Forums > Photography Talk > Need help preparing for a fundraising photo shoot!

Photographer

Moonsbreath

Brownwood, Texas, US

I am about to embark on a fundraising "glamah" shot photo shoot, the proceeds of which will go toward restoring a small town historic movie theater.  I need help with a couple of things: 1) What program is best (and most affordable) for sizing photos professionally (i.e. 8x10's, 5x7's, etc.)? I generally use Paint Shop for editing; and 2) Does anyone know where I can find a sample price sheet for commercial photography and/or have any suggestions about package pricing?

Thanks for ANY help!!

Jan 21 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Moonsbreath wrote:
I am about to embark on a fundraising "glamah" shot photo shoot, the proceeds of which will go toward restoring a small town historic movie theater.  I need help with a couple of things: 1) What program is best (and most affordable) for sizing photos professionally (i.e. 8x10's, 5x7's, etc.)? I generally use Paint Shop for editing; and 2) Does anyone know where I can find a sample price sheet for commercial photography and/or have any suggestions about package pricing?

Thanks for ANY help!!

Oh geez...good luck.

I just went through all this with the ACS promotion I'm doing and it's going over like a fart in church.

Best program for sizing photos is Photoshop...most affordable way to do it is just shoot large files, which the print shop can resize for you before they print.  If you intend to print yourself, then you really need photoshop and a nice printer.

As far as pricing, you can see what I did at http://acs.raveneyes.com but that's for the Philadelphia market.

Jan 21 06 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I agree on PhotoShop. If your starting out then get PhotoShop Elements which is a smaller version and lots cheaper than PS CS2. You can do a lot with Elements.

When I do non-profit shoots for a cause I believe in, I tend to shoot it for nothing. My fee would eat into the money they are trying to raise which seems to go against the whole purpose. But I would ask for and expect a credit line as well as copies of the usage.

If you are going to be making the prints, then you might consider passing the cost on to the client.

This is just my opinion and in no way suggests that its what others should do.

Jan 21 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Fallen Leaf Studio

Des Moines, Iowa, US

I like ACDSee 7.0 Power Pack.  It is about 100.00 on line.  It works like a dream and has histograms, resize, text, color changes, crop, etc.

Jan 21 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Moonsbreath

Brownwood, Texas, US

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

raveneyes, I did check out your site.  The work displayed is incredible, and I noticed that you offer a cd in exchange for the donation.  This is what I had orignally wanted to do, but the ladies in charge of the fundraiser want to offer an 8x10 per $50 donation, and then any other photos requested will be paid to me.  I would like to just charge a flat fee for a cd of a certain number of images, and then the clients, after having signed and procured a copy of my release, can have their own copies made.  This is what I do for model port development...and while I realize I might not make as much money as I would if I were creating packages, I think it would be a good plan, this being my first fundraiser.  I have a VERY demanding day job, as well as a family, so I really don't have a lot of time to devote to packages.

Jan 21 06 07:40 pm Link