Forums > General Industry > Stylist new to photo shoots

Hair Stylist

Brandon Pope

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Can any other stylists give me a run down of products/equipment/tools that I would need for a shoot? I'm interested in diving in and I just need to know how it usually goes. Maybe there is a shoot that I could attend so I could really get an idea of how things really work.

Dec 08 05 09:50 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Olivier

I saw on your profile that you are still in school. My advice to you is work behind a chair for a while first . Get your craft perfected and be ready to deal with all type of hair and learn different styles ( School doesn't prepare you for anything beside passing the state board exam).

Go and work with the best peoples in the industry , learn from them even if that means being someone assistant for a while( right now you might think you are above this , trust me it will be worth it if you have any ambitions to be good at your craft). Devellop your own style, work your creativity and your ability to deal with anything. After a few years of this you will be better equiped to jump into this.

Meanwhile also work on smaller shoots , build a portfolio and don't take work you can't handle ( you will have a very pissed off photographer, MUA, Stylist and model on your hands if you can't perform and waste their time and photos ).

Good luck with everything!

Dec 08 05 10:13 pm Link