Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Apple computers have raised the bar

Photographer

jpsc

Santa Clara, California, US

If you want to run OSX on Intel platform, might as well install Linux or Window XP/2000.  What really count is the application software like Adobe Photoshop, Words, and don't forget games and utilities.

Jun 12 05 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Posted by jpsc: 
If you want to run OSX on Intel platform, might as well install Linux or Window XP/2000.  What really count is the application software like Adobe Photoshop, Words, and don't forget games and utilities.

Oh I quite agree with you, but the main reason I'd want a copy of OS X for an intel platform is for development purpose, to make sure that what the other side of my audience is seeing is also what I'm seeing on my screen from a webdevelopment standpoint. I wouldnt use it as my primary OS. Though I dont do as much games anymore, but I noticed on the PC(Windows/*nix) , there is alot more choices of applications for various purposes when trying to develop something specific, on the mac finding a peice of software fine tuned more or less for what you are doing is a bit harder. Most of the common stuff tho (Photoshop, Macromedia studio MX, Word/Excel, etc ) are aval on the mac platform as they are on any other. Tho in the mac community it would seem that the switch to an x86 platform ( if that is indeed what they are doing ), is welcomed by many who felt macs to be the bane of gamers and would probally put the game market on a more level playing ground between the two OS possibly.

Jun 12 05 10:43 am Link