Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Ok, i need some help.  Im fixing to do a photoshoot, and keep in mind i live in a small town, but I need to know what makes the most convicing blood effect on clothing.  Any suggestions?

May 26 05 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Aplet

Sacramento, California, US

I have never done this but I have read in the past that syrup and food dye work very well.

Maybe there is a stylist on here that can better help you but it's something to try out.

May 26 05 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

stonescorpion

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I've used halloween stage blood in the past.  It looks good in B&W and in color is makes a very surreal red.  Of course if it isn't near halloween you're SOL.

Chocolate syrup works well in B&W as well.  Melted Dark choclate candy bars on the skin also makes a convincing slash mark on the skin from a distance.  Corn syrup thinned with a little water with a lot of red food dye and a dorp or two of green food dye (for the darker color) make a good blood appearance.

Be ready for a messy shoot, and the clothing my not come clean with the corn syrup and food dye recipe.

May 26 05 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

yeah, i dont intend of keeping these cloths at all.  I know what staining is like.  Im ganna be doing alot of color for it, i know chocolate syrup cause "blood in the shower" thank you psycho, lol.

May 27 05 01:04 am Link

Photographer

DBatesPhoto

LACEYS SPRING, Alabama, US

A cheap and realistic fake blood can be made with corn syrup and red dye. Sorry I don't have the recipe for exact mix so you may have to play around some to get it right.

May 27 05 07:02 am Link

Photographer

John Swoger

Peoria, Arizona, US

Do a search on the Internet for "fake blood" tons of recipes.

May 27 05 07:05 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Another thing to keep in mind is that the general rule is that the more realistic the blood, the more likely it is to stain skin and clothing. smile I had this discussion with the proprietor of a stage costume/makeup store not long ago.

There are some fairly expensive professional blood f/x that do *not* stain badly, if you want to spend the money. You need to go to a professional f/x dealer if you want that sort.

M

May 27 05 08:36 am Link

Model

Southern Gent

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ben Nye (I believe that is the name) is a stage blood you can purchase online. It works very well! Not that expensive either smile

May 27 05 08:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Why don't you just browse around, and find one of the good MUA's in NY or CA that can tell you how to achieve that?  Just send them a private email. 

May 27 05 08:42 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by DAF Productions: 
Ok, i need some help.  Im fixing to do a photoshoot, and keep in mind i live in a small town, but I need to know what makes the most convicing blood effect on clothing.  Any suggestions?

Blood always works well....

May 27 05 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

Posted by Mac Davis: 
Ben Nye (I believe that is the name) is a stage blood you can purchase online. It works very well! Not that expensive either smile

He tought me Enersha is a property of matter.... what ever that means, lol

May 27 05 09:55 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I think you mean *Bill* Nye, The Science Guy, who may have told you that inertia is a property of matter, and nobody knows why.

M

May 27 05 10:10 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

LOL @ Enersha

May 27 05 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Cicada

Indian Wells, California, US

Posted by StMarc: 
I think you mean *Bill* Nye, The Science Guy, who may have told you that inertia is a property of matter, and nobody knows why.

M

that show was awesome.

May 27 05 12:11 pm Link

Model

__dead__

Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom

I've done a few shoots with fake blood.

The last one I did was a simple mix of syrup and red food colouring - nearly threw up because of the sweet taste but it looked good on the pictures (I'll try to post some later or mail me and I'll email them to you directly)

Others have been very staining on the skin and this wasn't. Cheap to make too if you need a lot of it!

May 27 05 12:31 pm Link

Model

Hel Inferna

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

i went to school for special make up effects

mix caro syrup and food coloring, you can add cornstarch to thicken

May 27 05 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

dB.

New York, New York, US

liberpolly, MM #361 has some fun pics of girls wrestling in fake blood - http://polyrealism.fotopic.net/c545508.html

google will give you plenty of recipes

May 27 05 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

ClassicHorror

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

Posted by John Swoger: 
Do a search on the Internet for "fake blood" tons of recipes.

*strains brain*

I'm thinking it involves Karo syrup, water, and red food coloring.
..with a coupla drops of blue.

Because blood isn't exactly red.

May 27 05 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

Posted by StMarc: 

M

ooohh.... all i saw is Nye, so yeah..... saddly.... i really do know what inertia is... basicly it is the fact that things with remain what they are doing (movment or lack there of) until an outside force desideds to fuck with it..... Now..... if i could have only stayed awake during english as well.

May 28 05 01:18 am Link

Photographer

Ryan L Holbrook

Posted by XtremeArtists ®: 
LOL @ Enersha

yeaaahhh... i was a math guy, sorry..... but i got board one day and rediscoved i.  My teacher kept going over square roots and i made the computer get a head ache.  lol

May 28 05 01:19 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Actual syrup is way hard to wash off so if thats any consideration - Get that orange dishwashung liquid ..then darken with food colourings in it -  red and some blue. Washes itself off!

x

May 28 05 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Jayson Harrington

Ormond Beach, Florida, US

Posted by DAF Productions: 

My causin had a few recipies for fake blood..one was corn syrup and food coloring ..and the other was KY and food coloring...

May 28 05 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Rice

Saint Peters, Missouri, US

2/3 c. Corn Syrup

1/3 c. Warm Water

5 Tbsp Corn Starch

4 tsp red food coloring

1 Tbsp Powdered Cocoa

2 drops of green or yellow food coloring

Mix the corn starch with the water in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the corn syrup. Add the food coloring slowly, checking for color.

May 30 05 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Stan Goldstein

New York, New York, US

I use Ketchup.  It's readily available, cheap, requires no prep, & cleans up reasonably easily.  Since it's relatively thick (compared to real blood) it tends to stay where you put it & not run too much.  I see that as an advantage, your oinion may differ.

May 30 05 02:23 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Stan Goldstein: 
I use Ketchup.  It's readily available, cheap, requires no prep, & cleans up reasonably easily.  Since it's relatively thick (compared to real blood) it tends to stay where you put it & not run too much.  I see that as an advantage, your oinion may differ.

But it doesn't look very much like blood...

May 30 05 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

BluesteelPhoto

Harrisburg, Arkansas, US

I use the stage blood that comes in the 1 gallon drums, but it stains like a MoFo. It is as real as real blood is, and short of cutting your model, it's about as close as you get. Just let her know in advance that it's going to stain everything it touches.

On another note, I found a company in CA that sells spray cobweb stuff that looks amazingly real as well. Guess what.. It sticks and leaves residue on anything it touches and just try to get it out of your hair..

But both together make for some excellent images, in BW or Color.

May 30 05 10:57 pm Link

Model

Jessika Rae

Akron, Ohio, US

In our independent horror company we use Karo/ food dye (mainly red mix in a "little" bit of blue) sometimes adding some coffee grains into the mix helps as well.  Also might wanna try adding Cherry Jello powder.  Black Cherry Kool aid.  If you want some examples of what it might look like visit our company site at www.projectdoomsday.com  go to the media section and you will find a link with over 90 pics.
It's a very messy project, but it looks great!

Jun 03 05 03:05 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Are you just going for a bloody look, or an all out "I-ate-your-girlfriend-2-minutes-ago"?  There's many things you can try (as has been already suggested).  Again, most of the receipes listed WILL stain body parts.  The models skin will remain this color for roughly 2-3 days afterwards (or less depending on her ability to exfoliate).

For clothes, I'd suggest paint with the right blue/red shade (simply because it won't get all over everyone and you said you don't plan to keep the clothes).  Just simply hang them up outside and splatter at your whim.  You could also soak the ends of the clothes (the bottom of the sleeves, shirt, etc.) in a light mixture of black rit dye, and make them look withered (they'll have a nice dark grey look to 'em).  And from there, use a lighter and burn some nice strategically placed holes into 'em (Yeah, 2 yrs at a haunted house will do this to a person ^_^).  There's also the option to tear the fabric and frey it within reason (again, all about the look).

Party City (and similar chain stores) generally do carry woochies (fake scars, etc) and what not all year around, but more so during halloween.

Ben Nye make-up is great from what I've heard, but pricey for a one-time shoot (you might want to leave it up to the model on that one).  And while you can buy it online, you can't get directly from them unless you're willing to order from their catalog (which you first have to request), so you'd have to get it from a dealer that carries their product. 

Jun 04 05 10:07 pm Link