Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Do you make me a better person?

Model

Kyle VDZD

Newport Beach, California, US

I found this website. I thought it had some good points and a few I disagree with. I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts of people constantly surrounded by beauty.

http://www.mylooks.com/45rules.htm

Dec 08 05 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

For a page about beauty, they sure found a really ugly font and style.

Dec 08 05 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Whoever wrote that should learn to take the caps lock off. I closed it after reading a couple.

Dec 08 05 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
For a page about beauty, they sure found a really ugly font and style.

Problem is, they *didn't* choose a font and style. Aside from the annoying use of caps for EVERYTHING ON THE PAGE, their markup lacks style attributes altogether, except for the use of a deprecated element called , which is similar to , or Bold. This means that most people willl see a white page with black letters in 16 point Times New Roman font, which is the default setting for IE 6.01 and Firefox 1.5, but bolded, for no apparent reason. Argh.

Dec 08 05 07:34 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

That was so annoying to read. We'll here's my comment for each:

Attractive persons are generally assummed to have higher levels of intelligence, motivation, education, and overall capability.

I think it's vice versa. Attractive people are generally assumed (girls) to be strippers. However, well groomed people are assumed to have a higher level of education....

Attractive persons are generally provided greateer opportunities for obtaining wealth, career growth, and marrying successfully than an unattractive person of similar intelligence, education, and motivation.

Then I must not be attractive because I can't afford to go to college and was told that if I do get married, my marriage isn't going to work out.

Over eighty percent (80%) of all men and women at one time or another are seeking to attain a mate in the top 20% of attractiveness.

Considering that there are more females than males and that they male chromosome is dying out, just about every guy will have a mate in the top 20% of attractiveness.

Insecure older women who lacked a strong father figure during their childhood tend to select older, powerful, dominant men rather than very attractive men. These less secure women feel safer, secure and compensated for their lack of itentity through their powerful/dominant mate.

I can personally tell you that this isn't true. I have to admit that I'm a pretty shallow girl and there are just certain guys I won't be with regardless of their personality. However, as a child without a father while growing up, I have a lot of say in my relationship and will not let anyone "dominate" me.

The younger a person is, the more he/she will rely on attractiveness as they key factor in determining whether they will form a relationship.

Umm, want to see my boyfriend's crooked nose? (I didn't do it by the way)

Secure ment & women tend to shift from apearance to other factors such as life goal compativility, ability to get along, and intellectual factors in mate selection.

You know that my boyfriend (of almost two years) and I met online and got to know each other online before ever meeting face to face? We liked each other's personalities, that's the only reason why we decided to meet.

Couples tend to talk, act, and more incredibly appear more alike over time.

HAHAHA! I have a story to tell to counter that too! But I won't do it.

Persons of similar attractiveness tend to socialize exclusively with persons of similar attractiveness. Very attractive(category 1's), moderately attractive(2's), average(3's), and less than average(4/5's) persons socialize with other persons withing their attractiveness categories

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." The definition of attractive varies from person to person so this shouldn't be on the list. And did you know, speaking from a psychological standpoint, that the more you like a person's personality, the more attractive he/she'll look?

Persons of greater means (wealtheir) generally have greater opportunity to attain an attractive appearance since they haev easier access to appearance enhancement equipment, facilities, experts, and services. Persons of lesser means have fewer opportunities to improve their apprearance and must aply extra effort and personal conviction to overcome the lack of access to appearance enhancing equipment, facilities, experts, and services.

Big DUH! Everyone knows that.

Since attractive persons are generally treated more favorably in life, they tend to develop high levels of self-esteem and self-confidence. These high levels of self-esteem and self-confidence provide greater potential to succeed in life.

I still feel inferior to my sister. But then again, she's a very good looking woman.

Since unattractive persons are generally treated less favorably in life, they tend to evolve low levels of self-esteem and self-confidence. These low levels of self-esteem and self-confidence detract from their chance to succeed in life.

No, it's called mind over matter. It just depends on your psychological makeup. I have a story to counter that too but I won't bore you all with my life stories.

Attractive persons are generally provided greater opportunities to socialize and make friends than are unattractive persons of similar capabilities. This provides the attractive greater opportunities to build networks in order to succeed in life, business, and other endeavors.

Is this person trying to tell me I'm ugly?

Persons who are attractive have a distinct advantage in obtaining success, wealth, power and advances in life over equally qualified, yet less attractive persons. These person have a higher rating of "A" in the life success formula and may be more successful, depending on their goals or tasks being attempted.

But if you already have money, you can buy looks.

Areas which are relatively isolated from media influences (T.V., radio, magazines, newspapers, etc.) often maintain lower appearance standards than areas designated as media mecca.

What's so wrong about that? Hey, I liked wearing my overhalls and riding on tractors.

The older a person becomes, the less likely they are to make assumptions about a person based on their appearance provided they have: 1) had exposure to persons who are contradictory to the standard paradigm that attractive persons are inherently valuable and unattractive persons are inherently not valued 2) they are intelligent enough to understand the lesson from the contradictory paradigm under #1 above.

Wisdom is supposed to come with age, but sadly, it doesn't always.

The more we are educated as children to be aware of our own appearance, the more aware and sensitive we will be about other people's appearance.

So being brutally honest is called uneducated? I'm sorry, but if someone asks me if they match or this or that, I'm telling them the truth or not say anything at all.

Just as in adult life, we must recognize that we have limits and cannot be someone we are not. Likewise, we must teach our children to recognize their strengths and value their differences.

But if parents do such a good job teaching this, we would have boobs popping out everywhere on TV and the website with those 45 rules on attractiveness.

An overweight person is ascribed many negative personality traits and thoughts compared to a non-overweight person. An overweight person will receive far less favorable treatment than a an non-overweight person.

Let's see:

An overweight person is too lazy to take care of his own weight.
An attractive person is too egotistic to care about other people.

There, now we're even.

Persons who are very attractive, yet possess very negative personality characteristics (i.e. lacking in personality, mean, manipulative, pushy, etc.) are likely to experience the same type of negative treatment by society as is experienced by some unattractive persons.

Another big DUH! We have a genious writing these rules. It's called "an eye for an eye"/"treat others the way you want to be treated."

The more a person is exposed to media portraying atypical and highly beautiful persons, the more likely a person will consciously or unconsciously become self-conscious, disappointed, angry, or withdrawn over their own appearance if they do not appear similarly attractive.

I saw some mugshots of these supposedly gorgeous people on TV. All I have to say is good gracious I don't look anything like them.

Beauty attracts attention and is pleasant to view 2) since beauty is pleasant to view, we logically want to prolong our exposure and contact with the beauty source (person, flower, lake, etc.). 3) since we tend to notice and lock visually onto the beauty source, we are more likely to focus on the message or product being brought forth by this beauty source. The message or product is therefore mentally associated with something beautiful and pleasant. 4) The beauty source therefore is moer effective in selling and influencing than someone unattractive that would be either not noticed or purposely ignored. 5) beauty, therefore, sells more effectively and is sought out by the media disproportionately more than those who are average or unattractive in appearance.

I thought sex sells. Beauty sells too but sex sells more.

Way to lower my self esteem.

Dec 08 05 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

Sad to say, but I see attractive people treated better than Average Joe all the time.
I dj on weekends, and you sould see how some of the sorostitutes treat the less attractive guys.

Dec 12 05 10:16 pm Link