Forums > Photography Talk > Lighting in indoor rm w/ tungsten & fluorescents

Photographer

Elliot

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

ALoha all!

Just had a question about what to do for best white balance on a Canon 20d when shooting indoors in a room that is lit w/ a mix of tungsten and fluorescent lights. I was using a 420EX flash and ended up w/ alot of yellowish hued pictures w/ the camera on AWB settings. I did try to use the tungsten and fluorescent settings but it didnt solve the problem. I ended up editing the pics in PS and cleaning up alot w/ auto-leveling etc.

anyone else have suggestions? Kinda hard to custom WB bc I cant shoot at both lights either hmm

Mahalo,
Elliot

Jan 06 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

One thing you can do is try the Expodisc. Some people also put a bleached white coffee filter over the front of their lens & shoot...

Just stand in the middle of the room & fure off a shot w/ the filter on the lens. Do the shot exactlt how you'd do it when shooting. (use flash, & let the exposure do it's thing) Then select CWB & choose that image. It will be the best that you can do in the setting...

Shoot CR2 & if you need to tweak, you can...

Paul

Jan 06 06 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Chip Willis

Columbus, Georgia, US

Mixed Tungsten, strobe and fluro are going to cause you to make a choice. You can correct out one of the lights, but the other two will still be off.... so when setting up your shots, you need to decide to either shoot for the strobe, and live with the yellow and green of fluros, or shoot for the tungsten, and let the strobe go blue and the fluros go green, or shoot for the fluros and deal with the others......

So, to lessen the equation, if the ambient light is up enough, or the light from tungsten, use it instead of flash as main, and then the fluros will go greenish and live/use that to your advantage.

Or, turn the strobe up where its way above ambient apertures, and shoot faster shutter speed to keep the others at bay...

Myriads of possibilities.

Jan 06 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Elliot

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Thanks for the reply ... the more i learn, it seems that the more questions pop up!
Mahalo,
E

Jan 06 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Photography by Elliot wrote:
anyone else have suggestions? Kinda hard to custom WB bc I cant shoot at both lights either hmm

As noted here and elsewhere (softbox vs white balance thread), when you have lighting of different colors, you're going to have more work to correct.

A partial solution is to keep a few color correction gels around for your flash. That way, if you're ln a tungsten-lit environment, you can add an orange (straw or CTO) gel on the flash to make the two lights the same, then set your WB to tungsten.

Or a fluoro gel (greenish) for when you're there, and set the WB to that. (This is trickier, as each type of fluoro tube is different, but it will at least get you closer).

Gels large enough for an on-camera flash are either free  or a dollar or two for a sample books
with 100+ colors.

In this case, you'd still have to balance two color, but that's still easier than dealing with 3.

Jan 07 06 12:16 am Link