Forums > Photography Talk > Power Source for On-Location Shooting

Photographer

James Bluck

Westfield, New Jersey, US

Be careful about the inverters.  If they plug into the cigarette lighter of your car, they'll probably blow the fuse in your car on the first shot.

I use a generator (Honda 2000), but there are other good solutions as well.

Dec 21 07 11:12 am Link

Photographer

rich beckermeyer

Berrien Springs, Michigan, US

Kreative Phokus wrote:
Am I right for thinking that a generator is used for shots "on-location" when there are no power outlets around.  I do most of my shoots outoors, and on occasion, when the sun is going down and the lighting is low.  My camera doesn't produce great pics at higher ISO levels, so many times I need better lighting than the on-camera flash will provide.  If you have lighting that you can bring and set up, what do you use as your powere source.  Please make suggestions of type, brand, and price of power sources.  Thanks.

i use a vagabond 2 and can hook up to 3 lights if necessary.  i think they run about $300-350...

Dec 21 07 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Shutterclick

Los Angeles, California, US

I use a vagabond 2 as well.. I have never used more then 3 lights on it. I have a set of SP 350's (you can stop laughing at me now) and a ABR Ringflash.. I've run all of them on location before and got about 250 shots off. The only problem is the thing starts beeping if I use the modeling light. I dont understand that one. But I the Vagabond is worth the money. I use it all the time!

Kevin

Dec 21 07 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

Would the vagabond work with Speedotron Blackline 805 powerpacks?

How about the Innovatronix?

Aug 17 08 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Aug 17 08 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Aug 17 08 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Tet Photo wrote:
Would the vagabond work with Speedotron Blackline 805 powerpacks?

How about the Innovatronix?

just realize that i'm replying to an old thread. for a power pack you're better off using a generator. Innovatronix and Vegabonds are more geared for monolights.

Aug 17 08 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

FotoMark

Oxnard, California, US

Shutterclick wrote:
I use a vagabond 2 as well.. I have never used more then 3 lights on it. I have a set of SP 350's (you can stop laughing at me now) and a ABR Ringflash.. I've run all of them on location before and got about 250 shots off. The only problem is the thing starts beeping if I use the modeling light. I dont understand that one. But I the Vagabond is worth the money. I use it all the time!

Kevin

Modelling lights drain the Vagabond, it says not to turn them on very long.

Aug 17 08 05:20 pm Link