Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Need critique on new look to my site...

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hi all!

Please check out the new look for my site and if you have advise of how to make it better please let me know! Thanks!

http://www.rpatrickmohrphotography.com/ … index.html

Rich

Jun 08 05 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

My sugestion... kill the use of iframe, and horizontal orientation. and use indivisual images not one huge image ( when it takes me upto 30 seconds to load a page, you know its way too slow for even broadband , I mean 1.7Megs per page come one, its a waste of bandwidth. )

Jun 08 05 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

In addition to what Karl said, you need to put some Meta tags in your HTML. Following are the basic Meta tags your page is missing:

There are more tags you can put in, but these are the three key tags.

Jun 08 05 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

My guess is that you dont know much HTML, so the work around is to make the website into an image, and just upload the image, but this can be very bad for two reasons.

1) Like Joe K. says, when your entire website is images, with just text for the links, it makes you nearly invisible to search engines, so chances of people finding you via a search is slim to none.

2) It consumes much more bandwidth than needed, I could do your exact same site, but at 10% the size and still look good. Imagine if your site were getting busy, for example my site got maybe around 700 to 1,000 unique visits last month, lets say that many people viewed at least two of your pages before getting upset of the wait and left. 1,000 * 4 Megs of bandwidth = 4GB of bandwidth wasted, now if you were as popular as say a slightly heavier site say hardware review site or MM for example, you'd outcap your hosting's bandwidth in no time at all.

Not to mention, as simple as the website is ( and I do mean simple ) , you've killed your entire dialup audience, and sub-1Megabit broadband viewers.

(by the way this month so far : This month so far, 320 uniques, 414 visits, 18636 pages, 25081 hits with 186MB of bandwidth total, at 18,636 pages you would have 31Gigabytes of bandwidth consumed. )

Jun 08 05 03:54 pm Link