Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Help- How do you apply makeup to look Goth?

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

I am attending a party- Have the clothes- Have had makeup artists make me look goth- But not sure how to do it on my own.......All help appreciated ASAP as the party is tomorrow

Thanks
Staci

Jun 03 05 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

AG Photo

Easton, Pennsylvania, US

Bump for you...and will write you and suggest you contact a MUA directly.

Jun 03 05 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

you need base that is at least two shades lighter than you are, liquid eye liner, fake eye lashes, no rouge, red red lips, dark eye shadow and shadow just a bit under your eyes, spike your hair,

Star

Jun 04 05 08:37 am Link

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

Thank You Star.......

Jun 04 05 09:40 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Ignore Stars advice. Using base that is lighter than your skin byu two shades won't make you look "goth." It will make you look like a clown.

There are a lot of variations on the goth make-up look, but most of the revolve around heavy dark eye-make-up I suggest googling pictures of Siouxsie Sioux, Patricia Morrison or other goth bands.

Jun 04 05 03:58 pm Link

Model

Sarah Marie Hilker

Posted by theda: 
Ignore Stars advice. Using base that is lighter than your skin byu two shades won't make you look "goth." It will make you look like a clown.

There are a lot of variations on the goth make-up look, but most of the revolve around heavy dark eye-make-up I suggest googling pictures of Siouxsie Sioux, Patricia Morrison or other goth bands.

Thank you, theda.  Anyone who wears their make-like that belongs at a carnival or in a street show.  I agree with your advice. 

Jun 04 05 05:02 pm Link

Model

Aurora Bellare

Newport News, Virginia, US

Let's not forget the Goths who wear whiteface smile

In my opinion, black lipstick goes way too far on some, and on others it looks great. 

Jun 04 05 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Posted by theda: 

Theda, I have to disagree with you. This model who needs to look Goth has a darker skin tone then is normal on goth. Goths are pale, even ethnic goths seem to be pale, I don't know why. I know the term gothic comes from Victorian romance novels where the heroines were regularly whey faced.

As someone who works as goth in the background industry on a reglar bases I think I may actually know what I am doing. Now, you have to know how to apply the base down from your chin a bit. Two shades lighter is actually not that much of a differance, look at your make-up bottles from respected make-up companies and you will see it is a very small differance. Of course, since I have a permentant sunburn thanks to my skin condition I have to apply a green base and than a lighter base to my skin tone and I will guarentee to you I don't look like a clown.
In additon to working as a goth, with goths, with gothic extra agencies, and hanging with a 40% goth ratio of friends, I also live near the glasshouse, a punk/goth concert venue and see goths lined up outside my window every friday and sat night.

I also want to call your attention to the fact that  I did not suggest that she wear rouge, rouge can in many ways make a lighter base appear to be pancakey, or highlight what is wrong with the skin tone. I am not suggesting magenta from Rocky Horror but I think if you look up people like wicked talent mm#7667   you will see I am dead on in my suggestions.

I admit there are many types of gothic, standard, punk, fetish, dom./sub, druggie, underage, victorian etc... As this girl has not tried gothic before I gave her the simplist directions I could to a standard goth look.

I am not the biggest fan of this image of mine, but the model is wearing base at least two shades lighter if not more, by dulling out her cheekbones the MUA was able to make her look cooler. Unfortunately the look wasn't exactly what I had in mind and I think she looks rather corpselike, not gothic but pale. The biggest mistake people make with a lighter base is the application of a bright rouge I made the directions simple and plain, and I stand by them

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … 815568d9bf

--------
edit, just to make sure I just called one of the prettiest gothic girls I know, and she uses a base several shades lighter than her natural skin tone to achieve her look.

Jun 04 05 06:32 pm Link

Model

Sarah Marie Hilker

Okay, maybe a shade or two lighter works.  At first, I thought you meant apply white foundation.  I was multitasking and probably skipped over part of the sentence.  Yeah, a slightly lighter color will give your face a little difference. 

I do disagree that all goths are pale.  I know many people in the subculture that are of different ethnicities and have dark skin.  It's beautiful to me either way.  I do not go lighter than my skin tone.  I used to be a very tan person, but years of staying indoors changed that. 

Either way, I hope she gets some great pics and sends them our way.

Jun 04 05 06:54 pm Link