Forums > Photography Talk > scratched negs

Photographer

raindog

Dallas, Texas, US

Anyone know a good way to clean negs with dust dried to them? Also have on enegative with a long but very thin scratch on it. Not a great shot but it could have easily been one I wanted to print. So does anyone know if the scratch removing chemicals out there do any real good or is a scratched neg just lost?

Jan 07 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Lighter fluid.  Use your fingers to squeegie.  If you have to, you can put it back in the tank and re-wash and use either Photo-Flo or distilled water for the final wash.  A sponge squeegie helps, but it's gotta be clean and wet to start.

The scratch isn't gonna go away.  Either fix it with one of the software fixes, do it by hand in PS, or spot it on the prints.  I hate it when this happens.

-Don

Jan 07 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Scan it w/ a film scanner w/ Digital Ice4...

Paul

Jan 07 06 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

If it's a relatively mild scratch you can use the oil from your nose. I know that sounds silly, but I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned it yet since it's such a well know remedy. Just rub a finger right down the side of your nose and then rub it over the scratch IN THE DIRECTION OF the scratch. It doesn't cure everything but it does do wonders.

And for the dust just re-wash with photoflo.

Jan 07 06 01:42 am Link

Photographer

raindog

Dallas, Texas, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
I hate it when this happens.

-Don

Me too. Most of the stuff was no issue, but the scratch is actually the least of my worries. I just need to the dust off. Using a friend darkroom and it wasn't as clean as I would have thought.

Jan 07 06 01:49 am Link

Photographer

DaveL

Springfield, Ohio, US

Lucky Bastard wrote:
If it's a relatively mild scratch you can use the oil from your nose. I know that sounds silly, but I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned it yet since it's such a well know remedy. Just rub a finger right down the side of your nose and then rub it over the scratch IN THE DIRECTION OF the scratch. It doesn't cure everything but it does do wonders.

And for the dust just re-wash with photoflo.

No matter what you are thinking about this suggestion, it really does work.  It works much better than the paint on no scratch stuff that I tried years ago.

Jan 07 06 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Kiran Patil

Newark, Delaware, US

DaveL wrote:

No matter what you are thinking about this suggestion, it really does work.  It works much better than the paint on no scratch stuff that I tried years ago.

I will third this. Works great. Make sure it's natural oils, though. You shouldn't have put on any sort of moisturizer or make-up. If you do, make sure to wash your face and do it later in the day once the oil has built up again.

Jan 07 06 08:21 am Link