Forums > Photography Talk > Is Less More?

Photographer

David Scherer

I finally decided to get my website up and running. I spent so much time dealing with the design of other people's sites that by the time I got around to updating mine, suddenly I was lost and had no desire or motivation to do anything.

So I just decided to do something so simple, a child of 3 could probably do it. http://www.fragileavatar.com/ is my site.

Does the theory of less is more apply here? I figure if someone goes to my site chances are they don't want to hear me blab on about myself, they just want to see what I can do. (Or can't do) So I put my photography name, phone number and e-mail above my simple gallery.

How would you do it?

Jan 13 06 08:03 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

David Scherer wrote:
I finally decided to get my website up and running. I spent so much time dealing with the design of other people's sites that by the time I got around to updating mine, suddenly I was lost and had no desire or motivation to do anything.

So I just decided to do something so simple, a child of 3 could probably do it. http://www.fragileavatar.com/ is my site.

Does the theory of less is more apply here? I figure if someone goes to my site chances are they don't want to hear me blab on about myself, they just want to see what I can do. (Or can't do) So I put my photography name, phone number and e-mail above my simple gallery.

How would you do it?

i do like the simplicity, but i don't like to have to scroll through the thumbnails.  maybe make the movie dimensions wider?  also, the font at the top could use some jazzing-up.

Jan 13 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Images By Ijumo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Christopher Bush wrote:

I agree.. maybe placing the thumbnails down the side so that they can all be seen at once.. and then when you have more than page can hold, start scrolling down
i do like the simplicity, but i don't like to have to scroll through the thumbnails.  maybe make the movie dimensions wider?  also, the font at the top could use some jazzing-up.

Jan 13 06 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

My 3 year old could have done that!......

Ok, Had to say it smile Sorry.

I think it is a nice simple site. Maybe making it a little more informative would be nice. Otherwise Nice fluffless site.

Of course, for a nice fee, my son could literally make you a great website.....

He is older than 3 though smile

Jan 13 06 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

David Scherer wrote:

How would you do it?

Like the TV repairman who doesn't fix his own TV. I am an IT consultant and the last thing I want to do on my personal time is annything to do with computers (except Photoshop). I started playing with Simpleviewer and Porta to build a website. It's clean, easy and meets my requirements - the main one being Flash so it is harder (not impossible) for people to steal my images.

Yes, less is more, I like a very clean, uncluttered design. Only thing I would add is a default home page and navigation to other pages (gallery, contact) still keeping it simple. These are very easy to do. The biggest problem I had was a clean and easy way to display photos, Porta and Simpleviewer fixed that.

Jan 13 06 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

The flash gallery is fine, but I would at least have a splash page to make it a little cleaner.

Jan 13 06 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Kathleen Murtagh

San Francisco, California, US

A couple things:

I looked at it with Firefox, IE 6.0, 5.5 and 5.01, and I couldn't scroll in any of them, so I could only view the first couple photos.  Although after a bit I noticed if I clicked on the photo I could get to the next one.  A next/prev option could be helpful, instead.

It's simple, but too simple.  It could look more elegant if the header was designed better, and if all of it appeared to have some framing, as if it were sitting in something other than only the black browser page. 

For example, Model Mayhem's site design.  It has a header, seperator with content (the nav links), and the body.  These three elements sit seperate from the background.  You could do something similar.  Instead of the nav links in the "seperator" you could just have your name and contact info.  You could play with different shades of dark grey to seperate the body/header/seperator from the background and still have the same dark pallet look.

Still simple, but a bit more nicely designed.

Jan 14 06 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

George Losse

Mount Holly, New Jersey, US

The scroll bars were turned off the site. Which is a shame as the image was deeper then my laptop screen would allow me to see. Don't assume we are all viewing the site on a big monitor.

This is a nice simple site. A good beginning, but you need some more info about yourself, your eperience, your offerings, why you're different then everybody else....... Don't sell yourself short by just showing 8-10 good images.

Jan 16 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

East Coast Visual Media

Altamonte Springs, Florida, US

I like where the site is going!  I think simpleviewer is quick and gets the job done, but I wanted to see more images than what you have posted up there now... I was just getting warmed up! hahha

I would also include some other information about yourself, experience, and self portrait possibly.  But it's looking very clean, runs fast, and displays your images so you can't ask for much more wihtout getting very elaborate.

Jan 16 06 12:27 pm Link

Model

-suede-

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

George Losse wrote:
The scroll bars were turned off the site. Which is a shame as the image was deeper then my laptop screen would allow me to see. Don't assume we are all viewing the site on a big monitor.

This is a nice simple site. A good beginning, but you need some more info about yourself, your eperience, your offerings, why you're different then everybody else....... Don't sell yourself short by just showing 8-10 good images.

Agreed there.  I looked on my work computer which is 800x600 (and locked so I cant change it), and I could only see the first 1/2-3/4 of the first 5 pics.  The only scrolling I had available was horizontal, which was completely useless.

Jan 16 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Master Image Photograph

Rancho Santa Margarita, California, US

David Scherer wrote:

How would you do it?

I like it....it works nice images too- nice is like the worst phrase to use...lol it's probably like saying yeah he girl has a great personality.....when asked what she is like- lol

but I do like them!

Might want to give a short bio

Jan 16 06 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I'm a big fan of clean lines, and you've got a great start going there.

I use the same SimpleViewer flash module you do, but I built it into a frame on my site, so the scrolling takes care of itself.

Nice photos, by the way!

Jan 16 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

simple is good... just keep your best content on it... my site for example has just too much crap on it and needs to be trimmed down a lot... gotta figure you want just enough on there to make people want to see more... if you have too much out there, nobody ever wants to see what else ya got...

Jan 16 06 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

oops.. double post

Jan 16 06 07:01 pm Link