Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Idiot spammers!

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Do they really think that we'll take their e-mails seriously with subjects like "Newfoundlanddog interlocutor"?

Or random paragraphs like:

"Then I will ride with you blythely, for, to say the truth, I do not know
the rendezvous that Craigie was to guide us to this night; and I am sure
that, if he is taken, he will tell all the truth of me, and twenty lies of
you, in order to save himself from the withie."

dnaleri  forwearied  doleap sz01 counter-sealed  deleware
His wounds kept him abed some days. Then he got up and climbed that
mountain again. That is the way with a true Alp-climber; the more fun he
has, the more he wants.

One time, to get back at one, I went to their site and found a message input form. I pasted their paragraph of gibberish hundreds and hundreds of time over. Perhaps this could be a good revenge technique?

Jan 10 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

rp_photo wrote:
Do they really think that we'll take their e-mails seriously with subjects like "Newfoundlanddog interlocutor"?

What they are trying to do is manipulate the word-frequency statistics of their Emails to try to bypass statistical (bayesian) spam filters. What's funny about that, as you point out, is that it makes all their "important messages" completely
incoherent.

It's an interesting/weird fallacy of marketing that marketing has impact no matter HOW the message gets through. So marketers believe that if you see their credit card offer it's going to sell you - even if they have to hide it in a fake FEDEX-looking envelope and play other tricks so you won't immediately throw it away. They completely do not count how unlikely you are to buy something from someone once they have ANNOYED you.

I've got a couple of friends who are seriously into the anti-spam thing (they build anti-spam products) and they've spent a lot of time interacting with spammers. They say that the spammers are "genuinely puzzled" by the fact that so many people despise them; they feel they're "just trying to make a living" and so on. I find that amazing because if I worked in a field where so many people were actively trying to make me go away - I would.

mjr.

Jan 10 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
So marketers believe that if you see their credit card offer it's going to sell you - even if they have to hide it in a fake FEDEX-looking envelope and play other tricks so you won't immediately throw it away.

There is an opposite to this as well. Rebate checks are often disguised as junk mail in the hopes that you WILL throw them away!

Spammers operate on a numbers game in that only a small percentage of responses are needed to make a profit. If you really want to find someone to blame for spam, look to the idiots that buy things from them!

Jan 10 06 10:02 am Link