Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Make up schools.

Model

CassandraLorien

Brooklyn, New York, US

Hey all,

I've pretty much got my heart set on going to MUD in new york ( http://www.mud.edu/newyorkdev/nyintro2.html ) this April-june for their makeup/hair/stylist program.

I just wanted to know if anyhone has been there ( or even the california version) or heard any interesting tidbits about them.

I'd love feedback on any makeup educational evandors in general. What you think the best schools/methods of learning are, where did you learn? What did you do when you first learned your trade etc.

Thanks in advance.

-Cassandra

Jan 24 06 02:24 am Link

Makeup Artist

JENN LEE

PUTNAM VALLEY, New York, US

cassandra---before u do anything check out 'the powder group' in NYC
seriously you will not be sorry.
serious makeup events for ppl who really wanna learn what is REALLY going on.  Ive taken alot of them and the info is unprecedented.

Jan 24 06 12:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

FAIRFAX STATION, Virginia, US

Why do I feel like I'm going to be saying this A LOT. Check out Mary's site, www.themakeupartist.com . She has some great advice on makeup schooling. Hope that helps. I know it helped me lots in my search for further education.

Jan 24 06 12:12 pm Link

Model

CassandraLorien

Brooklyn, New York, US

Thanks for the link, but i was hoping for personal experiences. Anyone?

Jan 25 06 01:16 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

If you're DEAD SET on MUD, it at least looks like they give you a good student discount.

Jan 25 06 05:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

Are you wanting to get a license? Or just take some quick in depth courses? I have been to and recommend Tobi Britton's bootcamp at THe Makeup Shop in NYC. It covers everything. Does MUD offer licensing? I don't know and am just assuming because of the amount of time that is put in.

Jan 25 06 06:41 pm Link

Model

CassandraLorien

Brooklyn, New York, US

No they do not give a license, I’m not interested in cosmetology and i do not need a license to work in Florida,  ( unless I want to work in a salon/spa) I'm not sure how that goes in other states ( anyone know?)

I am pretty much set on MUD but I’ve not been able to find anyone that’s actually attended ( although I talked to one girl that went to the California version and loved it.)

The thing is, My parents are paying for the schooling, I’ve got friends in the city so its pretty cheep for me to stay there, and a patient of my father has been the head make up artist for several Broadway productions ( although she’s taking some time off for health reasons) and she’s agreed to help me get my feet wet after I finish school.

I’m really just trying to see if there are any really nasty rumors or shining reviews of other schools before I get there or pay my tuition.

Thanks for the replies.

-cass

Jan 25 06 07:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

I went to MUD in california, you can message me if you have any questions about it.

Jan 25 06 07:59 pm Link

Makeup Artist

JESSICA STEVENS

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I HAVE PERSIONALY HEARD THAT MUD DOESNT HAVE A GOOD REP?? AT LEAST IN CALI?? BUT WHO KNOWS?

Jan 25 06 09:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

check out the FAQ's on www.themakeupstudio.com and if you can't find it, then ask a question on the main board. Warning: They will ask you to check out the FAQ's first to make sure it hadn't been discussed 100 times over already. I gaurantee you'll find some kind of answer there from people who have actually been.

Jan 25 06 11:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

CassandraLorien wrote:
Thanks for the link, but i was hoping for personal experiences. Anyone?

ok, here is my personal experience.  I never went to school, I'm a successful artist. I make the top money in my market and I work as much as I like, I say I'm booked when I need down time (like today)  There are 4 other artists in my position in my area.  One out of the 5 went to makeup school (Joe Blasco)  the rest trained under other artists.  So thats my personal experience

I interviewed and visited most of the schools years ago while writing for an industry book.  I think a few may be of value to the person that has ZERO makeup experience or for someone that wants to learn FX.  The teachers at these schools are not usually working in the industry (if they were they would not be teaching in a school)  Its better to attend a workshop (Like Powder Group) thats short  in duration and reasonably priced, make sure the workshop you take is by  someone whose name you know in the industry.   These workshops will give you more confidence perhaps but just like school they will not help you get a head in the industry...nobody will ever ask you about schooling and professionals don't really care....all they care about is what your book looks like.

Jan 26 06 09:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I wanted to go to mud in nyc but couldnt afford the exchange rate so i when to the best school in Canada Complections International and I had so much fun and learned so much and now i am working in both film and fashion smile totally worth it to get an education especially if mum and dad are footing the bill smile

Jan 27 06 02:30 pm Link