Forums > Model Colloquy > Suck in those cheeks!

Model

Joshua Stone

San Diego, California, US

heyyy everyone,

I was just wondering what people, particularly males, do to emphasize those cheekbones and jawlines.

Grit your teeth?  suck in the cheeks?  or...?

Dec 29 05 08:26 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Joshua Stone wrote:
heyyy everyone,

I was just wondering what people, particularly males, do to emphasize those cheekbones and jawlines.

Grit your teeth?  suck in the cheeks?  or...?

could be something an mua can help with...shadow and contouring.

also finding the right angle to be shot at...something the photographer can look for and tell you about.

Dec 29 05 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I am one photographer who hates to see a model suck in her cheeks. It always reminds me of that old lady puppet on HollyWood Squares from when I was a kid. Unfortunately most of you aren`t old enough to know what I mean,lol.

Dec 29 05 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Genetics and a full set of teeth

Dec 29 05 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Correct lighting.

-Don

Dec 29 05 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Practice in front of the mirror paying special attention to the muscles you're using in your face.  Work on stretching out your neck, pulling in your throat, parting your teeth, etc.

Lighting and makeup play into it, but those aren't exactly under the control of a model, now are they?

Dec 29 05 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I am one photographer who hates to see a model suck in her cheeks. It always reminds me of that old lady puppet on HollyWood Squares from when I was a kid. Unfortunately most of you aren`t old enough to know what I mean,lol.

Ya mean Wayland Flowers and MADAM?? Yep, I'm old enough...LOL

Dec 29 05 11:14 pm Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

I have never sucked my cheeks in for a photo. They're sort of a trademark :-)

Dec 29 05 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Harrison Sweazea wrote:
Ya mean Wayland Flowers and MADAM?? Yep, I'm old enough...LOL

Yay! Someone ELSE remembers!!!

Dec 30 05 02:35 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

At the risk of offending you, I'm going to share a fat model technique...

Very plus size models who have double chins often employ a trick called the chicken neck, that I think might help you, too.  It's a two part motion.  First, keeping your neck more or less straight, push your entire head straight forward, like the hip hop girls do.  (It's an isolation movement.)  Then, tip just your chin down a smidge.

Big models do this because it hides/minimizes the double chin, but the reason it hides the double chin is that it emphasizes the jaw line.  You, not needing to hide a double chin, won't need to do it very much to get a pretty dramatic increase in jaw-age.

Hope that helps.  smile

Dec 30 05 03:00 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Shades of Zoolander!

Dec 30 05 05:18 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

learn to sense where the light is coming from and react. 

For example, get a floor lamp and a mirror.  Practice in front of your mirror what angle of your face, tilt of your neck, facial expression, etc.. works with the light.  Move the light around and practice again.  You'll start to realize certain light angles just don't work with certain face/head angles.  Find out what combination highlights your cheekbones the most, and get used to it.  Eventually, you will be able to adapt to any light angle and work your way around it to present yourself the best : )

wow, did I just sound like a reptile or something??? haha. no but really, it makes posing/modeling so much easier after a while.

Also, communication between a model and a photographer is key.  A good photographer is a good director.  Also if he/she shows you a lighting test polaroid or a test image on the digital camera, pay attention to how the light is hitting your face.  Adjust your position accordingly.... and yes, makeup definitely helps.  IF there are no MUAs present at a shoot, you might wanna consider practicing using a faint cheek/bronzer yourself just in case.

Dec 30 05 05:22 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Merlinpix wrote:
Shades of Zoolander!

blue steelllllllll

Dec 30 05 11:54 am Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Shyly wrote:

Very plus size models who have double chins often employ a trick called the chicken neck, that I think might help you, too.  It's a two part motion.  First, keeping your neck more or less straight, push your entire head straight forward, like the hip hop girls do.  (It's an isolation movement.)  Then, tip just your chin down a smidge.

Big models do this because it hides/minimizes the double chin, but the reason it hides the double chin is that it emphasizes the jaw line.  You, not needing to hide a double chin, won't need to do it very much to get a pretty dramatic increase in jaw-age.

Hope that helps.  smile

Good advice Shyly!  One of the only posts that acutally answers his question.

Dec 30 05 11:59 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Suck in your cheeks, of course!!!! LOL.

Dec 30 05 11:59 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Shyly wrote:

Hope that helps.  smile

YOu know entirely too much....you must be stopped woman.

Dec 30 05 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Angel Tara wrote:
could be something an mua can help with...shadow and contouring.

also finding the right angle to be shot at...something the photographer can look for and tell you about.

This advice from a model who has some of the finest cheekbones and jawlines in the industry!  More than MUA proficiency in her portfolio.  But it IS good advice.

Dec 30 05 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

JasonE

Durham, California, US

To emphasize your jawline you could suck your neck in.  Its kind of hard to explain but easier to demonstrate.

Dec 30 05 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

JasonE wrote:
To emphasize your jawline you could suck your neck in.  Its kind of hard to explain but easier to demonstrate.

left cheek green,neck blue, chin red!
lets see if someone is awake,lol

Dec 30 05 05:04 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Definitely find a makeup artist who knows how to conture.

Models who suck their cheeks in usually look odd.  Silly, or even worse in some cases, rounder in the face (how that works, I do not know).

Dec 30 05 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

https://www.gentheoryrubbish.com/archives/images/steel%20blue.jpg

Dec 30 05 06:52 pm Link

Model

Tati

Los Angeles, California, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
Genetics and a full set of teeth

yet another reason to hate my orthodontist!!!! now i know the real reason why i had striking cheekbones when i was 11 and not anymore.
omg i think im going to cry. If only i had known. I would have pushed harder to keep my four teeth

Jan 01 06 06:33 pm Link

Model

Brooke S

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

That MADAM puppet was so scary to me as a kid and for some reason she reminds me of the red-nosed lady puppet on Mr.Rogers..LOL.. Now what was her name? She was REALLY creepy...

Jan 01 06 07:37 pm Link

Model

Kyle VDZD

Newport Beach, California, US

Instead of sucking in my cheaks I try to use face wash right before the shoot to avoid the "puffy cheaks" look

Jan 01 06 07:41 pm Link