Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Plasticy look?

Makeup Artist

J C Makeup

New York, New York, US

I want to do a plasticy, doll-like look for the skin. Any suggestions on how to achieve the look?  I tried to put MAC's eye gloss (lighter texture than their lipglass) and it seems to smear the foundation.  I'm afraid shimmer would just not cut it.  Any ideas would be welcome!

Jan 23 06 11:28 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Perhaps an oil based product, or greasepaint mixed to a flesh tone? (or just have one of the photographers photoshop the hell out of the image...some of them like that).

Whatever you do, if you want them to look "plasticy" make it thick, even coverage with minimal shading or contouring (or even coutershade the nose and cheekbones dark, and the eyes  and hollows light to flatten out the face a bit).

Jan 23 06 11:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

_RAINE

Laurel Lake, New Jersey, US

GET SOME LATEX IN A FAKE BARBIE PEACHY COLOR ... LOOK AROUND AT SOME FX MAKE UP SITES .... AND AIR BRUSH BLUSH AND EYESHADOW ON TOP IF THAT DOES WORK GO OLDSCHOOL USE PANCAKE MAKE UP LIKE THEY USE ON DEAD PEOPLE

Jan 23 06 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Landra Lee Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

!!! hahaha !!!   Sorry but I couldn't help but giggle a little at the "use pancake makeup like they use on dead people" comment   smile

Jan 24 06 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Frame

Washington, District of Columbia, US

we had an approached we tried in school, it requires two coats of make-up, one oil based (first coat) and one powdered. we did this in school and it came out nicely.

Jan 24 06 12:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

sammysbodyart

New York, New York, US

the latex idea seem cool to me get that smooth plastic def.ly go for doll skin also i heard sillicon based foundation for airbrush also get that wet latex look too i havent try but would love to experiment it .. it maybe more  cost than latex  ... ah aanother idea not bad to try too...----> those facial mask clear liquit that dry shine .. i'm going wild with ideas here let me stop but hey as long as it safe and removable havea fun make mistake and learn big secrets
    let me know whichone come out best for you would love to see if my idea help and work.. this make this room so much fun then
Sammy

Jan 24 06 01:31 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Just remember that latex on the face, near the hairline, and anywhere near the eyes can be difficult, uncomfortable,smelly, painful to remove, and potentially hazardous and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS give the model a latex test WELL IN ADVANCE of doing anything near their head/neck!

Jan 24 06 01:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

sammysbodyart

New York, New York, US

this true.. someone can be seriously allergic to latex.. like i mention safe and removable come 1st everything else you experiment and learn from there ..

Jan 24 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Is this to be photographed or a show?

If photos, there are several photographers around that cam make the model look like their plastic, maybe they can shed some light on how it’s done and I promise to look the other way.

Jan 24 06 01:45 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Craig Thomson wrote:
Is this to be photographed or a show?

If photos, there are several photographers around that cam make the model look like their plastic, maybe they can shed some light on how it’s done and I promise to look the other way.

ROFL...I'm not sure is it "gaussian blur"?

Jan 24 06 01:51 am Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

HyperReal Foundation from MAC and no powder, cream blush compliments it smoothly.

Keep in mind skin that has a sheen will show off texture.
So make sure your model has immaculate skin or you will need a little photoshop.

Jan 24 06 02:01 am Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

Acryllic paint doll flesh tone mixed with honey... put on thin and build layers, blow dry to speed time, shadow with powder pigments. Model has to keep her face expressionless, and she can't have sun damaged skin. It comes off with soap and water.

Jan 26 06 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

MisterChris

Manitowoc, Wisconsin, US

Heavy handed use of noise reduction software will give a waxy/plastic look. Some selective masking will probably also be needed to pull the effect off well. smile

Jan 26 06 08:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Meredith VanSickle

Atlanta, Georgia, US

This is going to sound nuts, but it should work, its safe and it will stay on *as long as the model doesn't pick...
If you are going to use it on the face for an extended period of time, make sure that you grease *chapstick, petroleum jelly, etc...*the areas where wrinkles will appear from facial expression...
But you could try Freeman Cucumber Ginsing Facial masque... It IS a peel off, but if you apply it quickly, and let it dry, it looks just like plastic. I use it on my own face so I see the plastic me all the time smile If you apply it evenly in one good coat is stays on nicely. I usually leave mine on for 45 mins or so with no problems of flaking or anything...

Jan 26 06 09:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

BABY OIL DOES THE TRICK.

Jan 27 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:

ROFL...I'm not sure is it "gaussian blur"?

Actually you can use a combination. One layer of "Gaussian blur". Change the opacity to your liking and merge the layers, Then create another layer using "dust and scratches", change the opacity to suit and merge. Then a final layer of "Surface blur" and you should get something close to the desired effect. If you also want a shiney effect to the plastic surface...  well that Little Adam is another story.

Jan 27 06 11:05 am Link