Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Some thoughts on why Photographers fight more than models

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

First, let me start off with a *grin*

Next, this is a tack on to another thread: https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=1614

My View Into Why Photographers Fight
Whimsical and off-the-wall essay by yours truly

Every where you go on the Internet, people are arguing. People LOVE to argue and debate about something. Why? It's human nature. At our most basic core, we are animals. Strip away our grooming, clothing, perfumes, cars, degrees, social clubs, high heels, ear rings, cameras, air force ones sneakers, lighting equipment, and concrete dwellings?...we are animals. We are no different than the animals in the wild kingdom of animals. We have our form of communications and so do they. They growl, we cuss. We kill off animals lower in the food chain to eat and survive. We procreate and so do they.

They mark their territories with a swish of piss, we draw maps with geometrical shapes on a big body of land and call them States. Like our four legged, fang teefed, furry counterparts, we too have the instinct that makes us growl whenever we feel being encroached upon and threatened. Some of us growl to establish authority and leadership.

When it comes to Internet Forums and Chat rooms our problems are compounded due to the fact the medium allows us to communicate and become exposed to people from other states and countries. If you think about how territorial and protective a pride of Lions and Lionesses can be in the wilds of Africa, then you can start to imagine how an Internet forum for these animals can make for some very interesting brawls, scuffles, catfights and chicken squabbles.

What makes us different than our wild kingdom counterparts is our ability to design and communicate across various mediums. If a Lion had the ability to draw an area of a jungle with him in it peeing on a brush and he displayed it to a Lion sitting on the otherside of the jungle, what do you think the other Lion would do? He'd growl of course and then a fight between the two would ensue to establish authority and leadership.

So you see, we really are no different than animals in the wild kingdom. Some of us way back in history can even claim to have done exactly what young Lions do when they invade another pride -- hunt and kill the young cubs and get all the Lionesses pregnant with their own seed.

The difference between animals and us though, is our ability to analyze these similarities between civilized animals and animals in the wild and say, "this is disgusting, we can be better than that". And, it's true. Many humans throughout history have striven to be "better than that". The first human ever who strove to be better than that recognized that first, he had to establish authority and leadership so that lesser, or other predatory animals can't interfere in the quest to be "better than that". He discovered a way to harness fire and used it to light his way through the night and ward off predators and competitors. This ancient guy and his DNA, set the pattern for many of us now living in the civilized world.

Ever so often, people discover that they have a knack for Photography, Modeling, Acting, or Makeup. This revelation comes to them much in the same way it came to the guy who discovered how to harness fire. Now, even though that guy was much more primitive than we are, I'm sure the first thing he did was beam his pride and accomplishment to the other primitives around him. Fortunately for him, there wasn't another primitive holding fire also, calling him a GWF (Guy with Fire) and gloating, "Psh. So what? That's no big deal. Your fire doesn't make us well lit. You are nothing. Therefore, you are nothing". Without this feedback, our happy GWF was able to enjoy being in the limelight of people admiring his fire.

This backgrounder serves as a basis for part of the reason why people in general fight, not just Photographers.

Happy Memorial Day

May 30 05 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Bowlin

Tucson, Arizona, US

Some people just are hard to get along with, end of story.

I know being nice can be draining, but in the end it's very hassle free.

May 30 05 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

People like to fight because they want to insist that I'm wrong and will do anything in thier power to prove it.

People hate me because I'm different.

lol

May 30 05 05:19 pm Link

Model

Tina Lee

San Jose, California, US

check out my import scene thread. the photographers in there are ridiculously CUTE! theyre arguing things they dont even know about.

May 30 05 05:23 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
People like to fight because they want to insist that I'm wrong and will do anything in thier power to prove it.

People hate me because I'm different.

lol

It's all about you, Joey! You are the oppressed minority!

May 30 05 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Tina Lee: 
check out my import scene thread. the photographers in there are ridiculously CUTE! theyre arguing things they dont even know about.

hehehe. I went through it from beginning to end. Good to see you holding up and keeping up your spirits. Well, it just goes to show ya what I wrote about. It's the animal kingdom in action...on the Internet...but not as bad as it got in other threads. You're talking, "whew!". *grin*

May 30 05 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Posted by Tina Lee: 

Yups, we don't know anything about the import scene.  I used to one of the promoters of the "original" car show, Import Showoff.  I've entered my old car in 2 Hot Import Night shows.  You just started driving.  Now that's pretty cute.

May 30 05 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

Why do you care? Should I be buddies with everyone here and kiss ass like a lot of photographers I see? Sorry but if I think someone is being a jackass or is full of shit then Im going to call them out on it. It is probably the wrong thing to do, only because most of the people who act that way are looking for attention.

May 31 05 03:05 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by ( ANT ) Mgaphoto: 
Why do you care? Should I be buddies with everyone here and kiss ass like a lot of photographers I see? Sorry but if I think someone is being a jackass or is full of shit then Im going to call them out on it. It is probably the wrong thing to do, only because most of the people who act that way are looking for attention. 

*puts on sermon music*

Ant, Ant, Ant...it's kool to care about stuff. Also kool to have associations with some of your peers in the industry. A compliment, when you feel it's appropriate to give one, is an encouragement to the person receiving it. It's only kissing ass when you give a compliment to someone and expect to get ahead in the game by doing so. When someone is acting the jackass, most of the time it's not to get attention, it's because people want to be part-time clowns. When someone is full of shit, offer the toilet, not the sword...unless the person full of it is about to physically, or mentally harm another by their words

- Sun-Tzu Wanna-be

May 31 05 03:21 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

just read above thread to find out some of the interesting ways the photographers have of fighting...nothing, nothing, witty rapport, wittier rapport, sarcasm, disagreement, bitterness, attempt to mollify...all in eight or so posts. I am impressed by the conciseness of this lesson. lol

May 31 05 08:50 pm Link