Forums > Model Colloquy > autographed pictures

Model

Dana Nicole

NEPTUNE, New Jersey, US

I'm pretty new to this business, but I received and e-mail from a soldier in Iraq who said one of my pictures is hanging in their recreation room and that pretty much everyone on base knows who I am.  Obviously, someone thought I was cute and printed it off of Ujena or something...well, I'm very flattered, of course, but I'll get to the point.

He wanted to know if I could send him an autographed one...now, how do I go about this copyright-wise?  As long as the watermarks/copyright stamps are visible on the picture is it okay?  Or do I need permission from the photographer? 

For one shoot I didn't sign anything, but for one of them I signed a TFP thing, which I re-read and it only said something about if there's money involved, which there is none in this case.  Advice?

Dec 27 05 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

I'm not saying to send or not, but make sure you get an address that shows the guy is in the military if you do...  I received the same type of e-mail from someone a few months back that saw a model's image I had taken on my port here.  I responded to his "you're so Hot!!!! I'm such a lonely soldier..." line by saying I'm not asking, so don't tell, but I doubted that I was his type...  LOL  The address he sent was US based and I asked about this and never heard back...  My thinking on it, however, is if someone wants a 8x10 print or whatever, let him pay for it and the mailing, etc. and let the photographer do it so the print is of a high quality (with a copyright notice on the image or a stamped "not for reproduction" or such on the back...), that way the guy doesn't get your return address, at a minimum he's distanced and you don't get the inevitable follow ups...

Dec 27 05 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

You need permission from the photographer who holds copyright.  If he's a reasonable guy, he'll give it to you for this use, provided money's not involved.

-Don

Send them nudes.  Servicemen love autographed nudes.

P.S.  "APO" or "FPO" in the mailing address generally means it's going overseas.

Dec 27 05 09:40 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

PDXImaging wrote:
I'm not saying to send or not, but make sure you get an address that shows the guy is in the military if you do...  I received the same type of e-mail from someone a few months back that saw a model's image I had taken on my port here.  I responded to his "you're so Hot!!!! I'm such a lonely soldier..." line by saying I'm not asking, so don't tell, but I doubted that I was his type...  LOL  The address he sent was US based and I asked about this and never heard back...  My thinking on it, however, is if someone wants a 8x10 print or whatever, let him pay for it and the mailing, etc. and let the photographer do it so the print is of a high quality (with a copyright notice on the image or a stamped "not for reproduction" or such on the back...), that way the guy doesn't get your return address, at a minimum he's distanced and you don't get the inevitable follow ups...

same thing happened to me a few times.  Honestly, who wants an autographed picture of me when they can get a autographed picture of "insert naked hottie".  I just assumed it was a scam and didn't bother with it, not that I'm saying it a scam mind, I'm just saying check before you mail.

Dec 27 05 09:47 pm Link

Model

Doris

Burbank, California, US

If you're giving it away, then it should be fine.  If you're selling it, then I see a problem.

That's how it works with headshots that are signed here in LA.

Dec 27 05 09:49 pm Link

Model

Dana Nicole

NEPTUNE, New Jersey, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
You need permission from the photographer who holds copyright.  If he's a reasonable guy, he'll give it to you for this use, provided money's not involved.

-Don

Send them nudes.  Servicemen love autographed nudes.

P.S.  "APO" or "FPO" in the mailing address generally means it's going overseas.

Yes, it had an APO in it.  And I asked the photographer and he said yes.  Thank you all!!

Dec 27 05 09:59 pm Link

Model

Dana Nicole

NEPTUNE, New Jersey, US

I don't think it's a scam at all, the guy didn't say anything like "you're so hot"...it was all just very respectful and sweet:

"Hi Dana, I am stationed with the Army in Iraq. I would like to get an autographed picture if that is possible. My address here is:"

"Hey, thanks for answering! I saw you from a picture of you on a beach with your hair in a pony tail that somebody hung in our rec room. If I could ask an extra favor, I am a gunner on our convoys and would love to have a personalized autograph picture, because everyone here knows your picture and that would be awesome to have a picture signed by you.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas,"

"Gosh I don't who hung it, there are thousands of soldiers here, mostly Army but a few from the other branches. And probably several hundred use our rec room on a regular basis. That's where the tv and couches and books are. I figured the picture came out of Maxim or some magazine and somebody just printed it off the computer. The picture said 'Dana Nicole' on it so I typed that in to the computer under search and there you popped up.

If you can make one picture out to the 448th (that's the company) and one to your favorite gunner or something like that (me) that would be awesome. Of course if you can only send one, just send the one to me, and everyone can just be jealous. smile

I just checked out your site, and wow, there are so many great picures it's hard to choose. The one under swimwear, #12, that's the one hanging up over here! If you could send #19 for the unit, I'll put it next to the other one. For me, I really like #7 and #18 in fashion, but really anything will be fine.

Thanks again, it's great that you answered, I figured you probably get a thousand of these requests."

those don't sound creepy, do they?  i don't get that impression.

Dec 27 05 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

It sounds kinda cool - and sure beats the granola bars and handywipes I have sent in the past.  LOL

Dec 27 05 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Geary Enterprises

Rochester, New York, US

Hi Dana, You pose a loaded question.

It all depends on the release and the agreement you signed with the photographer. Your best bet would be to contact them to see what they will or won't approve of.

The first question that comes to mind is how did the photo that prompted the request for an autographed copy get there.
Was it copied of the web, sent by you, the photographer, etc???
How did the person that requested an autographed copy find you to make such a request???

Some of the replies I've seen to this post said "If no money changes hands, I see no problem", they are not aware of copyright laws. The photographer retains all rights to duplication and distribution, unless you hired the photographer and were given the copyrights.

What if the photographer that took the image plans to publish it?
They "Own" the rights to that image. If it is something that they intend to publish, if it ends up in circulation before that it can and will reduce it's saleability and benefit to you and the photographer. Unless otherwise stated in your release you have the ability to present the images in your portfolio for your own self promotion, period, nothing more, you do not have the right to make and give away copies.

It all depends on the basis and purpose of the shoot. The photographer may be thrilled to have an autographed copy of their image floating around, they may not.

Bottom line is this is a question to ask the photographer that took the image, not a question for a public forum...........

Best, Joe

Dec 27 05 11:52 pm Link

Model

Doris

Burbank, California, US

Geary Enterprises wrote:
They "Own" the rights to that image. If it is something that they intend to publish, if it ends up in circulation before that it can and will reduce it's saleability and benefit to you and the photographer.

In this case, the model dang well better already be aware that the photographer intends to publish the photograph and should have been compensated or at the very least compensation upon sale should have been discussed and arranged.

Dec 27 05 11:56 pm Link

Model

Dana Nicole

NEPTUNE, New Jersey, US

Geary Enterprises wrote:
The first question that comes to mind is how did the photo that prompted the request for an autographed copy get there.
Was it copied of the web, sent by you, the photographer, etc???
How did the person that requested an autographed copy find you to make such a request???

He it was just posted in their rec room...it had my name underneath it, or at least, my stage name...and it was printed off of the internet but everywhere I post it it has the photog's logo on it and I copyright...but he said he googled my stage name and he found me Ujena page which has my e-mail on it.  I googled my own name and it was the first link to pop up so it's plausible. 

Either way, no one's benefitting monetarily from it, and unless I end up famous in 20 years or something it won't be worth anything on eBay.  But I did already speak to both photographers who said it was perfectly fine.

Thank you all for your help.

Dec 28 05 01:09 am Link

Photographer

John Lavery

Manchester, Connecticut, US

Geary Enterprises wrote:
They "Own" the rights to that image. If it is something that they intend to publish, if it ends up in circulation before that it can and will reduce it's saleability and benefit to you and the photographer. Unless otherwise stated in your release you have the ability to present the images in your portfolio for your own self promotion, period, nothing more, you do not have the right to make and give away copies.

If the photographer plans to publish it and doesn't want it in circulation, he wouldn't have given it to the model to post on her internet portfolio. If it's on the net, it's already in circulation. And arguably, sending a free autographed photo to a soldier in Iraq falls under self promotion. She's getting her name and image out to an entire group of soldiers. You can't tell me that doesn't have the potential to generate some revenue or marketability somewhere down the line. I'd say she handled this absolutely correctly by asking the photographer's permission and sending the photos. I certainly wouldn't say "no" to a request like this from one of my models.

Dec 28 05 11:07 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

You still need permission of the photographer to reproduce and redistribute his work, regardless of whether or not you're selling it.  It is unlikely that he would mind, given that the shot is already online and being circulated and you're not profiting from it.

Dec 28 05 11:26 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

If you post photos of yourself on the web, you will get TONS of requests from guys who want autographed prints.  I don't have the money to be throwing around like that, so I tell anyone who asks that I will be more than happy to sign a print that they purchase from the photographer, before it gets send out.  How many have actually gone through with that?  Zero.

Dec 30 05 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Whatever the case may be, I think it's pretty cool.

How often does one get that kind of publicity, followed by an email from someone who saw it? Obviously, he liked it enough to seek you out, and if the photographer(s) is okay with it, then cool.

You did the right thing by asking the photographer.

You never know, maybe this small deed can blossom into something much bigger than an 8x10 autographed photo.

Dec 30 05 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Dana Nicole wrote:
He wanted to know if I could send him an autographed one...now, how do I go about this copyright-wise?

Print the picture out, autograph it and send it.  Based on the situation if there is any bitch by the photographer tell him to FO.

Any photographer that would get his panties in a bunch over something like this is probably a hack.

Dec 30 05 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Scott Visual

At first read, this sounded sketchy, like requests that I get for autographed images from some of my sites (and from models' sites that I run).

Two things to be wary of, that we learned the hard way:

DO NOT sign your name.  Write it or print it (they know it already anyway), but DO NOT include your signature for two reasons:  A)  identity theft and B) it reduces the resale value on Ebay.

Also:  Be sure to address it to a specific person (my models address it to the person who's name appears on the credit card used to purchase the print, regardless of the request).  Again, this reduces the resale value on Ebay (Jim isn't highly likely to buy an 8x10 of someone that's addressed to Fred).

Dec 31 05 07:57 am Link

Photographer

San Diego, California, US

What an honor :-)

Dec 31 05 08:37 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

JHoward wrote:
At first read, this sounded sketchy, like requests that I get for autographed images from some of my sites (and from models' sites that I run).

Two things to be wary of, that we learned the hard way:

DO NOT sign your name.  Write it or print it (they know it already anyway), but DO NOT include your signature for two reasons:  A)  identity theft and B) it reduces the resale value on Ebay.

Also:  Be sure to address it to a specific person (my models address it to the person who's name appears on the credit card used to purchase the print, regardless of the request).  Again, this reduces the resale value on Ebay (Jim isn't highly likely to buy an 8x10 of someone that's addressed to Fred).

I agree with part of what you said, and understand the other part.

Yes, identity theft could be an issue, but it cheapens the picture if you just write/print your name. When I sign my pictures, it's not the same as the signature used for credit card purchases, etc., but it IS my signature.

If you address it to that person specifically, it would definitely reduce the resale value. Maybe I'm just naive, but if the guy went through all this to get an autographed picture that's personalized, how much could he realistically get on Ebay?

The upside to Ebay is that if it DOES go on sale there at some point, then there will be yet another group of people who will see the picture, which could mean more exposure and publicity.

Dec 31 05 09:00 am Link