Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > software piracy

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

*old recycled joke*

10 out of 7 people have problems with math.

Dec 15 05 11:30 am Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

JBPhoto wrote:

Well, to make sure you understood the post, you would have to steal one good photo and nine shitty ones along with it.  I don't have nine shitty ones, sorry.

Don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back......

Dec 15 05 11:30 am Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

BasementStudios wrote:

Don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back......

I was DYING to see who would reply to that first.

Dec 15 05 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

TySimone wrote:
Thank Bill Gates for that innovation....

area291 wrote:
[...]it was Apple that first penetrated the education market with both hardware and software[...]

Ty Simone responding to Area291 re: Bill Gates starting educational pricing wrote:
Right and Wrong.

Apple gave software / Hardware away to schools for free.
Microsoft started the Student discount program for College Students.
Slightly different animal.

In your own words, Right and Wrong.

Microsoft started their student discount program; no debate on that.

However, other "PC" software companies, including Apple. Tandy, and Commodore did that before the introduction of MS-DOS. As far as I know, Microsoft's various BASIC interpreters--Microsoft's claim to fame prior to DOS--weren't discounted for students, instructors, or schools themselves in general.

Dec 15 05 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Star wrote:
Change on the street has an owner, the person who lost it. That five dollar bill could be someone's lunch.

Then that someone with the five bucks should have held onto it a little tighter.  I'm not in the habit of losing money on the street.

Star wrote:
Also, everyone who accessed this site from work is stealing from their bosses.

That depends.  Different employers have different attitudes.  What if the person is using their lunch break to look at MM? 

Star wrote:
My mother and Uncle each paid for their copy of CS2, I can't afford to. I currently operate about 300 in the hole each month. I spend my money on
1. food
2. bills
3. food for models
4. school supplies

You're $300 in the hole every month and you are feeding models?  Why?

Star wrote:
I am borrowing Adobe until I can pay for it. When I make money from it, I will buy it. It is wrong to steal. There are many worse things to steal though...

You can call it "borrowing" if you want to.  I say the problem lies in your priorities, not in how much CS2 costs.  Do I really care?  No.  But it just baffles me that people admit that stealing is wrong, but still find ways to justify their actions.

Dec 15 05 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Kevin Connery wrote:

TySimone wrote:
Thank Bill Gates for that innovation....

area291 wrote:
[...]it was Apple that first penetrated the education market with both hardware and software[...]

In your own words, Right and Wrong.

Microsoft started their student discount program; no debate on that.

However, other "PC" software companies, including Apple. Tandy, and Commodore did that before the introduction of MS-DOS. As far as I know, Microsoft's various BASIC interpreters--Microsoft's claim to fame prior to DOS--weren't discounted for students, instructors, or schools themselves in general.

Thanks Kevin.
I know that in 1982, MS had a student discount where IBM and TRS did not. (I was selling Cutting Edge Technology computers to College Students at that time, and was able to get the Discount Price for the software that was preloaded on the Systems)
However, As for the other software available, I could not verify one way or the other.
As I said, Most everyone I asked from around that time claimed it was Microsoft that started the Student Discount program.

Maybe they just advertised it better.......

Dec 16 05 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Question:  When schools began putting computers in the classroom, what was the predominate hardware and software platform being used?

Answer:  Apple

The debate over who started the discounting is moot, they probably came about at the same time.  However, Apple was more wide sweeping as their solution(s) covered consistency in hardware and software development for education and was far easier to use and teach through the GUI (not DOS commands).   That Apple invented GUI used in education was the very reason Microsoft built and released Windows as graduating students looking at business applications demanded software applications beyond DOS.

With the open nature of Windows running on all machines built to PC specs by a number of manufacturers beyond just being locked in to one (Apple) and the advance of 10BaseT networks, Windows narrowed the playing field for classroom labs and opened greater discounting for education.  Previous to Windows, there simply wasn't much to discount from a DOS perspective or consistent hardware platform.

Dec 16 05 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

Logan Seh wrote:

You are thinking of the BSA or Business software Aliance.... they are to software what the RIAA is to the record industry... only not quite as rabid...

And unfortunately they are the self apointed watchdogs of software piracy... And also unfortunately if you are a public institution they can in fact walk right in and perform a Onsite spot audit. to  Verify that you are compliant in your licensing of software, and if not impose fines of no less than $150 per incidence/percomputer....

Which then they can turn over to the FBI to become a whole Federal issue,  They also have been known to go after bigger businesses.  They can techincally get away with this invasive tactics because most of the software mogules have agreements with them making them an eforcer of copyrights as dictated under the license agrement that currently on most software goes into effect mearly by posessing said software even though you have not infact opened or even agreed to it.

Indivduals can keep them at bay... by the simple fact that they cannot barge into your home... due to trespass and siezure laws.... but they can get the FBI involved who intern can sieze everything based off a federal warrent...  And in the past 20 yrs I have personally witnessed 2 such siezures of computer equipment... 1 by the FBI and 1 by the NSA... and from what I saw it wasn't pleasent for the recipients...

God you are so full of shit!

Before you try and impress with all your wisdom, why dont you stop by the BSA site and see what they are all about.

They provide software for corporations to evaluate their own systems for bogus software. They cant barge into anything, Public or otherwise.

They may be able to pass a buzz word to another Law enforcement agency but THEY cant do squat!

http://www.bsa.org/usa/antipiracy/Free- … -Tools.cfm

BSA makes these tools available to you at no charge through the cooperation of Centennial Software.

And they have a snitch-A-bitch Hotline
Call our U.S. hotline: 1-888-NOPIRACY (1-888-667-4722)

Fukem all, and they arent about to raid some dipshit for a boot copy of CS.

Dont be an alarmest, thats what old biddy's do, and if you cut in on their action yer likley to get a cane upside yer head.

On the spot audit??? Gimme a break

Dec 17 05 08:23 am Link