Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > The Wal-Mart Model (economics)

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:

Good point David...of course the problem is most US manufaturing jobs have already gone the way of the dodo. So where do we go to buy inexpensive U.S. made goods? The U.S. still has luxury goods and so forth, but many household items...fogettaboutit!

Ya, cuz the American people didn't want to buy stuff that cost money to make here due to the wages people require due to the cost of living here (takes breath). People are their own worst enemy. They want to make a good living, but pay nothing for products and services which effect other people's living, and eventually their own. You're right, allot of that stuff went elsewhere. It's probably too late.

Jan 04 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Seth Rutledge

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

The scary thing that's gone elsewhere is IT jobs.

It's almost impossible to get a no-experience IT job in the United States these days, everyone wants 5+ years of experience...which is "fine" right now because of all the programmers from the Internet Years...but as college students graduate and can't find jobs, we will lose people from those majors...and when all the 5+ year people start getting promoted or costing too much, there won't be any backfill behind them in this country...so off all those remaining jobs go to India!

Jan 05 06 06:15 am Link

Model

nish 24

Dallas, Texas, US

I feel ya on the IT front. I'm barely out of college and desperately clinging to a introductory programming job that pays jack and shit, they've already shipped out QA to India.

Jan 05 06 06:26 am Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Awwww...I wanted this to be about economic issues surrounding people who model clothes sold at Wal-Mart.

This is Model Mayhem, right?

.....and the reason it was posted in "Off-Topic" because it goes Off the photography/model Topic.

Jan 05 06 06:34 am Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

area291 wrote:

Whether the figures quoted as true or not is inconsequential.  If America is proud to stand behing a model based on WalMart then it's high time we took a good strong look into the mirror of truth to reflect on what that means.

WalMart is a retail whore that brazenly forges ahead by cutting price to eliminate competition.  WalMart sells shoddy products and has lost all concept of quality.  WalMart has continuously been sited as a terrible steward toward its employees.

If this is the model America chooses to live by and accept then we should all applaud today's glee with no outlook toward what tomorrow will bring.  The arms that are busy patting themselves on the back with this great fortune news cannot reach down to grab the bootstraps needed to really pull this country out of the mess we're in. 

Until those at the helm can do that, we will continue to lose more sectors of manufacturing and we'll continue being faced with poor quality of workmanship by having to live by the mantra of "buying on price alone" because that is all we can afford.

Thank you stewards of our nation.  I love how you are building our future with the notion, "It's a WalMart World, afterall."

WalMart sells shoddy products and has lost all concept of quality. IF Walmart sells shoddy products then so does Target, K-mart and all the other national retailers as Walmart sells the same brands as all the rest.  Perhaps you've never been in a Walmart.

Jan 05 06 06:40 am Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Joe Kozlowski wrote:

I did a little research on Michael Barone as you suggested, Ben. The first thing I found was "Michael Barone regularly appears on Fox News Channel" ... a network specifically known for cooking the books! ... established with the expressed pourpose of promoting a specific point of view ... regardless of the facts.

a network specifically known for cooking the books! ... established with the expressed pourpose of promoting a specific point of view ... regardless of the facts.
That's the truth about very network, ESPECIALLY CNN (Clinton News Network).  None of them are about telling the truth, just their own shoddy version of it.

Jan 05 06 06:42 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:
What I don't get is how somebody who isn't making enough to save some is still saying "Rah rah rah" isn't everything rosy!

I am a full time college student working part time.  I have saved before (how I paid for college) and I will save again. 

You see, I was raised to know that saving is not an option.  Just like feeding your children is not an option.  There where times when I did not save much but I still, always, put some back.  It should be a habit.

Jan 05 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

David Moyle wrote:

Let's just say you have a point here, couldn't one argue that, by shopping at WalMart for junk made in China rather than buying better items from local, smaller stores, people are bringing it on themselves because it put's the smaller people out of business or makes them pay less to stay competitive, causing a vicious circle of cheaper crap being bought and lower wages being paid?

Everyone wants "the best" for "dirt cheap", you can't support that ideal forever.

You can't say that David.  Liberals don't believe in personal responsibility.  That would mean Star herself would have some copability.

Jan 05 06 08:50 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Star wrote:

Apparently you live in a world where no one thing can ever affect another. I guess you are unable to follow logical thoughts. That is fine. So for the preschoolers:

wages go down-can not keep up with inflation-people unable to save for future- US economy sucks!

And your pension for gross over-simplificaton gives your real motives away.

So by your own logic...Star...All the upside economic indicators listed earlier can effect low wages?  If inflation can effect wages, can full employment? (full employment was a term used by the Clinton Admin to suggest that 95% employment, where we are now, is actually everyone who wants a job) 

Here is another little tid bit for you.  The more folks you have employed, the slower wages increase.  That is unless other factors intervene...like oh say...a tech bubble. 

Supply and Demand! 

I know liberals think the "laws of economics" are conservative propaganda...but the rest of the world subscribes to them.  Perhaps it is about time the liberals (and Star) do too.

Jan 05 06 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

bencook2 wrote:

You can't say that David.  Liberals don't believe in personal responsibility.  That would mean Star herself would have some copability.

You are truly a cretin.

Jan 05 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

bencook2 wrote:

And your pension for gross over-simplificaton gives your real motives away.

So by your own logic...Star...All the upside economic indicators listed earlier can effect low wages?  If inflation can effect wages, can full employment? (full employment was a term used by the Clinton Admin to suggest that 95% employment, where we are now, is actually everyone who wants a job) 

Here is another little tid bit for you.  The more folks you have employed, the slower wages increase.  That is unless other factors intervene...like oh say...a tech bubble. 

Supply and Demand! 

I know liberals think the "laws of economics" are conservative propaganda...but the rest of the world subscribes to them.  Perhaps it is about time the liberals (and Star) do too.

Maybe you need to be a double time college student instead of full time so you can learn the difference between "pension" (something the corporate thugs you worship will steal from you) and "penchant" (as in Ben has a penchant for bullshit)

BTW, among the other bullshit you reported on, King George's unemployment stats are amongst his long list of henious lies, he changes the rules so that he simply stops counting people as unemployed once they've  been unemployed for "too long" at that point I guess they just don't exist since they no longer get figured in to his figurin'. What a fantastic "compasionate conservative" solution to unemployment! We'll just stop counting them! Just like his theory on poverty, "Hey, well shucks, let's just change the standards of what we'll call poverty instead of changing the standards of living! Gee, look, he's lowered poverty too! Just like mama Bush said about the refugees in the Astrodome, "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (she chuckled)–this is working very well for them.â€?

Jan 05 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Aaron_H wrote:

You are truly a cretin.

Name calling?  Good for you.  It keeps me from having to respond to what you wrote in the other post.

Jan 05 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Aaron_H wrote:
BTW, among the other bullshit you reported on, King George's unemployment stats are amongst his long list of henious lies, he changes the rules so that he simply stops counting people as unemployed once they've  been unemployed for "too long" at that point I guess they just don't exist since they no longer get figured in to his figurin'. What a fantastic "compasionate conservative" solution to unemployment! We'll just stop counting them! Just like his theory on poverty, "Hey, well shucks, let's just change the standards of what we'll call poverty instead of changing the standards of living! Gee, look, he's lowered poverty too! Just like mama Bush said about the refugees in the Astrodome, "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (she chuckled)–this is working very well for them.â€?

Really? Ever read a book called "bias"? it was written by a self-proclaimed liberal media member and talks about how the media falsely inflates the unemployment rates when a Republican is in office and how they falsely deflate it when a Democrat is.

Jan 05 06 05:57 pm Link