Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Traveling internationally with your kit

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

So I'm going to Italy in june/july, mainly as a vacation, but also to test a bit.
I'm concerned about traveling with my kit that far (I'm in Texas) and also storage as we will be going all over the place. I've condensed it down to the minimum I can get around with, which is still not small..lol..but I can at least carry it on the plane with me.

how do y'all deal with this?

I need help..

thanks

Jan 24 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I am not a stylist but I am curious as to why travelling long distance with it causes you to be concerned about it.

Jan 24 06 09:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

My first concern is that I basically will have to have it on me at all times as we aren't staying in the same hotel for more than a few nights, so it has to be condensed to the bare minimum. And comfortable to walk with. If it gets stolen I am out several thousand dollars and it's almost impossible to get insurance on a makeup kit, although I may be able to get travel insurance. Our finances are keeping us in lower priced hotels, although we do have someone helping us find good ones. Also worried about melting,etc.

I am also concerned about items (nail, tweezers, brushes) getting confiscated at the airport/customs...my nail kit alone was $75.

Styling products and volt converters,etc.

I'm curious how artists who work internationally travel with their kit, as I've only traveled in the states with mine.

hope that answered your question :-)

Mary

Jan 24 06 10:32 pm Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

are you also checking luggage in or only going with a carry on? I just flew to NYC with my makeup kit as a carry on, and they did not take out the tweezers they became a bit more relaxed now, granted I did not fly over seas, so I cannot tell you about that. now if you are checking in luggage just put the tweezers in that bag and you will not have a problem

Jan 25 06 11:07 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Sorry, but all my travel so far has been domestic. I've got my first international coming up, but it is only a MExico tourist destination. I AM interested iun hearing how others handle this.

~Rich

Jan 25 06 11:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

Bring your MU on carry on.
Tweezers n scissors in check in.
That way you arent suprised by security protocal (sp?)

You are right to condense. If you have liquid foundations bring a light and dark.
You can always mix.
Same with lipcolor.
Dont check in MU cause it can break by being thrown around.

Jan 25 06 03:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

Yeah, I'm trying to carry everything on...I dont need much personally. I don't want to check anything unless I have to. I use cream foundations in pallettes anyway so that's easy.. and my top lip colors are in pallettes too..

I never check makeup...that scares me.

Anyone else?

Jan 25 06 10:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I am going to London in April and I plan on trying to set up some tests before then.  I am faced with the same problem, except I will be traveling with my husband and my three-year-old daughter.  And I always shop TONS when I am there, so I take an extra bag to bring back my goods.  So, I know my kit will have to be bare bones.  Thank god for palettes!

Jan 26 06 10:25 am Link

Model

Sexiest Carly

Los Angeles, California, US

shove as much of it up your ass...and tell mike to do the same! LOL

*no one will understand that comment hmmmm.....oh well....

i'll talk to bob b/c he travels out of states often....and i know he doesn't chek his camera obviously but he pretty good at knowing things....

Jan 26 06 04:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

D.Marie Beauty

Jamaica, New York, US

If you can fit all your makeup in a carry on then take it with you. Remember you are limited to one carry-on item and 1 personal item. So judge from there. I work for an airline so I know personally. If you have to check you make up make sure you have shatter-proof containers so they can take alot of abuse, and keep the most important things with you. Like your brushes.

Jan 30 06 03:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

well i travel around a bit and when ever i do i carry on my med sized make-up case wich just happens to be the size that is allowed as a carry on i can get just about everything into it , I also have another "pit" case basically a big case thats a deep "pit" no shelfs or pullout trays, I whent to the hospital and asked if they has any stickers that said fragile medical equiptment on them and guess what they did so i covered my "pit" box with them and this case get treated so nicely on the airplane no scratches at all.
You can also use a soft case that is more foldable. if you need more space.
I whent through customs and they guys laughed so hard about how much make-up i had that they didnt even check it out . i did remove things like sissors and tweesers .I am sure i could have mixed something up to blow up the plane smile but of course i am not a terroist or a chemist  but i was shocked that they let me take it all with me smile
but when in doubt shipp it to your location marked "parishable" this way it will get treated better and arrive fast smile

Jan 31 06 01:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

M M I

New York, New York, US

I was also thinking about doing my tests 1st thing and mailing my stuff back to the states.. I'm just soo afraid something is going to happen to the kit..lol. We're going to be doing a lot of walking and staying in hostels......sheesh I'm paranoid

thanks for everyones responses

Mary

Jan 31 06 10:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

ohh i just hought of something eles that I do when ever i travel is .. I have some of those Vaccume Space bags , i put in all of my "liquid" products all neet and organized in them and then "suck " the air out with a vaccume. all hotels have vaccumes and if you ask they can bring you one up to your room so when you leave you stuff can be resealed. this works great for glass bottles or delicate items.

Feb 01 06 12:23 pm Link