Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Hopefully...Heads will roll !!!!

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

What's your take on the Abramoff scandal? (that has finally broken after I've been hearing about it for at least 6 months).

Me...I think that if a bank robber returned the money to the bank (or a charity), he would still be fully prosecuted.

I can't wait to see the names that are named, hopefully they will all get more than a slap on the wrist.

Apparently he's worked his magic in Califronia issues as well! (mostly through Republicans)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 01478.html

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn … 550007.htm

Let the games begin!

Jan 04 06 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:
What's your take on the Abramoff scandal? (that has finally broken after I've been hearing about it for at least 6 months).

Me...I think that if a bank robber returned the money to the bank (or a charity), he would still be fully prosecuted.

I can't wait to see the names that are named, hopefully they will all get more than a slap on the wrist.

Apparently he's worked his magic in Califronia issues as well! (mostly through Republicans)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 01478.html

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn … 550007.htm

Let the games begin!

Oh its going to get real ugly.  I imagine the repubs are going to take quite a hit.  We need to make an example of this guy and I don't care who it takes going to jail over it...including GWB.(though, I doubt very seriously he has had much to do with the guy...presidents usually stay pretty isolated from the money)

PS...I am glad to see you wrote "mostly through republicans" because my understanding of the story from NPR is that there could be some Dems with egg on their face as well.

Jan 04 06 10:47 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Ok...Ben and I agreeing twice in one day...getting kinda scary now.

Jan 04 06 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Depending on which paper you read anyplace from 6 to 60 Senators, Congressmen and staffers could be implicated and the list will be bipartisan, Early articles mentioned several prominent Democrates as well as Republicans, including Harry Reed.
Before anyone gets too excited about the guilty giving back money lets remember  Al Gore giving back money to the Buddist nuns and monks and that Clinton gave back record sums pf tainted $$
personally I blame the complicated campaign finance rules which force people to use inventive  means of getting the $$ where they wanted.
What he has been acused of is defrauding his clients (indian tribes) and defrauding his own law firm. He has pleaded guilty to conspiracy to bribe congress men and the charges which grow from this will not be easy to prove in court ( that he gave money will be easy to prove that it was a bribe may not be provable), but very easy in the press.
Unfortunately this will be a complex case andwhen most people try to understand complex cases (unlike the house Post office and bank scandals) their head hurts!
This should prove interesting

Jan 04 06 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Robert Helm wrote:
Depending on which paper you read anyplace from 6 to 60 Senators, Congressmen and staffers could be implicated and the list will be bipartisan, Early articles mentioned several prominent Democrates as well as Republicans, including Harry Reed.
Before anyone gets too excited about the guilty giving back money lets remember  Al Gore giving back money to the Buddist nuns and monks and that Clinton gave back record sums pf tainted $$
personally I blame the complicated campaign finance rules which force people to use inventive  means of getting the $$ where they wanted.
What he has been acused of is defrauding his clients (indian tribes) and defrauding his own law firm. He has pleaded guilty to conspiracy to bribe congress men and the charges which grow from this will not be easy to prove in court ( that he gave money will be easy to prove that it was a bribe may not be provable), but very easy in the press.
Unfortunately this will be a complex case andwhen most people try to understand complex cases (unlike the house Post office and bank scandals) their head hurts!
This should prove interesting

You have a great point.  It will be hard to understand.  So people will retreat to what they do best...accuse the other party.  This is a non partisan issue.  He did work with more Repubs than Dems...but the money in washington does not care what party you affiliate with.  Creation of the 527's has just made what Jack did legal.  Now you can spend all you want if you are not "affiliated" with a candidate and the money can come from just about anywhere.

Jan 04 06 11:07 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Actually, he worked primarily with the Republicans and is INTIMATELY associated with DeLay. He is part of the lobbyist organzing that made DeLay sucha  powerhouse in the last few years. Sure some crooked Dems will be in there too, but the DeLay connection is STRONG.

Jan 04 06 11:18 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Oh and the money isn't the issue so much as the politicians delivering RESULTS that will be the issue. And it would normally be hard to prove...but if Abramoff SINGs and kept his emails....I think heads will roll.

Jan 04 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

He gave 2.8 million to republicans and 1.5 million to democrats.

Jan 04 06 11:28 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

So almost 2 for 1, but plenty of shame and dirt to go around.

Jan 04 06 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

Makes sense because the republicans have all the power right now. However it isn't illegal to give money so how much of it was above board and how much can they prove was used to buy votes.

Jan 04 06 11:47 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

I think we will see there is quite a bit of evidence...again I've been hearing about some of this for months. I think the amount of scrambling going on in D.C. all of a sudden is telling as well. They were all quiet until Abramoff said he would sing and then WOW what fireworks!

Jan 04 06 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Sadly, I fear that some people will be ashamed in public, some will go to jail for a while and in the end, nothing will change. This money game has replaced democracy in Washington and in the state houses.

Jan 05 06 05:29 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

I fear you're right. It will all blow over unless we can tell them something with our vote!
Personally, I see no use for lobbyists and think no coorporation or organization (religions et al) should contribute to legislator's coffers. If they can't run on what people give, then who wants them holding the purse strings in DC?

Jan 05 06 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Terry Breedlove wrote:
Makes sense because the republicans have all the power right now. However it isn't illegal to give money so how much of it was above board and how much can they prove was used to buy votes.

Tip Oniell used to say an honest politician is one who once he benn bought stays bought

Jan 05 06 11:32 am Link