Forums > Model Colloquy > to all the actors/models in NYC..

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

how many of you wait tables?  im moving up there in 2 weeks and im trying to find the best way to make money, and so far waiting seems the most logical. 

thanks

Dec 28 05 06:13 pm Link

Model

Reds

New York, New York, US

If you can get a bartending job...BARTEND! By far the best job in NYC.

Dec 29 05 04:32 am Link

Model

Reds

New York, New York, US

You're good-looking...try to get a job at a gay bar in chelsea. Regardless of your sexuality, you will make SERIOUS money there.

Dec 29 05 04:33 am Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

dont you have to be 21 to bartend?  someone told me that a couple weeks ago.. i would love to bartend but id have to wait 8 months or soo...

Dec 29 05 04:44 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Yes, you have to be 21 to bartend.  And it's getting harder to break into at bars with decent tips.

It's really a nasty job, though.  One step up from waiting tables and 2 steps up from the deep frier.

Dec 29 05 10:16 am Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

theda wrote:
Yes, you have to be 21 to bartend.  And it's getting harder to break into at bars with decent tips.

It's really a nasty job, though.  One step up from waiting tables and 2 steps up from the deep frier.

but what else can i do that ill pull in a grand a week?  i figured waiting was gonna be my best bet...

Dec 29 05 10:47 am Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

and is it true that you get paid minimum wage as a waiter too?  like $6.15 an hour plus your tips?

Dec 29 05 10:56 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

You're not gonna get $6.15 as an hourly wage waiting tables. Waoter make less than minimum plus tips.

If you need to pull in a grand a week, get a computer science degree and work as a systems analyst.

You miught come close to a grand a week is you work full-tim+ at a really good restaurant including tips.

Dec 29 05 10:59 am Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

well i guess im gonna have to make it big sooner than i thought...  smile

Dec 29 05 11:22 am Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

theda wrote:
You're not gonna get $6.15 as an hourly wage waiting tables. Waoter make less than minimum plus tips.

If you need to pull in a grand a week, get a computer science degree and work as a systems analyst.

You miught come close to a grand a week is you work full-tim+ at a really good restaurant including tips.

i was told that they make minimum wage plus tips like they do in CA.  im a waiter down here making 3.13 an hour plus tips...  hopefully planet hollywood is hiring...  smile

Dec 29 05 11:23 am Link

Photographer

JasonE

Durham, California, US

Reds wrote:
If you can get a bartending job...BARTEND! By far the best job in NYC.

This might seem like a dumb question...but how do bartenders learn how to make the drinks?, like do they go to a bartending bootcamp or something?

Dec 29 05 12:07 pm Link

Model

Reds

New York, New York, US

I disagree with theda...I've been bartending in NYC for two years and i LOVE it. It' not a nasty job at all, its a total power trip, you don't have to take anybodys crap and the money is great. And you actually don't have to be 21...technically you only have to be 18 to serve alcohol, but most bars want someone older so they can do shots with the customers. As for learning how to make drinks, here is my suggestion...bartending schools are a waste of money. You'll learn how to make the drinks, but it won't get you a job. Start working at a restaurant, then ask them to train you behind the bar. Even if they never let you actually work there, you'll have learned the basics, and you can still put it on your resume! wink
In fact, dustin, message me when you come to NYC. I'll give you a list of places i know people at...see if we can get you hooked up.

Dec 29 05 12:31 pm Link

Model

Number Juan Jon

EAST ELMHURST, New York, US

I actually learned how to make drinks by throwing my own parties and making cocktails for everyone. Its true that bartending school is a waste of money, the best way to learn  is to get behind a bar with someone who is experience and make the drinks yourself. When i started as a Cater Waiter they put me in bar even thought i didnt know how to make drinks but i was always with someone who knew how to make em and i learned quickly.

Dec 29 05 12:57 pm Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

reds you are definitely the best!  i was thinking of goin to planet hollywood, TGI fridays, or olive garden as a waiter, and then tell them that i want to get into the bar.  i figured that they did pretty well there. 

btw, where is a good place for me to look for apartments?  im staying at a friends place till i can get my feet on the ground.  but where is a nice area that when my gf comes up to live that i wont have to worry? 

thanks everyone!

Dec 29 05 01:15 pm Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

Number Juan Jon wrote:
I actually learned how to make drinks by throwing my own parties and making cocktails for everyone. Its true that bartending school is a waste of money, the best way to learn  is to get behind a bar with someone who is experience and make the drinks yourself. When i started as a Cater Waiter they put me in bar even thought i didnt know how to make drinks but i was always with someone who knew how to make em and i learned quickly.

yeah ive always heard that bartending school is a waste, its always been my opinion that you will learn more from experience over schooling. 

what part of the city you in bro?  ill be living in manhatten for now

Dec 29 05 01:17 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

There's no longer such a thing as a "bad area" in NYC in terms of danger with the possible exception of Bushwick or Bed Stuy.

Word to the wise: there is no such place as "East Williamsburg."  That IS Bushwick.

I would think Olive Garden or TGI Fridays would tip well enough to surive alone, but then again, I lived off nothing.

Dec 29 05 01:25 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Unless you can show that you have experience with bartending, have a special flare somehow, or are a hot chick (like Reds), if you apply for a job at a restaurant, or just any bar, likely you'll start out bar-backing, which really sux.  On the bright side, you won't need to pay gym fees while you do that.

Dec 29 05 01:42 pm Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

Mayanlee wrote:
Unless you can show that you have experience with bartending, have a special flare somehow, or are a hot chick (like Reds), if you apply for a job at a restaurant, or just any bar, likely you'll start out bar-backing, which really sux.  On the bright side, you won't need to pay gym fees while you do that.

well i have a little bit of experience... one night i bartended at my work... lol.  but i learn quickly and ill have reccommendations out the wahzoo to show everyone. 

i think i have that special flare.  cant do the whole girl part...  lol

Dec 29 05 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

JasonE

Durham, California, US

Number Juan Jon wrote:

Oh...

Dec 29 05 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

JasonE

Durham, California, US

dustin or something wrote:

well i have a little bit of experience... one night i bartended at my work... lol.  but i learn quickly and ill have reccommendations out the wahzoo to show everyone. 

i think i have that special flare.  cant do the whole girl part...  lol

What part of New York are you going to be living in...New York, NY? (because that is where all of the agencies are at).

Dec 29 05 03:44 pm Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

JasonE wrote:

What part of New York are you going to be living in...New York, NY? (because that is where all of the agencies are at).

manhatten for now by 72nd street and west central park..

Dec 29 05 04:11 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I feel poorer just reading that address.

Dec 29 05 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

JasonE wrote:

Oh...where the streets are lined with gold bricks? Or at least where everything is so expensive you'd think the streets are lined with gold bricks...

SoHo is a joke now...so is any part of Manhattan.  Williamsburg, Queens, the Bronx, or DUMBO...rents are low(ish) at around $5/sq foot.

Dec 29 05 04:23 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

raveneyes wrote:
Oh...where the streets are lined with gold bricks? Or at least where everything is so expensive you'd think the streets are lined with gold bricks...

SoHo is a joke now...so is any part of Manhattan.  Williamsburg, Queens, the Bronx, or DUMBO...rents are low(ish) at around $5/sq foot.

Williamsburg is just about as expensive as the East Village at this point.  Washington Heights and Inwood are still relatively reasonable.  Chinatown is pretty cheap if you can find something there. Queens, The Bronx and more remote areas of Brooklyn are considerable cheaper.

I don't call $5/square foot cheap by any means, even in NYC.  This is still that land of the Rent Stablization Law. You just have to find them.

Dec 29 05 04:37 pm Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

raveneyes wrote:

lol...  i wont be staying there forever...  unfortunately....  smile

Dec 29 05 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

When I first moved to the city, I was staying in Brooklyn Heights--getting totally spoiled.  But when I tried to get an apartment there, I got laughed out the the neighborhood.

Then I moved to Astoria, and couldn't be happier.  Well, it would be nice if there was a decent bookstore, but it's almost perfect.

Dec 29 05 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Oh, and as for a job, pick up a Backstage and check out the temp agencies that specifically cater to actors.

Dec 29 05 10:23 pm Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Oh, and as for a job, pick up a Backstage and check out the temp agencies that specifically cater to actors.

whats a backstage? 

and isnt Astoria way out in BFE?  dont you have to take the N train or something like that and its WAAYY out there.. ?

Dec 30 05 10:00 am Link

Model

Sareenah

New York, New York, US

Im moving to nyc as well in february and thinking about Astoria too.....heard it wasnt too much of a commute.

Dec 30 05 10:27 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

whats a backstage? 

and isnt Astoria way out in BFE?  dont you have to take the N train or something like that and its WAAYY out there.. ?

It is BFE, but not way out there.  It's the western most neighborhood in Queens.  And yes, it is on the N(ever).  It would probably be less traumatic to live near the R(arely) line.  I loathe it with a firey passion. Nowehere to get decent Polish food.

I'd like to move to Brooklyn Heights, but I need more bling coming in for that.  It's not too far out in Brooklyn and because of the courthouses, there are 8 million train lines going there. 

And Backstage is an industry magazine for actors.  One of the better ones.

Dec 30 05 10:27 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

theda wrote:
Williamsburg is just about as expensive as the East Village at this point.  Washington Heights and Inwood are still relatively reasonable.  Chinatown is pretty cheap if you can find something there. Queens, The Bronx and more remote areas of Brooklyn are considerable cheaper.

I hear my ex husband is renting our old 2 bedroom apt (floor thru) for something over $6,000 a month now.

Chinatown, for the square footage and living conditions, is not cheap (trust me, I used to be a slumlord there).  Many buildings still have the bathtub in the "kitchen" and john out in the hallway. Most of our tenants lived 30+ years in two 12x12' rooms. Those same apts (once they did vacate) went up to $850 per mo. (in 1990.. don't know what it is now, but it won't be cheap). My ex pays my child support in cash every month (chinese don't like banks). As far as I know, there are no "bargains" left in Manhattan proper, like the lower east side used to be.

Dec 30 05 10:51 am Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

Sareenah wrote:
Im moving to nyc as well in february and thinking about Astoria too.....heard it wasnt too much of a commute.

thats cool! congrats!  what are you moving for?

Dec 30 05 11:34 am Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

theda wrote:
It is BFE, but not way out there.  It's the western most neighborhood in Queens.  And yes, it is on the N(ever).  It would probably be less traumatic to live near the R(arely) line.  I loathe it with a firey passion. Nowehere to get decent Polish food.

I'd like to move to Brooklyn Heights, but I need more bling coming in for that.  It's not too far out in Brooklyn and because of the courthouses, there are 8 million train lines going there. 

And Backstage is an industry magazine for actors.  One of the better ones.

ok cool.. do you have to pay for backstage?  and where can i pick one up at when i get up there? 

how much is brooklyn heights?  and where? 

i have a friend who is gonna make a couple phone calls for me to this restruant in NYC and he told me that i will definitely walk out with $500 off of three tables in one night...  i dont know how true that is, but we will see. 

Reds i still will message you when i get up there even if i get that job and its legit.  i really want to try my hand at bartending, everyone has told me im gonna do great cause of my personality.

Dec 30 05 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Astoria isn't even remotely BFE.  It's avoided by Queensaphobes, but that just helps keep the Manhattan snobs out.  It's easier to get to than many of the other supposedly cool neighborhoods like Park Slope, Williamsburg, or Washington Heights.  And it's decidedly more inexpensive than the the former two.

I hear the best Polish food is in Greenpoint, but that's on the G.  *shudder*

Dec 30 05 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

ok cool.. do you have to pay for backstage?  and where can i pick one up at when i get up there?

Just about every newsstand carries Backstage.  Also see www.backstage.com

dustin wrote:
how much is brooklyn heights?  and where?

Brooklyn Heights is between downtown Brooklyn and the river.  It's gorgeous, but expect to pay Manhattan prices.

Dec 30 05 11:50 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Mayanlee wrote:
I hear my ex husband is renting our old 2 bedroom apt (floor thru) for something over $6,000 a month now.

Chinatown, for the square footage and living conditions, is not cheap (trust me, I used to be a slumlord there).  Many buildings still have the bathtub in the "kitchen" and john out in the hallway. Most of our tenants lived 30+ years in two 12x12' rooms. Those same apts (once they did vacate) went up to $850 per mo. (in 1990.. don't know what it is now, but it won't be cheap). My ex pays my child support in cash every month (chinese don't like banks). As far as I know, there are no "bargains" left in Manhattan proper, like the lower east side used to be.

$6k? Ouch.

I had friends who lived in Chinatown.  Their place was small, but they paid less than everyone uptown for the same space.  I actually came close to moving to a place in Chinatown.  it was like 700 square feet for $1,300 (1 bedroom). In Manhattan terms, dirt cheap. I've done L&T cases for pretty much every neighborhood in NYC, Chinatown is the cheepest with most of the legal rents still under $1,000. The key is to getting the place as soon as the old tenant dies and find a building that's not Chinese owned.  For some reason that perhaps Mayan can elighten us to, being an ex-Chinese slumlord, Chinese landlords are evil.

Dec 30 05 11:53 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Astoria isn't even remotely BFE.  It's avoided by Queensaphobes, but that just helps keep the Manhattan snobs out.  It's easier to get to than many of the other supposedly cool neighborhoods like Park Slope, Williamsburg, or Washington Heights.  And it's decidedly more inexpensive than the the former two.

I hear the best Polish food is in Greenpoint, but that's on the G.  *shudder*

Queensaphobia is valid.  It's really ugly here.

And it is easier to get to Washington Heights and about as easy to get to as Williamsburg.  But it is cheap-ish in Astoria. 

There is excellent Polish food to be found in Brooklyn Heights, the East Village and Williamburg, too.  I think Greenpoint food is overrated.

Dec 30 05 11:57 am Link

Photographer

JasonE

Durham, California, US

oh...

Dec 30 05 04:59 pm Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

what about the village..  some people have told me itd be good for me to check out that area for an apartment and a job...

Dec 30 05 11:24 pm Link