Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Was at Borders a few days ago, killing time while my wife was in the Scrapbooking store.  Found two great books, one on the bargain table for $5.00.  Large, coffe table type book called "Mathew Brady" by Barry Pritzker, it is a collection of 70 of his B&W images.  Mathew Brady was one of AMerica's first professional photographers of the mid-nineteent century.  This is a great book, shots of Abraham Lincoln, Generals Lee and Grant actual shots from the Civil War battle field!!!  It's amazing, there's even a shot of General Custer! anyway, for anyone interested, the ISBN Number is 1-57215-342-3.

The second book is smaller and it's called The Photography Book, it's chocked full of 500 images from 500 phoographers, in alphabetical order a vast assortment of images another great book.  ISBN Number 0-7148-3937-X.  Borders price $9.95.

Maybe I should stop into Borders a little more often!

Jan 19 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I love their bargain bins. When I go there(I have one less than 2 miles from me, so its actually walking distance to me in nice weather), the first place I head is the photography and bargain bin section. Even if I go there with intentions of other subject of book.Often I go to their cafe and get a coffee or pot of Chai and read for a couple of hours or look through photography books. I love that place.

Jan 19 06 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Lo Fi Art

Alice Town, Biminis, Bahamas

Try Half Price Books in Columbus.  They have about 4 stores.  You can find some great buys there too.

Jan 19 06 09:53 pm Link

Model

Ever Art

Chicago, Illinois, US

I find bookstores fascinating and addicting...and fortunately there are a few good ones here in Las Vegas.  I have found a lot of great books, old Photography books, and Artwork at Saver's Thrift store here too. Got a complete set of Astronomy books in mint condition for $9.99 retail value about $100.

The Library around the corner from where I live also has a forever book sale, and I just found a Coffee Table photo Book Great Homes of Los Angeles for only $2.  Page after page of photos of gorgeous historical homes from the 1900's to the 80's.

Jan 19 06 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Captured Live wrote:
Try Half Price Books in Columbus.  They have about 4 stores.  You can find some great buys there too.

Oh yeah Half Price Books...LOVE IT LOVE IT I have found some amazing deals their.  An Ansel Adams coffe table book.....$3.00!!!!!!!

Jan 19 06 09:59 pm Link

Model

Ever Art

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have no idea why most posts are posting x3.....technical difficulties.

Jan 19 06 10:00 pm Link

Model

Ever Art

Chicago, Illinois, US

I probably own more books than anything else...lol

Jan 19 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

ART OF ARIANE wrote:
I probably own more books than anything else...lol

I enjoy the big photo books, I like to look at pictures smile I lean more towards B & W though.  I've been trying to find a good one on Brodie, CA {sp}.

Jan 19 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Just as a historical note - Brady did not take very many of the Civil War shots himself.  Many were taken by E. A, Anthony and several other assistants.  Frequently, Brady posed himself into the shots - so it was clear that he was not behind the camera.

If it was today - It could be another thread topic.  "My Boss takes credit for all my work"

"Did not"

"Talentless hack"

"Ungrateful lying toad - I got you a job when nobody would look at the tintypes in your portfolio"

"Bite me"

(Theda) - "Now Guys - play nice - or else."

VintageV

Jan 19 06 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Phil Kimpton

Taunton, Massachusetts, US

The photography book that I found for 6 bucks @ Borders is a big book. Called "The Photographer's Manual"  The other part on cover says "How to get the best picture every time, with any kind of camera". It's by John Freeman, then ISBN # on it is
0-681-64514-8. I haven't had a chance to read through it full but it's got some great photos in it.

Jan 20 06 04:28 am Link