Forums > Photography Talk > Question for the magazine pros

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Do you always deliver at 300dpi or is 200+ acceptable? What about dot gain-do you save with embedded color profiles? Do you sharpen to the point of slight halos?

Disclaimer: I've been published, but I'll be the first to tell you I'm still learning wink

Feel free to PM/email me if you'd prefer.

thanks,

-TMH

Dec 02 05 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Timothy M. Hughes wrote:
Do you always deliver at 300dpi or is 200+ acceptable? What about dot gain-do you save with embedded color profiles? Do you sharpen to the point of slight halos?

Disclaimer: I've been published, but I'll be the first to tell you I'm still learning wink

-TMH

Ok, first the disclaimer. I haven't been published in the States for some time, but I'm published all the time in Europe.

Always 300ppi. I save with embedded color files. And if I sharpen at all it's only the bare minimum necessary. I HATE a photochopped image. That's for the stuff I handle myself, submissions and a few magazines that prefer that I edit the story (or at least pre-edit to a few selects and a few alternate options) and image edit (photoshop) it myself and and just deliver final TIFFS that are ready to be placed and pre-flighted.

That said, the majority of the stuff I shoot for publication I don't handle myself. Sometimes I don't even see the film until the job is long over. A lot of the magazines themselves handle processing/scanning/editing, etc. I might get called in to help edit (select) images and that's it.

Dec 02 05 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

Greg

Wildomar, California, US

Timothy M. Hughes wrote:

Feel free to PM/email me if you'd prefer.

thanks,

-TMH

Generaly, our freelancers turn-in unprocessed full-size jpegs.

Dec 02 05 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Deliver to the specs they require.  I never know either, so I ask.  Most have wanted final image size @ 300dpi, but one wanted 360dpi to be printed at 180dpi.  Something like that.  I think a few times I just scanned and delivered TIFFs at max unextrapolated size, letting them do whatever post prod they wanted as they had to change RBG to CMYK anyway.

Over the time I've been shooting, most buyers wanted original (or dupe) chromes.  These days it's mostly scans. 

I'm not a professional either.

-Don

Dec 02 05 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Lake Forest, California, US

Lately it's been uncompressed tiffs 8x12@300dpi, but I've had a couple ask for 11x14@300dpi. Usually minimal to no sharpening. They tend to vary by the whims of their layout/design people. I'm just glad most are taking digital files now instead of having to ship slide sheets all over the place.

Eric Foltz

Dec 02 05 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I have been published (in mags) more than I want to think about.
I always deliver at 300PPI and most of the time at 10 X.  Editors will
sometimes request 7 X and now they often want 17 X.  NEVER sharpen
did I say never....
Adobe 1998 is the standard, there is also another color profile, but nobody
is using it now.  I NEVER send RAW, did I say never?  The IPTC info is also
very important and now some clients want META data.

Dec 02 05 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

I appreciate everyones responses. One thing that is freakin' the heck out of me is everyones response about sharpening. You send it camera-ready unsharpened? And the photo editors sharpen it to specs or what? I have been sharpening (not over sharpening) images before sending.

Sharpened example at 100%:

https://weaztek.com/forums/Casey.jpg

Dec 02 05 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

They expect the images to be tack sharp just like when we were submitting chromes. They don't want photographers submitting images that they try to salvage by sharpening. I used to have an editor that would toss any image that he couldn't count the individual eyelashes using an 8x loupe.

Eric Foltz

Dec 02 05 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

FullRez

LADERA RANCH, California, US

My good friend owns a prepress house and does several magazines (most are direct to plate now - no more film). Anyway, the magic number is usuall 333dpi due to how this number actually prints but there are other factors like line screen, etc.

Dec 02 05 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Chip Willis

Columbus, Georgia, US

For me its been like 9x12 at 300 dpi. Whatever color space they request, and TIF. I have had a couple done from jpgs, but they ran a lower line screen than the typical 150 magazine.

Dec 03 05 12:04 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ask what they want. They would rather tell you than have you guess what they want.

Dec 03 05 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Gary L.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

just give them what they require, or asked for.  Specs very, so make sure you find out what they want. You have to shoot RAW (to allow maximum flexibility) to cover you ass.

Dec 03 05 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Eric Foltz wrote:
They expect the images to be tack sharp just like when we were submitting chromes. They don't want photographers submitting images that they try to salvage by sharpening. I used to have an editor that would toss any image that he couldn't count the individual eyelashes using an 8x loupe.

Eric Foltz

Many DSLR's produce somewhat soft images due to the AA filter.  This is why we sharpen, not to "salvage" an OOF image.

Dec 03 05 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Gary Davis wrote:

Many DSLR's produce somewhat soft images due to the AA filter.  This is why we sharpen, not to "salvage" an OOF image.

True. And to clarify, I shoot RAW with no in-camera sharpening. USM is the final step I do in post before saving the file.

Dec 03 05 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Gary Davis wrote:

I'm fully familiar with digital imaging. The sharpening can be done in the transition from raw to tiff. If you are shooting jpg large it can be done in camera. Most publishers don't want you running an unsharp mask.

You are also referring to the reasons that you sharpen not the many others who submit on a regular basis. I've done some time as a photo editor and had to wade through some images that never would have made it had they been shot on film.

Eric Foltz

Dec 03 05 12:51 am Link