05 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Faded Beauty

Orlando, Florida, US

Damn, my battery is in the recall lot. At least they have the option to ship out the new one without first sending the old one back, otherwise I may not have bothered with it.

The only other battery I have is a generic one and I have been afraid to use since reading an article that those can damage the cameras power system. I don't know if that is really true or just a scare tactic by Nikon to get you to buy their version. Though one D70 at the ad agency I work for did have some kind of power system problem and there was a generic battery being used in that. Can't say it was definitely the battery that caused the problem though.

Dec 04 05 07:49 am Link