Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > What kind of clips/pins work for you?

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

I've been using binder clips and bulldog clips to adjust the size of clothing. I've been told that the wooden clips used to hang laundry works very well too. What kind of clips have you used and found to be very effective?

Jan 25 06 09:24 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

CamelaC

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

The wooden clothes pins work well, just not the cheap plastic ones. LOL They're cute but child.. they made me look like an ass in front of a lot of folks when they kept popping off.

The BEST ones, in my opinion are the ones that you get from Home Depot/Lowes. I think they're cable clips. Some are heavy and you could kill someone with, and then there are some smaller very strong plastic ones. I used them for the first time with the Prom Gowns. The little binder clips will not hold heavy material, and it wouldn't even work with the sequins and all. They're for t's and other light fixes.

So, now I have both. The ones from Lowe's are sold together. I can't remember how much exactly, but I think maybe like $15-20, but I have assorted sizes.

Jan 25 06 09:41 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

Great. I've been told about the ones from Lowes/Home Depot. I'll have to check those out. The binder clips do something, but you are right in saying that they are for lighter materials.

Thank you.

Jan 25 06 10:05 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

CamelaC

Anything to save some embarrasment. I looked a mess. LOL

Jan 25 06 10:26 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Miss Anthropy

Portland, Oregon, US

I have binder clips on a variety of sizes. The larger ones are good for Heavier fabrics and multiple layers. I also use the drawing board clamps left over from my art school days as well as a chip clip or two that I picked up from a trade show.

I refuse to use safety pins.

Jan 25 06 05:27 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

Thank you Miss A. A chip clip huh...thats a good idea.

Jan 25 06 08:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

CamelaC wrote:
Anything to save some embarrasment. I looked a mess. LOL

You are hysterical!  I love people that can look at themselves with a sense of humor.
You do beautiful work, btw.
I needed some clips for my kit.  Those sound better than the ones I use now...

Jan 25 06 08:24 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

CamelaC

Tracey Masterson wrote:

You are hysterical!  I love people that can look at themselves with a sense of humor.
You do beautiful work, btw.
I needed some clips for my kit.  Those sound better than the ones I use now...

Thanks!! You have great stuff as too!!

Well, I felt like people were looking at me like.. uh.. we're paying your rate for three days and you can't bring clips that can hold gowns..  So you KNOW the next day I had a million of those things! LOL I never thought I needed the heavy duty kind. This was my first key role, and I had only been working like.. 4 months. LOL Thank God it came out okay. Whew!!! Everyone makes mistakes.. and I just wasn't prepared.

Jan 25 06 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I hope you don't mind a photographer's perspective--not that it would stop me... wink

I have a set of clamps I bought off eBay (a lot like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/24-SPRING-CLAMPS-2- … dZViewItem) that I use for everything.  They hold really tightly, they're cheap, and because they are tipped in brightly colored rubber, I can see them through the tiny viewfinder.  Black binder clips are easy to come by, and I love them, but I often miss them when the model turns too much and doesn't hide them.

https://www.tlimages.com/images/users/683/24clamps.JPG

Jan 25 06 11:02 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I hope you don't mind a photographer's perspective--not that it would stop me... wink

haha wink

p.s. and yes, those orange looking clamps do wonders! That's what they use on me lol

Jan 25 06 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

I found some clips/clamps that are intended to hold clothes on a plastic hanger. They have a rubber surface, so cloth doesn't slip. Makes a great clamp for loose clothing, especially lighter-weight stuff, which will do strange things with the heavy-duty clamps in the photo above.

Also, if you want a powerful hold from a small clamp, get the metal "clothespins" that you can find at office supply stores. Those suckers hold tight, they're small and they aren't terribly heavy.

(In a pinch — sorry — I've even used bondage clover clamps. They have a rubber grip and hold tight for being so light weight.)

Jan 25 06 11:10 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

Great. Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreicate it.

t.

Jan 26 06 08:01 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

CamelaC

Brian Diaz wrote:

I have a set of clamps I bought off eBay (a lot like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/24-SPRING-CLAMPS-2- … dZViewItem) that I use for everything.  They hold really tightly, they're cheap, and because they are tipped in brightly colored rubber, I can see them through the tiny viewfinder.  Black binder clips are easy to come by, and I love them, but I often miss them when the model turns too much and doesn't hide them.

https://www.tlimages.com/images/users/683/24clamps.JPG

Those are the ones I was talking about. I got them from Home Depot.

Jan 26 06 08:41 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I was in home depo the other day and i found the cutes little adustable clips in funky colours and three differnt sizes they  have soft grips on the ends so they wont damage clothing and they were like 2 bucks each

Jan 27 06 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Don S

Nazareth, Pennsylvania, US

I found some cool clips, I think in K-mart. They are what we used to call mitten clips. Two small clips, not clamps, attached with a short length of elastic. Perfect for pulling a too big blouse or other top tight from the back and they won't damage the goods.
Cheers...
Don

Jan 27 06 09:11 pm Link