Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Whats the point?

Model

Mz Nova

Portland, Oregon, US

Today I got an email from a photographer that said I "was not sexy enough" in his pictures....It was hard to be though because there was not anyfeeling of comfort with him, and he obviously looked down on me for not being the typical, perfect model type girl.  I am wondering now, what the hell is the point of all this? What am I  (are we) doing this for? I enjoy being infront of the camera, but he made it so unenjoyable.  I have had little success, either I am too exotic, too gullible, too small, too young, not young enough, too modest, too sharp, too too too. Where are the people who do this for love of art and not love of making something sexy? Is that the only criteria for modeling is always being sexy and having no boundries? Is sexy only saying, "Hey look I can be naked!" or "Hey look, I got boobs!" There is more to it, but, sheesh, why can't i get in contact with those folks? I have one photographer who I work well with..but..still...TFP is not going to feed me through college. Why did I become obsessed with modeling rather than being obsessed with something that makes me feel good? oy vey. a few days worth of "I am sexy" is not worth many days of, "damn, hes a freakin' dick!"

May 31 05 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

well more a reflection of his own skills and professionalism then anything else..if i couldn't make an attractive 20yo female feel comfortable and look sexy..i'd hang up my camera..

May 31 05 07:02 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Next time someone tells you you aren't sexy enough, walk up to them, smack them across the cheek and say, "is that sexy enough for you?" lol

Seriously though, modelling is not an instant money business. If you think you are going to pay for school etc. by modelling think: "naked" or "swimsuit calendar". If you want to be an art model, you are still going to have to think 'naked' (in my experience...) tho you don't have to. Regardless, unless you are a fashion model, you will not get paid tons of money to wear lots of clothing. It is just a fact. However, you have some very valuable assets in the long run...think young, great look, funny...you can go very far with funny, no? and smart. modelling is marketing, and can very easily become a full time job if you let it. You could go to an agency if you want someone else to manage you...many posts about that here.

Basically, one photographer means nothing. They don't like you, why are they even bothering to e-mail you insulting you?
Just remember, photographers are all subs underneath it all, so you just need to make them pay attention and do it your way...(seriously, don't do that...*lapis covers head to protect herself from flying arrows*)
Find photographers you are compatible with, and if you aren't compatible with them, don't shoot again.

May 31 05 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by NovaG: 
Today I got an email from a photographer that said I "was not sexy enough" in his pictures....It was hard to be though because there was not anyfeeling of comfort with him, and he obviously looked down on me for not being the typical, perfect model type girl.  I am wondering now, what the hell is the point of all this? What am I  (are we) doing this for? I enjoy being infront of the camera, but he made it so unenjoyable.  I have had little success, either I am too exotic, too gullible, too small, too young, not young enough, too modest, too sharp, too too too. Where are the people who do this for love of art and not love of making something sexy? Is that the only criteria for modeling is always being sexy and having no boundries? Is sexy only saying, "Hey look I can be naked!" or "Hey look, I got boobs!" There is more to it, but, sheesh, why can't i get in contact with those folks? I have one photographer who I work well with..but..still...TFP is not going to feed me through college. Why did I become obsessed with modeling rather than being obsessed with something that makes me feel good? oy vey. a few days worth of "I am sexy" is not worth many days of, "damn, hes a freakin' dick!"

Welcome to the real world!!
Its hard to be #1
You are #1 dont let Dick take you down!!

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
well more a reflection of his own skills and professionalism then anything else..if i couldn't make an attractive 20yo female feel comfortable and look sexy..i'd hang up my camera..

Thats my Bag!!

(:----

May 31 05 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

kevin stewart

Salo, Southwest Finland, Finland

You are mis-casting yourself and perhaps doing yourself a mis-service by thinking of yourself as a model. Oftentimes I want novice models who come to me to first embrace the idea of discovering just what they want to be by modeling for the lens. Use your interest in modeling as a tool in your own self-discovery. Then add acting to your pursuits.

I have a book on the use of mirrors by female characters in literature. In it, the author claims that the female character in western literature uses mirrors differently than male characters. They mistake the reflection for the self. I think there is something to this in photography today (especially on-line). What you have seen and mimic as modeling may not fit your look. Your language in the initial post reveals some sort of doubt as to your self-esteem that probably is finding its way into your "modeling".

When I look at you, I see a wonderfully mis-cast character with girlish qualities with whom I would use in more period themes (1950's mom ) (1600 aristocracy) (1940's Norman Rockwell scenes) rather than those in see in your profile. The photographer was right to be direct and critical but he should have known you would not fit anyway. One thing that is evident in your text is you dont seem to lend yourself to allowing them to dictate looks to allow them space to experiment while shooting you.

When you return from Italy, use some of your earnings on photographers who need you more than you need money.

May 31 05 09:17 pm Link

Model

Mz Nova

Portland, Oregon, US

Mmmm....I put too much focus on money in my post, eh? Theres more to it than that.  I have had alot of fun in front of the camera before, but then there have been people who make it no fun at all...i loose myself to their needs.  I agree that I am miscast.  I do not fit in now, but i no way would i have fit in back in the day either. 

I did just send him an email that was honest.  I told him he did not make me feel sexy during the shoot...he was standoffish and kept making disaggreable faces. I felt like I was not making him happy, so I didn't light up.

I am not expecting to be number one. I never will.  But I felt like I had something to offer, but it seems like nobody wants any of it.  Its been two years I think and have just now started getting some attention.  Meh.  little by little, I will find who I am.

Jun 02 05 07:26 pm Link