Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > PC users may want to take a look at this...

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

There is a new exploit out that uses WMF (windows metafile format) files to infect a computer. All you have to do to get infected is view a webpage that has the image on it, or access an infected image that is on your computer. That means the forums can be a vector for infection too....

You can read more about it here : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth … id=1759903
and
http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securit … t_for.html

I don't know that this has been posted and I apologize if it has. It appears not to be a hoax.

Jan 01 06 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

How do we know this was not just an evil plan to get us to read this thread and then become infected by your evil plan to take over the world?

Jan 01 06 10:31 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

haha .. ..perhaps?

Jan 01 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

why macs are better:

http://www.flurl.com/uploaded/dave_chap … _3537.html

what is a flip flap and flabia?!?

Jan 02 06 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

does norton anti virus protect against this latest virus???

Jan 05 06 10:18 am Link

Model

nish 24

Dallas, Texas, US

ah, Linux is yet again my friend. If I HAVE to use windows I just run it in VMware all safe and cozy locked in a little virtual machine...

Jan 05 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

bumpsup to ask again...will norton take care of this nasty thing???...i downloaded a third party patch until bill and his wonder twits come up with a solution.

Jan 05 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Marksora wrote:
How do we know this was not just an evil plan to get us to read this thread and then become infected by your evil plan to take over the world?

Simply because *I'm* taking over the world! Muahahahaaaaaa!

Laugh while you can Monkey Boy!

Jan 05 06 03:18 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

He called you a Monkey Boy, Marksora!

Jan 05 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

It's real, no AV protects against it, and MS has yet to issue a patch.

More info:

http://techdirt.com/articles/20060103/1645230_F.shtml

Jan 05 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Lance Nichols

Markham, Ontario, Canada

MS has just issued a patch for it, pressured ito it in fact.

You should be able to get the update from Windows Update nowish.

Jan 05 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Yea its real and as of yet MS has not issues a patch although they will at some point. Wait until MS puts a patch out, if you download a third party patch it will have to be removed before the MS patch can be used. Supposidly MS is scheduled to release a patch next week but its MS so time will tell.

EDIT:  Actualy it is posted on the site as of today, here is the link for the fix.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/securit … 1_WMF.mspx

Jan 05 06 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

BCG  be sure to uninstall the third party patch before getting and installing this patch from mocrosoft.

Jan 05 06 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Peter Dattolo wrote:
BCG  be sure to uninstall the third party patch before getting and installing this patch from mocrosoft.

thank you!!!

Jan 05 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Done and done. I feel so much safer now. I'm totally sure Microsquish has finally eliminated all the security flaws in Windoze.

If only Linux would run the apps I use...

Jan 05 06 10:13 pm Link

Model

nish 24

Dallas, Texas, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
Done and done. I feel so much safer now. I'm totally sure Microsquish has finally eliminated all the security flaws in Windoze.

If only Linux would run the apps I use...

Have you tried the windows emulator Wine for Linux, it run a lot of apps pretty well.

Jan 05 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

nish 24 wrote:

Have you tried the windows emulator Wine for Linux, it run a lot of apps pretty well.

I did but it was a while ago and I couldn't get it to work. I'm not a computer geek by any means... strictly and end-user. So, I gave up and went back to Windoze. I also don't like running things through an emulator; there's always a ton of overhead that sloooooows things down. And to be perfectly honest, I've never had any real problems with Windoze (Win XP Home Edition). But the constant march of security holes really does bother me...

Jan 05 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

there are viruses for macs too. i spoke to a guy in high school that wrote a few for fun, and tested them. it's not that hard.

Jan 06 06 12:14 am Link