Forums > Photography Talk > Is this as bad as I think?

Photographer

Kruse Images

ST JOHN, Mississippi, US

It's seems "all" the images I upload to the web change. I view them on my pc and they look good to fair..I'm old and my eyes are going fast so it's hard for me to tell how good they are. When I see them on my web ports they look like dog droppings....skin tones uneven and spotty etc. I've tried sizing them different from 68kb to 300kb but so far nothing makes them look as good as they do on the CD/pc. Can anybody take a look and give me advise on what I'm doing wrong. I use a Rebel XT digital and mostly a Nikon FG 20 SLR 35 film camera.
Help if you can....tyvm.

Tom

Jan 17 06 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Are you seeing this anywhere online other than MM?

And are you converting to the sRGB ICC profile before uploading?

Jan 17 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Kruse Images

ST JOHN, Mississippi, US

Yeppers, all my online images look bad after I upload them...never heard of type your refering to...I just use the jpeg file...new to doing images on a pc.
Thanks for being so nice.

Jan 18 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I *do* see some splotchyness on your avatar image in full size...as though the tonal gradations are being lost due to over-contrast or color profile change.

Do you have a web site elsewhere?  If not maybe you can email someone who does (I'll do it if you like) a copy of the image right out of photoshop so we can post it side by side for comparison?

Jan 18 06 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Kruse Images

ST JOHN, Mississippi, US

Thanks raveneyes..I'm on omp 9659 and modelplace.com under Kruse Images and modellocate.com 1889, help is beautiful thing....tyvm...I can also email the image to you if that is better.

Jan 18 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Yes, it will be better to receive an email for a side by side comparison...email it to *deleted to confuse email gathering spiders*  I'll host it myself and add it to the side by side comparison.

Jan 18 06 12:38 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Side by Side comparison

Original:

https://www.raveneyes.com/mm/karnakegypt.jpg

Model Mayhem:

https://img1.modelmayhem.com/060105/19/43bdcbf00a02c.jpg

Model Place

https://modelplace.com/?op=img&photonum=c5ccf5ad2600cfb83a4430af62d51d70878bc48c

OMP

https://ompi.onemodelplace.com/OMP_Images/Photographer/9659/9659_p_BB847306-2B3D-897A-242D530319055D3D.jpg

Jan 18 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

So from the side by side, I'd say MM shows a little bit of pixelation (right around your name on the left is the most obvious) but little to no color reproduction problems.  MP is exactly the same as your original, and OMP is completely hacked beyond recognition.

Jan 18 06 12:56 am Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Ahh , quite possibly the software on the back end of MM is compressing it more than the file will allow for, I usually keep all my stuff 600px on the widest end to be safe.

Jan 18 06 01:04 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Karl Blessing wrote:
Ahh , quite possibly the software on the back end of MM is compressing it more than the file will allow for, I usually keep all my stuff 600px on the widest end to be safe.

Yes, Tyler (or maybe it was Isabel) has acknowledged that the images are compressed when uploaded to MM...it seems as though MP is not compressing at all, and OMP is compressing beyond all recognition.

Jan 18 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Kruse Images

ST JOHN, Mississippi, US

Omp really sucks, no 2 ways about it. Your very cool to help me out this much. Other than omp I can't tell the difference, all are blurry to me, it just seems I don't see the same def as I see on my pc, I have to get about 4" away from my screen to see them at all. It's tuff to edit images, but I don't want to stop doing what I love so much. My daugther is a photog, she helps me when she can.
Good luck and take care...btw she says your work is outstanding.
~Tom~

Jan 18 06 01:13 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

flashman wrote:
Your very cool to help me out this much.

...btw she says your work is outstanding.
~Tom~

Hey Tom, tell her thank you very much for the compliment.  As far as helping you out, that's what the site is for right?  We're networking...always glad to help someone out...no skin off my nose big_smile

-James

Jan 18 06 01:23 am Link

Photographer

Kruse Images

ST JOHN, Mississippi, US

Thank you all....I can't see so much but this thread has open my eyes as to what a cool site this is.

Jan 18 06 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Andy Meng

Tampa, Florida, US

Karl Blessing wrote:

Exactly Karl, the automatic compressions are a tricky and very undefined thing.  AOHell (www.aol.com) does a lot of automatic compression of images too, so if you loaded the image through AOL without turning off compressed graphics, you're image is toast also.

However, in fairness to OMP, the OMP image was heavily compressed because it violated the image requirements of a Silver member.  A silver member is only allowed an image size up to 90K, but this one was far larger, so the software compressed it down to below 90K. 

I'll also note that the OMP image is the only one that fits completely on my screen, and thus even though the quality if fubar, it's more asthetically pleasing because it fits completely on my screen without scrolling.  Thus, I can enjoy the composition.

Jan 19 06 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Jack North

Benicia, California, US

Andy Meng wrote:

Exactly Karl, the automatic compressions are a tricky and very undefined thing.  AOHell (www.aol.com) does a lot of automatic compression of images too, so if you loaded the image through AOL without turning off compressed graphics, you're image is toast also.

However, in fairness to OMP, the OMP image was heavily compressed because it violated the image requirements of a Silver member.  A silver member is only allowed an image size up to 90K, but this one was far larger, so the software compressed it down to below 90K. 

I'll also note that the OMP image is the only one that fits completely on my screen, and thus even though the quality if fubar, it's more asthetically pleasing because it fits completely on my screen without scrolling.  Thus, I can enjoy the composition.

It would help if a site did not process the photo if it falls below some published restrictions (file size it the best). OMP doesn't seem to mess with the pic if it is below your level of allowed size. In 'save for web' you can target the quality that produces the max allowed size. I think some places process the image regardless. and of course for thumbnails, you almost have to accept what you get.

Jan 20 06 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Luis Aragon

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Here's the deal...I come from a web development background. When u upload an image, MM developers have written it to create 3 images. Two of which are resized and compressed to reduce the file size. MM, OMP, etc do this to reduce the amount of space they are using up on their hosting side. They get charged for space and the amount of traffic. Something can be done, but MM would prob have to start charging to afford the hosting.

Jan 21 06 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Kruse Images

ST JOHN, Mississippi, US

Such good advice..... I'm going to work on getting the sizing right....I need to take the time to learn more in photoshop, as the old saying goes....size matters.

Jan 21 06 04:40 pm Link

Model

Lillith Leda

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Size does matter but the quality of images are degraded regardless.

Jan 21 06 04:46 pm Link