Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > what are you doing for those less fourtunate

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

With the hustle and bustle of the holiday season upon us and all of the gift buying and gift getting what are you doing for those less fourtunate than your self?
I have started collection blackets for the homeless and I put together a food basket at my job. My husband and I have also gone an done a toy run earlier this year with the PG bikers association.

Dec 11 05 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

JimNew

Los Angeles, California, US

Great topic!

Donating blood is a major gift that only takes about an hour.

https://www.givelife.org/index_flash.cfm?
http://www.blood.co.uk/
http://www.bloodservices.ca/CentreApps/ … 6?OpenPage
http://www.americasblood.org/

If anyone wants to donate to charity, here's a site that rates charities and provides stats such as what percentage of donations goes to the cause vs. operating expenses, etc.

Dec 11 05 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Not nearly enough.

Dec 11 05 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

I've been giving this a good deal of thought lately.  I have a trunk full of shoes and clothing that I'm donating, but I've considered going a step further and donating the gifts I receive this month as well.  Not sure how that will go over with the givers, though.  Alternatively, I've considered taking the gifts I'd buy month and donating them, but again I have nephews under age 10 and it would bweak their widdle hearts. 

I'm thinking that for each gift I purchase, I may buy a second exactly like it, so for anything I decide to give, I could give the same to someone less fortunate (hurricane victims, homeless, etc.).  I haven't quite settled yet.

As an aside, I think this is a great topic, too.  One that I hope continues int the interest of sharing what we'll do and perhaps helping inspire other, rather than boastfully trying to one up one another or belittle someone else's choices...

Dec 11 05 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

I volunteer at a mission and food shelter.  From what I've observed, two of the best items - and by far the most appreciated - are your clothes and shoes you no longer use (especially any jackets for those in cold weather) and food (canned or boxed).  Toys and such are meaningless if one is cold and/or hungry.  I believe Jay, above, said it the best. /t

Dec 11 05 05:37 pm Link

Model

Kharizma

Concord, California, US

you know i pulled into a gas station.  i am waiting for my friend, and then this guy came up to me. He did not ask for money, he simply gave me a look. A look that said he was hungry and tired.  Then I saw him walk across to the popeye's garbage can. Look inside and then discouraged, walked away.  i was like we live in freaking america, and we have homeless and hungry people.  So instead of just doing nothing, I went to popeye's and ordered a number 1 meal.  If everyone would just help one person...maybe we would not have less fortunate people.  You never know when everything you have will disappear.

Dec 11 05 05:42 pm Link

Model

safiraangel

Killeen, Texas, US

I'm participating in sit for change. The site is www.sitforchange.org . It's sponsored by the Shambala mountain center. People sign up to participate and then find other people to sponsor them and we see how many hours of meditation we can do between the 21st and new years. All of the money collected goes to charity. I'm really excited about it and am working right now to find my sponsors. I also donate canned goods and toys to the various organisations collecting them.

Dec 11 05 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Soylent Green

Dec 11 05 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

JimNew

megafunk wrote:
Soylent Green

You're eating people?

Dec 11 05 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

i get enough personal gratification from doing my good works, so much so, i dont feel the need to tell everyone on the internet...but thats just me...

Dec 11 05 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

Kharizma wrote:
you know i pulled into a gas station.  i am waiting for my friend, and then this guy came up to me. He did not ask for money, he simply gave me a look. A look that said he was hungry and tired.  Then I saw him walk across to the popeye's garbage can. Look inside and then discouraged, walked away.  i was like we live in freaking america, and we have homeless and hungry people.  So instead of just doing nothing, I went to popeye's and ordered a number 1 meal.  If everyone would just help one person...maybe we would not have less fortunate people.  You never know when everything you have will disappear.

great idea, i saw a vet outside of  a taco bells on my last trip to the usa, he was sharing a bottle of water with his dog, he had nothing else, just rags on him, and a flag , came up to my window, the simple act of sharing got him enough for a weeks meals from me, theres no excuse for not helping in this the holiday season.

Dec 11 05 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Jimfoto wrote:

You're eating people?

now thats charity....

Dec 11 05 08:55 pm Link

Model

Kim Higley

I often leave food outside my apt building where this homeless gentleman hangs out.  I was bummed he wasn't around on thanksgiving...  I try to give change or food when asked..I figure every little bit has to help.  You never know when it could be you that may need some help someday.

Dec 12 05 09:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Doug Swinskey wrote:
i get enough personal gratification from doing my good works, so much so, i dont feel the need to tell everyone on the internet...but thats just me...

wow now theres the holiday spirit sad

I started this thread to get ppl to think about those less foutunat not fo ppl like you to make them feel bad for "telling everyone on the internet"  this thread was working and I beilive that there are alot of extreamly giving ppl who are every day hero's and sometimes need a little reconition for giving blood or  food or buying a blanket or a toy for a small child.  The world has so much anger and it's nice to see ppl spreading a little jy we dont need ppl like you to bring us down. I am going to tell santa tha you are naughty and only want coal for chrisrtmas

Dec 12 05 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Miguel Book 1

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I had shoot last year a 2005 calendar for a Pet Teraphy program here in VA.\
Also
Give 50% of the sales of some images in my web site to the red cross.
Always recycle and donate clothing and other things, and whatever we can give to the Salvation army, etc.
Just to mention few.

Dec 12 05 09:48 pm Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I took $300 worth of brand new toys and a bike to the local toy drive that the radio station I listen to sponsors. The day after Thanksgiving I donated three huge bags of clothes and shoes to the homeless shelter downtown.

Dec 12 05 09:51 pm Link