Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Getting raped

Model

Alli B

Syracuse, New York, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
Bad credit never looked so good...

I left Verizon and went to T-Mobile.  After running my credit history they said "You can get a plan with a spending limit."  My charges could not exceed $150.  At first I thought "That sucks, no way!" but I gave some serious consideration.  My plan  -all charges total-  comes out to $65 per month.  I forgot to pay my bill one month and I got a friendly text message that my balance was approaching my limit and asked if I'd like to make a payment to bring it back down blah blah blah.  Had I not paid it, they would've interupted my service.

I'll never have to worry about running up some outlandish bill.  I'd have to not pay my bill for 2 months and go over my minutes to reach $150.  The only way possible for me to ever run up a bill higher than that would be to talk up all my minutes and then make an international call or something all day long.  Even still, the next day I wouldn't be able to make a call until my balance was below the limit.

Ahh you have the wonderful Smart Access account....those are always lovely smile

Dec 28 05 01:08 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

in case there is anyone out there left that didnt get the memo.....

CINGULAR SUCKS!!!!

My husband got a huge bill a few months ago because his phone was stolen and someone used it a LOT.......it took him about 45 minutes to get though to a live person, by the time a person answered he was wound pretty tight....the end result was that they split it with him and he paid half...WHAT THE HELL? why dont they just suck it up?  I mean the phone was stolen....

I have Cingular because AT&T was gobbled up.....I didnt want to leave my plan because I have a very old unlimited anytime minutes, roaming, long distance....the whole package for $99.00  ...NOBODY is going to offer me that and I use about 4000 min a month...I know, thats a lot but it's the only phone I use and I have a lot of gabby friends. smile  we also get side tracked while talking because when CINGULAR drops the call we have to start our coversation all over again!

Most of my friends are now with Verizon...they love Verison and they all talk to each other free mobil to mobil....so I am feeling very left out.sad     I will leave my plan March 2007 when my sentence is uphttps://bestsmileys.com/jail/1.gif

Dec 28 05 01:11 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Alli B wrote:
Ahh you have the wonderful Smart Access account....those are always lovely smile

Is that what it's called?  That sounds so much better that the title "People-who-need-to-get-a-better-handle-on-lingering-student-loans-account" that I assumed it was...

Dec 28 05 01:14 am Link

Model

Alli B

Syracuse, New York, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
Is that what it's called?  That sounds so much better that the title "People-who-need-to-get-a-better-handle-on-lingering-student-loans-account" that I assumed it was...

Yup thats what it is....and smart access definition by TMobile is basically for those who kinda have bad credit and want kind of a fresh start, and on to a better road to better credit and then eventually convert to a regular postpaid account...

its the best i can think off of my head as far as the definition goes, but thats really what it is..when i go to work next time, ill get the real definition...

Dec 28 05 01:17 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Russell Perkins wrote:
No it's not the kind you're thinking of, but wow - it might as well be.

I received my Cingular Wireless bill in the mail and opened it to find that my total is $6,354.18 for the ending monthly period.

That's right: $6,354.18

I have NEVER seen a cell phone bill so high in my life.  I moved from CA to Washington 2 months ago and thought that my plan covered pretty much the whole Western Hemisphere; I pay $80 a month.  As it turns out, my plan covers California, Nevada, Hawaii, Arizona and even the Western side of Utah, but NOT Oregan or Washington!!!!  All of my calls on my bill are listed as "roaming" yet the word "roam" has NEVER appeared on my cell phone ONCE since I've been out here.  Also, every time that my bill has exceeded $200, Cingular Wireless calls me to let me know (on a couple of occasions, I had a bill that included 2-3 pay periods combined), yet they never called me once about this skyrocketing amount.

I am currently on the phone with a representative because I simply refuse to pay that amount.  I feel it is negligence on their behalf to allow my bill to get so disgustingly high.  I COULD PAY FOR HALF OF A NEW CAR WITH THAT SAME AMOUNT!

In any event, I am absolutely and supremely outraged with this debacle and wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue...

So are you on THAT SAME CELL PHONE? talking to this company?  I think I would find a land line first before calling them.

Me I do not own a cell and have no plans on ever owning one.  Lots of luck cause you are gonna need it. bs

Dec 28 05 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

bobby sargent wrote:
So are you on THAT SAME CELL PHONE? talking to this company?  I think I would find a land line first before calling them.

Me I do not own a cell and have no plans on ever owning one.  Lots of luck cause you are gonna need it. bs

I own one, but what a friggin scam. I belive they got their business plan from Enron. Charged for both incoming calls and out-going calls.  Ugh. /tim

PS. I am with T-moble.  Nice, but naughty too.

Dec 28 05 03:43 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Eric S. wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with T Mobile ?
I'm looking to switch carriers.

I had AT&T for years then after their service got shitty, dropped them for T-Mobile!  I've very happy with T-Mobile and have a plan that covers all the minutes I talk on the phone at an axxeptable rate.  After dealing with their customer service while getting adjusted, I must say they are good.  The customer service rep really was in the USA, and she saved me money by switching a plan for me near the end of the cycle when I realized I was going to go well over my minutes. 

I'd recommend T-Mobile!

Dec 28 05 04:21 am Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Mary wrote:
in case there is anyone out there left that didnt get the memo.....

CINGULAR SUCKS!!!!

Tell me about it. Wish I had that vaseline when I needed it...from 2000-2002. Damn they screwed me. I hate them, and I hate nokia. Motorola all the way.

Dec 28 05 04:24 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Alli B wrote:
oh boy, i have seen cell phone bills higher than that....I work for T-Mobile Customer Care....I am a supervisor there ( used to be then phone rep) and i get calls like this sometimes...mainly from customers that just got back from travelling internationally and then get the bill and are shocked.....

when you are in north america and of course there are plenty cingular towers in the area...however, you may be on a cingular tower and not know that you are "roaming" because you are still on the cingular network....

there are other things that indicate roaming, usually a roam call rings differently, some phones have roaming indicators, sometimes another carriers name appears on your phone, but with national plans, roaming is included....

its possible that you may be on a regional plan with a calling area, like you mentioned, at point of sale, most sales agents dont always go over your calling plan like they should be doing, and its what is frustrating when working in customer service, some people are confused and call customer service just to have all that explained to them...

before travelling i suggest checking out what your plan covers and what charges will occur and make sure you set up your account to possibly avoid these types of charges...from what your bill total looks like, seems that you are on your phone alot, and i would suggest changing your plan to a national plan to include roaming and long distance...

i had this happen to me as well, and i was a former sprint customer and i was told by the sales agent that i had national coverage, and when i travelled to chicago, i got slammed with roaming charges and i was sooo pisssed when i got the bill, and fought with sprint to take the charges off...luckily they did, i had to escalate to a supervisor because the asshole rep was stubborn and looking to pick a fight...i hope all goes well with everything, if you have questions or concerns, ill be more than happy to help out, but i cant help ya with crediting the bill, but questions about wireless service in general smile

Well hello!  As a happy T-Mobile customer, I must say that it is nice of you to introduce yourself.  I do have a plan that gives me 5,000 anytime/anywhere minutes ... at's quite a perfect plan for me at about $120 a month, I can travel and use to use my phone as my exclusive and only phone.  It's a bargain!

Dec 28 05 04:31 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Well hello!  As a happy T-Mobile customer, I must say that it is nice of you to introduce yourself.  I do have a plan that gives me 5,000 anytime/anywhere minutes ... at's quite a perfect plan for me at about $120 a month, I can travel and use to use my phone as my exclusive and only phone.  It's a bargain!

Pat, get back to the Audray thread....wink

Dec 28 05 04:33 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Tim Baker wrote:

Pat, get back to the Audray thread....wink

LOL  ... but Tim!  I wanna talk about the TMobile Landlords program where maybe they'll put a tower on my moms property so our reception is better!  That is the only problem I have is that I live in an area that no matter who your cell phone service carrier is the calls get dropped or the reception is not the greatest. 

Otherwise, I LOVE my cell phone!  You see, I drive aimlessly up and down the coast of California looking for beaches and models to shoot with.  I do talk and drive responsibly by using a hand less ear piece.  So if you see a white guy with dark hair driving a silver Toyota Supra looking like he is talking to himself, that just might be me!  I have well over 250,000 miles on that car and am rapidly approaching 300,000 which I'm sure this car will have no problem surpassing. So I guess I better drive a bit further up the coast and visit you and other photographers I know?  There are also a few models in Oregon and Washington that I'd like to shoot.  wink

Dec 28 05 04:54 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

LOL  ... but Tim!  I wanna talk about the TMobile Landlords program where maybe they'll put a tower on my moms property so our reception is better!  That is the only problem I have is that I live in an area that no matter who your cell phone service carrier is the calls get dropped or the reception is not the greatest. 

Otherwise, I LOVE my cell phone!  You see, I drive aimlessly up and down the coast of California looking for beaches and models to shoot with.  I do talk and drive responsibly by using a hand less ear piece.  So if you see a white guy with dark hair driving a silver Toyota Supra looking like he is talking to himself, that just might be me!  I have well over 250,000 miles on that car and am rapidly approaching 300,000 which I'm sure this car will have no problem surpassing. So I guess I better drive a bit further up the coast and visit you and other photographers I know?  There are also a few models in Oregon and Washington that I'd like to shoot.  wink

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.  You Californians!

Dec 28 05 05:11 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
There are also a few models in Oregon and Washington that I'd like to shoot.  wink

Hey, those are mine and Leos! Damn Californians wink

Dec 28 05 05:13 am Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

My god!

Well,..... try this:

http://clarkhoward.com

This guy has a radio program on in my area, and he has taken several calls from Cingular Wireless customers in the past who have bitched about similar incidents.. 

I hope you are given some satisfaction over this,...because what happened to you, can happen to anyone of us reading this..  sad

JP

Dec 28 05 05:20 am Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

I've got something for you. It's from that website link I provided above:

Clark talks with Cingulare rep about FCC - March 30, 2005
Clark talked recently about the FCC’s recent study on cell providers and customer satisfaction. The research showed that Cingular had the worst rating of any company while Verizon had the best rating. In fact, Cingular had three times as many complaints as Verizon. Cingular wanted to rebuke that research, so Clark talked today with a Cingular representative on the air. He said Cingular wanted to “clarifyâ€? that customers may be disappointed, in part, because of the merge between AT&T and Cingular. He said the company is coming up with ways to improve service, including bills that are easier to read, offering customers “point of saleâ€? descriptions so people know what they’re buying and the 30-day grace period offered. Clark discussed the problems listeners have getting any help from Cingular customer service folks. The Cingular rep encouraged people to write directly to him at company headquarters if they are getting nowhere with customer service. So, give it a try. His name is Mark Siegel, Executive Director of Media Relations. You can e-mail him at [email protected].

How about that!  Well,....and look,....they even have their PR guy's e-mail address listed  wink

JP

Dec 28 05 05:29 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

John Paul wrote:
My god!

Well,..... try this:

http://clarkhoward.com

This guy has a radio program on in my area, and he has taken several calls from Cingular Wireless customers in the past who have bitched about similar incidents.. 

I hope you are given some satisfaction over this,...because what happened to you, can happen to anyone of us reading this..  sad

JP

Clark Howard is GREAT! I've been listening to him for years. He has turned me into a penny pinching fool!

Dec 28 05 07:13 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Russell Perkins wrote:

I received my Cingular Wireless bill in the mail and opened it to find that my total is $6,354.18 for the ending monthly period.

I have NEVER seen a cell phone bill so high in my life.  I moved from CA to Washington 2 months ago and thought that my plan covered pretty much the whole Western Hemisphere; I pay $80 a month.  As it turns out, my plan covers California, Nevada, Hawaii, Arizona and even the Western side of Utah, but NOT Oregan or Washington!!!!  All of my calls on my bill are listed as "roaming" yet the word "roam" has NEVER appeared on my cell phone ONCE since I've been out here.  Also, every time that my bill has exceeded $200, Cingular Wireless calls me to let me know (on a couple of occasions, I had a bill that included 2-3 pay periods combined), yet they never called me once about this skyrocketing amount.

I am currently on the phone with a representative because I simply refuse to pay that amount.  I feel it is negligence on their behalf to allow my bill to get so disgustingly high.  I COULD PAY FOR HALF OF A NEW CAR WITH THAT SAME AMOUNT!

In any event, I am absolutely and supremely outraged with this debacle and wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue...

Do a little digging on the federal debt collection gudielines. I had a big problem with Cingular when I lived in CA, but eventually got out of paying them because they could not not send me an itemized list of charges.  Do it all in writing, and if you have or know an attorney, copy them on the letter.

I consider Cingular a criminal organization.

Dec 28 05 07:22 am Link

Photographer

quietnow

I had a similar situation as most here - regular bill is 40 per month, then they screw it up one month and I get a bill for $650!

It was absolutely their fault, but having to prove and reprove to the little idiot on the phone was a nightmare, especially when they sit there defending a company that doesn't care about them.

Got the credit - now hate cingular.

Dec 28 05 08:52 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I bought one of those Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go phones. Every few months Best Buy or Target or somebody has a sale on the top-up cards, so I've yet to pay full price for the minutes. When I don't use the phone, I don't pay anything. When I use it, doesn't matter where I am, the per-minute is always the same. If I'm someplace where the phone works at all - and I checked to make sure it works everywhere I'm likely to go - I'm in network and no long distance charges.

M

Dec 28 05 09:33 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

John Jebbia wrote:
I just did some math  and something isn't right here though.. lets say their roaming charges are .69 cents a minute.. (Not sure what Cingular's roaming charges are, but lets just assume .69 cents).

You would have to talk 9,208 minutes.. or 153 hours to get a bill like that. Unless you're a real gabber, something isn't right...

Average is their off peak charge, which could be .69 per minute plus long distance (if that wasn't covered) which is about an extra $1.

So, $1.69 a minute and you didn't get phone sex?

Dec 28 05 09:44 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

StMarc wrote:
I bought one of those Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go phones. Every few months Best Buy or Target or somebody has a sale on the top-up cards, so I've yet to pay full price for the minutes. When I don't use the phone, I don't pay anything. When I use it, doesn't matter where I am, the per-minute is always the same. If I'm someplace where the phone works at all - and I checked to make sure it works everywhere I'm likely to go - I'm in network and no long distance charges.

M

Spokesperson.

Dec 28 05 09:48 am Link

Photographer

retphoto

Sunbury, Pennsylvania, US

I got my first cell phone due to new assignment, it requires that I have a cell phone incase something happens on the way to a client.

From reading all these I am SO glad I went with TRACFONE...

My first month and I used about 25 minutes...

My landline on the other hand get used hard!!!

Dec 28 05 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Shawn Kuck

RANSON, West Virginia, US

I started out with ATT and my service was awesome for years. Anytime I had an issue, a quick call to customer service or the store and it was taken care of. I received the vast majority of my calls at least 90%, which with wireless service is acceptable as long as the other calls got to my voicemail. Cingular bought ATT, people calling me started getting messages saying "the cingular wireless customer your trying to reach is unavailable." Now if your unavailable, shouldn't my friggin voicemail pickup. My phone should be able to be on the bottom of the ocean and I should still be able to check voicemail. On week my phone didn't ring but three times, so I assumed I only got three calls (no love) then one of my friends informed me that he called and assumed my phone had been disconnected. To this day I have no idea how many jobs I lost that week. Sprint was never wonderful with the customer service over the phone, but I come to terms with there's worse things than bad customer service and thats no service. I left cingular and quick and told them to shove their early termination fees, hell I didn't have a contract with them anyway and they violated my contract first. I hate Cingular.

Shawn

Dec 28 05 10:27 am Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

A couple of thoughts on this one:

Unless there is new "hacker technology" that I am unaware of, I don't think your number has been sold to anyone. You most likely have a digital phone and the signal is most likely encoded. In the days of analog cell phones the hackers used to be able to receive your transmissions and obtain the serial # (not your phone #) on the "brain" of the phone. Through this, they could clone your phone many times. As far as I know, this doesn't happen much these days.

I think you have a case in regard to the lack of alert by Cingular about the huge spike in your phone charges. This is true both in general and in light of the fact that they have established a past practice of notifying you of variances in your bill that, in realtionship to this, are minor. While it is your responsibility to know what your contract says, I suspect you can get this bill knocked down to something that you can deal with. Be prepared for a fight, however, because if the roaming is the root of the problem, it isn't just Cingular that is involved - they will have been invoiced by all of the other carriers and those carriers will not give up easily either.

I recommend that you review the bill line by line. Examine each one to determine what charges were applied - connect charges for the other carriers, roaming charges, per minute charges, etc. What I am going for here is for you to become extremely familiar with what was charged, why and if, on a stand-alone basis, each call charge is within the realm of normal roaming fees. If you find charges by the other carriers that seem out of line, you may be able to lay some of the blame on them, thereby strengthening a case for Cingular (and by extension, you) not to pay them. By becoming intimately familiar with the bill you will also be able to respond accurately to whatever lines of defense Cingular and others try to throw up.

Once you have done all that, you might call your local television news stations and ask to speak with their consumer affairs reporter. My guess is that a $6,000+ phone bill would be a newsworthy item and getting them to air the story would probably put Cingular in a much more cooperative mode. Along with this, a call to the Attorney General of your state might be worthwhile. Sometimes such offices will offer help directly or will put you in touch with a state agency that is better suited to handle you specific issue.

Good luck - I had a similar (but MUCH smaller) problem with AT&T before Cingular bought them. My personal view of them is that they are pretty much morons who dwell somewhere among such "delightful" sales people as used car salesmen and the like. I hope you "kick their butts." BTW - when I had my fight with AT&T it was right at the end of my contract and I had it in one of their stores in a mall - there was a Verizon kiosk right down the hall so I went there, got one of their phones, had my old # transferred to it, and then went back to the AT&T store and VERY loudly told the salesperson where to put their contract renewal! It was admittedly a totally juvenile thing for a then 49  year old guy to do but it just felt GOOD!

Best wishes for a successful fight!

Dec 28 05 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Russell Perkins

Dallas, Texas, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:

Average is their off peak charge, which could be .69 per minute plus long distance (if that wasn't covered) which is about an extra $1.

So, $1.69 a minute and you didn't get phone sex?

HAHAHA!  Yeah really!  I got screwed on that end! tongue 

Ok here's an update:

After being on the phone with them for an hour using my CELL PHONE, they are taking care of the entire bill....or perhaps I should say that they have "sent the issue over to "another building" since the total is too high for them to deal with, but I have a really good case and it will be taken care of."  I told them to have someone call me as soon as it was 100% taken care of.

Here's the funniest bit I found out:

My plan was under AT&T Wireless, which was (this is hilarious) a "local national" plan for $74.99 a month.  What this means is, I can use my phone nationally, but I'll get charged roaming fees for it.  I could only use it in CA for it to be considered "local" even though I was covered "nationally"......is everyone else cross-eyed by now?  The most retarded aspect of this, is that it is an out of date plan and Cingular Wireless has a NATIONAL PLAN FOR THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT I AM PAYING FOR THE OLDER PLAN!  That's right ladies and gentlemen!  Instead of automatically updating my account so that I have *true* national coverage for the same price without roaming charges, they have just left it "as is" ever since Cingular merged with AT&T.

This is complete and utter negligence on their behalf.

It's like they want to see how much money they can get out of people before they go "AHA YOU BASTARDS!" and "request" to have their account "updated"....

In any event, that's where it's at, so I'm expecting a phone call from them in the next day or so...

Dec 28 05 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Did they at least have the decency to give you a reach-around? lol

But yea, call Clark Howard, he's BIG in Atlanta 9and abroad) and he gets results.

Dec 28 05 10:54 am Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Ok, posting my $0.02.

I'm with T-Mob.  LOVE it.  I pay about $65/mth, which is 600 anytime, free nights and weekends, free T-Mob to T-Mob, and 1000 txt messages.  Covers MORE than enough for me (though it helps that all of my friends are also currently on T-Mob). 

However....

My b/f currently uses T-Mob for work.  Unfortunately, T-Mob has been expanding its customer base without expanding the network.  So there are a lot of places now that he USED to be able to make calls from that he no longer can (and same for cow-orkers...used to be able to use the cell from home, but cant anymore), and because their phones are basically their lifelines, its unacceptable.  Right now he's carrying around two smartphones on his hip (a Blackberry and a Treo) while they are in the process of switching over to Cingular.  I keep telling him its a bad idea, but maybe dealing with their corporate clients will be better than regular customers.

Dec 28 05 11:09 am Link

Model

Alli B

Syracuse, New York, US

Russell Perkins wrote:
HAHAHA!  Yeah really!  I got screwed on that end! tongue 

Ok here's an update:

After being on the phone with them for an hour using my CELL PHONE, they are taking care of the entire bill....or perhaps I should say that they have "sent the issue over to "another building" since the total is too high for them to deal with, but I have a really good case and it will be taken care of."  I told them to have someone call me as soon as it was 100% taken care of.

Here's the funniest bit I found out:

My plan was under AT&T Wireless, which was (this is hilarious) a "local national" plan for $74.99 a month.  What this means is, I can use my phone nationally, but I'll get charged roaming fees for it.  I could only use it in CA for it to be considered "local" even though I was covered "nationally"......is everyone else cross-eyed by now?  The most retarded aspect of this, is that it is an out of date plan and Cingular Wireless has a NATIONAL PLAN FOR THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT I AM PAYING FOR THE OLDER PLAN!  That's right ladies and gentlemen!  Instead of automatically updating my account so that I have *true* national coverage for the same price without roaming charges, they have just left it "as is" ever since Cingular merged with AT&T.

This is complete and utter negligence on their behalf.

It's like they want to see how much money they can get out of people before they go "AHA YOU BASTARDS!" and "request" to have their account "updated"....

In any event, that's where it's at, so I'm expecting a phone call from them in the next day or so...

Well I am glad you are getting things settled with them, the wireless industry is very sneaky and when I assist my customers I tell em straight how it works and try to help em save money and what not, because I am a wireless consumer myself, and some people need a break....

Dec 28 05 01:20 pm Link

Model

Sarah Schaf

Wyandotte, Michigan, US

I have Nextel/Sprint which is pretty nice because you have free calling across the US and some parts of Canada. Free long-distance? Now that's sweet, especially in this business. Plus there are NO roaming charges. I used to be on Cingukar and got ripped on numerous bills even though I'm barely on my phone.

Dec 28 05 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Tanya Fields

New York, New York, US

Cingular is like the wireless mob. My sister and I have our plans on there, every month the bill is stupid high but they can't explain why. They will cut you off two days after your bill is due so that you have to keep paying that crazy ass activation fee. you know the one where you pay 40 bucks for someone to press a key on a computer. The phones they have are the shittest. Nothing but problems I am ready to say the hell with it and throw my phone in the East River. I don't care what anyone says all cell phone companies rape you. Why, because they can, I rmemebr when we didn't have cell phones and everyone was fine. Why is it now that we all have to have them plastered to the sides of our face. i know I sound like an old foggie but I am only 25. Still it all seems useless. To hell with Cingular. Can't wait till tax time, I am breaking my contract and running for the hills.

Dec 28 05 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Eric S. wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with T Mobile ?
I'm looking to switch carriers.

Been with them for several years.  Got a GREAT plan with them, customer service has been exemplary.  I started out when they were Voicestream & they screwed my bill up badly.  I fought with them for months, and 2 days after T-Mobile took over it was fixed.  I've been very happy with them.

Dec 29 05 01:26 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

UdoR wrote:
Have 3000 "whenever minutes" with regional limit. Cost me pretty much $80 per months, including all the taxes and surcharges, plus out of region calls and international SMS'.

They're offering better plans than that now.  For $49.99 you get 1500 whenever minutes, free nights and weekends, no long distance and no roaming in the US.  Unlimited multimedia & text messages are an additional $15 a month.  (I got unlimited standard text and T-Mobile to T-Mobile calling grandfathered for $10 extra from my old plan, so $59.99+ tax for everything)

Dec 29 05 01:29 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

I think a lot of people here have no clue how the roaming thing actually works with the bill...

Your carrier charges you for using another carrier's network, But that other carrier also charges you as an outsider.

I had a phone that picked up some off the wall Cell tower in VA, even though my carrier was supposed to have coverage there.

I got the bill next month and had the roaming charges from my carrier and charges like these from the other carrier.

$.75 Call placed - Busy
$1.25 Call Placed - no answer
$24.75 Call to xxxx - 4 minutes.

My bill was over $1000 for a 3 day trip.

Needless to say my Carrier removed all the charges because their tower should have grabbed my phone first.....

Dec 29 05 06:44 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

What did you all do BEFORE mobile phones?

Throw the damn things away and go back to doing it that way.

I dumped the mobile [electronic leash] more than 5 years ago and never looked back. Then I returned to a land line with a fixed national tariff (no individual or metered call charges to ordinary phones anywhere in the country) and + broadband internet access at a combined FIXED monthly rate (UKP50 = ca USD75). Even Intl calls are cheep cheep cheep - e.g. 30 minutes London to Cali = UKP3.50 = ca USD6.

Anyone that wants me can call and leave a message or send me an e-mail. Basically anyone I usually am doing business with outside my local call area that calls me during business hours knows to just let it ring 3 - 4 times and hang up [I can read the caller's number] and I call them right back at no cost to me or them.

LOL

Studio36

Dec 29 05 07:29 am Link

Model

Madellyn

Dallas, Texas, US

I used to have Cingular, actually they were Southwestern Bell when I signed up. Southwestern Bell was good, but Cingular. Man, They never had my bill right. Ithen went to Nextel. I have been with them for about 4 years. I have never had a problem with them, and nobdy could beat the plan that they offered me. I was a little sad when Sprint merged with the company.

I don't know if it still is but Nextel used to be the only company (at least around my area) that offered a 1 year contract agrreement, and they gave me mid range phone for 1 penny. Can't beat that!!

Dec 29 05 04:47 pm Link

Model

Lady Bronze

Los Angeles, California, US

Russell Perkins wrote:

my cell bill once reached 3+ grand....I paid 1 grand off, but they kept charging interest and the morons kept turning the phone back on, and charging me reactivation fees. A bunch of tools, I tell you.

Jan 06 06 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Lady Bronze wrote:
my cell bill once reached 3+ grand....I paid 1 grand off, but they kept charging interest and the morons kept turning the phone back on, and charging me reactivation fees. A bunch of tools, I tell you.

M'Lady, I suggest you use the phone in the hotel when you come out to AZ. wink

Jan 06 06 02:10 am Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Had Verizon (GTE) since 1985, except for the 90's when I was in Moscow. GTE and now Verizon has been really good.  For what it's worth.

Jan 06 06 02:19 am Link