Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > When did people become such idiots?

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

So, if you don't want to do TFP, don't do TFP. Don't write someone and start being an antagonistic idiot.

If someone says, I have stopped reading your email's. Stop sending them.

Understand that not every job is one that you want. Photographers are the last ones to get paid. MUA's and Models have a much better shot at paying gigs than a mid-level photographer.

So, just a warning. You don't like aposting on CL, than sorry. Yes, I look for semiprofessional MUA's who wan to collaborate to create art pieces. I don't pay, because these pieces don't pay me. When I get payed, everyone gets paid.

I had a "mua"(I am unsure of their talent as they never sent an image) barrage me with hate mail even when I stated their mail was being deleted. Finally I had to put them on AOL's spam control.

So they changed screen names.

I would have felt worse, except they said that I obviously had never had a real professional do the make-up on my shoots. So, obviously, they are blind since I have worked with extremely talented MUAs.

So, when did CL become the home if such raving idiots who can't understand that a posting for a job is not a solicitation for a conversation on why that job is bogus. Get a life. Like people who pester models to do nude work, when the port says no nude work.

Anyone else have some pet peeves on repsonses to job postings on CL?

Dec 13 05 01:07 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

No.

Dec 13 05 01:10 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Star wrote:
Anyone else have some pet peeves on repsonses to job postings on CL?

My pet peeve with CraigsList is that I waste too much time reading "best of craigslist" and laughing my ass off.

Dec 13 05 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

This isn't a job offer, but it was an annoyance at the people on Craig List. I had posted my Nikon D1x for sale of Craigslist, and almost immediately I got several offers that were obviously scams. No, I'm not sending my camera to Nigeria - trust me on that one. I simply deleted them and I never received another note from these people. I've never had success with Craigslist, either looking for a job, being hired as a photographer, or finding a buyer for the fe things I've tried selling there. So, really, I'm rather unimpressed with the whole thing.

But really, I think some people have just been stupid all along... I'm sure this has been suggested to you, but have you tried looking for MUAs at cosmotology schools? I'm sure you could easily find someone there who'd be more than happy to do makeup for a TFP shoot. That's where I'm starting to look now, although I haven't done a shoot in a little while. Anyway, I wish you much luck in your search. You seem to be having a difficult time at this.

-Pat-

Dec 13 05 01:20 am Link

Photographer

Star

Pat Thielen wrote:
This isn't a job offer, but it was an annoyance at the people on Craig List. I had posted my Nikon D1x for sale of Craigslist, and almost immediately I got several offers that were obviously scams. No, I'm not sending my camera to Nigeria - trust me on that one. I simply deleted them and I never received another note from these people. I've never had success with Craigslist, either looking for a job, being hired as a photographer, or finding a buyer for the fe things I've tried selling there. So, really, I'm rather unimpressed with the whole thing.

But really, I think some people have just been stupid all along... I'm sure this has been suggested to you, but have you tried looking for MUAs at cosmotology schools? I'm sure you could easily find someone there who'd be more than happy to do makeup for a TFP shoot. That's where I'm starting to look now, although I haven't done a shoot in a little while. Anyway, I wish you much luck in your search. You seem to be having a difficult time at this.

-Pat-

The problem with schools is that I never know what I am going to get. I have had great sucess with CL, mainly with MUAs who usually charge but happen to want this shoot style or idea, in their books. Only recently have these idiots started appearing.

Dec 13 05 01:23 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

I can see that, but I'd imagine the upper class at a beauty school would have portfolios and samples of their work they could show you. It is true that you may not know what you're going to get, but I imagine that could be the same situation with finding someone on CL. But I'll assume you know much on this subject than I do as I know you've done more research in this area than I have. Maybe the idiots will leave as mysteriously as they have arrived...
  There was one really stupid "job" for a digital photographer I saw posted there once. It was written in very rude and condenscending tones, and the photographers would have to buy their own digital camera (as required by the poster) and travel to New York to interview with him. And the gig was for photographing little league sporting events. Ah yeah... right. To be perfectly honest, I nearly sent that guy a F**k Off note...

Anyway... I'm sure you'll find the right people; they are out there.

-P-

Dec 13 05 01:31 am Link

Photographer

Star

Pat Thielen wrote:
I can see that, but I'd imagine the upper class at a beauty school would have portfolios and samples of their work they could show you. It is true that you may not know what you're going to get, but I imagine that could be the same situation with finding someone on CL. But I'll assume you know much on this subject than I do as I know you've done more research in this area than I have. Maybe the idiots will leave as mysteriously as they have arrived...
  There was one really stupid "job" for a digital photographer I saw posted there once. It was written in very rude and condenscending tones, and the photographers would have to buy their own digital camera (as required by the poster) and travel to New York to interview with him. And the gig was for photographing little league sporting events. Ah yeah... right. To be perfectly honest, I nearly sent that guy a F**k Off note...

Anyway... I'm sure you'll find the right people; they are out there.

-P-

thanx, I will try MUD and stuff next year. This is my last TFP for about a month,

Star

Dec 13 05 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Job postings of any sort on CL annoy me. This summer i figured there's a bunch of posting for senior pics, so i'll reply to all of them hopefully get a few bucks. So I write individual emails for each one, send an email to each anonymous adress, and wait to see if i get any replies. i person responded to 3 of those emails saying i shouldn't be littering their inbox (they posted 3 times, i was unaware since it was a different anonymous email adress on each one), most people didn't reply, and one person said that if i dropped the price they'd let me use the pictures of their pizza faced bucktoothed broken-nosed kid for my port, but otherwise it was too much (mind you knowing my level i quoted a price half of anyone else in town). And when I posted for tfp on CL i hated the experience also. I got responses where i ended up going to meet the potentials for a meet and greet and then they ask how much am i willing to pay. this is after i stated in the posting that it's tfp, as well as in the emails. Also I've had it where I said I am looking for someone who is comfortable outdoors since I want to shoot by a stream, get  to the are where the stream is during the meet and greet so they can feel more familiar there during the shoot, and they start to complain about mosquitoes and bugs, and asking where the paved path is. People's IQ's have started to drop at a rate of 5 points a year since i moved to michigan 6 and a half years ago. so 32 and a half points lower now. a few more years and people will be trying to figure out whether rubbing 2 sticks together does anything.

Dec 13 05 01:42 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

area291 wrote:
No.

Agree: no problems whatsoever using Craiglist for the last year or so. I think it's all in how you phrase things. You gotta make things VERY. VERY. VERY. CLEAR.

Dec 13 05 08:54 pm Link