Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > my grandfather died

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

But, I don't need condolences, i need advice. My whole family is flying to russia to be at the funeral and be with my grandmother. I am the only one who can't go because if i set foot in the country i will be doing 2 years in the military. Am I selfish for not going? I mean it's not like it would be cheap, i would be maxing out my credit card and kissing good bye the paycheck i am about to get, but i could potentially buy the ticket. My father, sister, uncle are all going. only me and my cousins (who are too young to deal with mortality right now) are not going. I want to be there but if i go i will be in the military as soon as i try to leave the country, which would probably be a week later, to get back to class and work. would you go, or would you wait here and wait for them to come back and tell everything, then go when there is no threat of military if you were me.

Jan 11 06 11:49 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Your post makes no sense....are you a russian native? Are you an illiegal alien here?
Russia just can't swipe up american tourists and force them into the military.....DETAILS people...is that too much to ask?

Jan 11 06 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Do you feel that Russia is worth serving 2 years for?

Jan 11 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Nemi wrote:
Your post makes no sense....are you a russian native? Are you an illiegal alien here?
Russia just can't swipe up american tourists and force them into the military.....DETAILS people...is that too much to ask?

yeah, i was born in russia, and now have dual citizenship. i have not been to russia since i was 14, because they would have held me back, and 2 years military service is mandatory there. if i go, they will lock me down and make me go into the military. legally i'd have to.

Jan 12 06 12:00 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Something doesn't sound right about that, but if that is true, you have your answer right in front of your face, you can't go.

Jan 12 06 12:05 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

How much do you consider your self Russian?

If that is what the country has decided and you consider yourself 51% russian it is your duty.

BUT, as a citizen of the US, you are not obligated to serve. 

So, do consider your self to be more american or more russian?

Jan 12 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Nemi wrote:
Something doesn't sound right about that, but if that is true, you have your answer right in front of your face, you can't go.

But if i go, I will have the chance to see my grandfather one last time before the funeral.

And all is right. Russia legally mandates military service of all males under a certain age ( i believe 27 is the oldest you can start). so if i go, as soon as i try to leave, I will be brought to a nearby outpost for a physical.

Jan 12 06 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

bencook2 wrote:
How much do you consider your self Russian?

If that is what the country has decided and you consider yourself 51% russian it is your duty.

BUT, as a citizen of the US, you are not obligated to serve. 

So, do consider your self to be more american or more russian?

That's the thing, I am 50-50 in my mind. I was raised there, grew up here. I have friends in both countries, in the US I identify myself as a russian to my friends, in Russia I am identified by others as an american.

Jan 12 06 12:22 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

And your girlfriend that you adore so much, I don't think she will hang around for two years while you are in the russian army....

Jan 12 06 12:24 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Alexei Fomin wrote:

That's the thing, I am 50-50 in my mind. I was raised there, grew up here. I have friends in both countries, in the US I identify myself as a russian to my friends, in Russia I am identified by others as an american.

I, today, was accepted into graduate school in Ireland.  I want VERY much to visit Russia while I am on that side of the "pond".  I think a US/Russia relationship is paramount to many of the things going on in this world.

Can you contribute to a level of "understanding"?  Can you further the continuing cause of Peace between the two countries?

Perhaps your calling is higher than you consider?

Good luck.  I honestly wish you well and fully support either difficult decision you make!!!!!

Jan 12 06 12:30 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't mandatory military service been a part of Russian life for quite some time?  If you're not willing to do your part for your native country, why maintain dual citizenship?  I'm not trying to be insensitive - I'm just curious.

Should you attend your grandfather's funeral?  I guess that depends on how close you were to him in life.  If you loved him, then you should honor his memory and attend his funeral.  If you are that worried about being "snatched up" by the Russian military, then stay here. 

In either event, this really isn't the best place to ask.  You need to contact the Russian embassy/consulate.

Jan 12 06 12:31 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

William Kious wrote:
You need to contact the Russian embassy/consulate.

Thread over.

Jan 12 06 12:54 am Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

William Kious wrote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't mandatory military service been a part of Russian life for quite some time?  If you're not willing to do your part for your native country, why maintain dual citizenship?  I'm not trying to be insensitive - I'm just curious.

Should you attend your grandfather's funeral?  I guess that depends on how close you were to him in life.  If you loved him, then you should honor his memory and attend his funeral.  If you are that worried about being "snatched up" by the Russian military, then stay here. 

In either event, this really isn't the best place to ask.  You need to contact the Russian embassy/consulate.

I maintain dual because my family is there. i am staying here because i am trying to finish school here. the issue with my girlfriend someone metioned - she is another reason against risking it. there is only one way i can think of to get back without military service (i love my family and my heritage, not what the russian government is doing in chechnya which is where i would likely go if i got into the military) right now - go in, take a train to the far east border, smuggle out on a fishing boat to alaska, hitch hike back to michigan. hell, i could probably even swim to alaska if the water was warm. but the risk is still not negligible. so i am trying to figure this all out.

Jan 12 06 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Nemi wrote:
Thread over.

If i contact the russian embassy, they WILL (as in my family knows of people to whom this has happened) send someone over to my house to pick me up and say you're coming with us. within the US it's kidnap, as soon as i hit embassy grounds, i am on US soil, and the US gov't can't do anything.

Jan 12 06 01:07 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Alexei Fomin wrote:
If i contact the russian embassy, they WILL (as in my family knows of people to whom this has happened) send someone over to my house to pick me up and say you're coming with us. within the US it's kidnap, as soon as i hit embassy grounds, i am on US soil, and the US gov't can't do anything.

That's why the telephone was invented.  You wouldn't have to give your name - just ask for information.  Are your fears based on fact?  Are you sure you will be forced into military service just for stepping on Russian soil?  How vigorously is the Russian law enforced?  Is your VISA and passport in order?  Are you Russian papers updated?  If your Russian papers have expired, you won't get the situation sorted out in time for the funeral (it will probably take months of red tape and paperwork.)

Jan 12 06 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Alexei Fomin wrote:

But if i go, I will have the chance to see my grandfather one last time before the funeral.

How long was it that you've seen your grandfather? Is it worth the truble NOW? Now that HE don't get anything out of it?

The right question would have been...my grandfather might not live another year/month/week should I go over and see him one last time...

I would say stay in the states and light a candle for him. You can grief from there... Or is it because of the rest of your family?

Jan 12 06 12:48 pm Link

Model

Alexei

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Hartsoe wrote:

How long was it that you've seen your grandfather? Is it worth the truble NOW? Now that HE don't get anything out of it?

The right question would have been...my grandfather might not live another year/month/week should I go over and see him one last time...

I would say stay in the states and light a candle for him. You can grief from there... Or is it because of the rest of your family?

I last saw him in october or november, when he came here to visit. he just ended up in the hospital for a while, and i was already contemplating oing then. my papers are not in order, but that wouldn't be too much trouble. i could figure that all out in time. the laws are enforced quite thoroughly, unless you keep enough money on you to pay off whoever you'd have to pay off.

Jan 12 06 06:27 pm Link