Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Photographer needs suggestion for body paint.

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I am beginning a project with painted nudes, full body. And would like to know which product or pruducts you would suggest using.

I am looking for something that will not, smudge, smear, or rub off, but yet will allow the models sking to breath. so she won't sweat off the product or faint from heat exauhstion.

I do not want to use latex, but I do like the colors that are available in that medium.

I have a limited budget but would like to find a low cost way of applying the product as well, such as air-brush, etc.

Have tried Kabuki (don't know if I spelled that right) , and Grease Pencils, but am not happy with the way the make-up smears and smudges.

So, what I am looking for is a product, and mechanism that I can use to apply it, that won't cost a small fortune to acquire. Any suggestions?

Jan 28 06 12:42 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

First, the bad news, you can't do  bodypainting cheap and have it turn out good.

You don't want airbrush, too expensive to buy the makeup, and the equipment isn't cheap either. The cheapest way to go, if you must, would be to buy some basic waterbased makeup like Snazaroo and paint away. It's not incredibly durable, but it will work. Do not use latex unless you educate yourself first. Do not use paint, or acrylic because non-toxic does NOT mean skin safe. Your best bet is the closest theatrical supply house.

Of course, as I tell an average of 5 photographers a week, you could just hire someone who knows what they are doing, and have it done well the first time.

One of these days I'm going to have to do a bodypaint FAQ post, but for now, I hope this helps.

~Rich

Jan 28 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:
First, the bad news, you can't do  bodypainting cheap and have it turn out good.

You don't want airbrush, too expensive to buy the makeup, and the equipment isn't cheap either. The cheapest way to go, if you must, would be to buy some basic waterbased makeup like Snazaroo and paint away. It's not incredibly durable, but it will work. Do not use latex unless you educate yourself first. Do not use paint, or acrylic because non-toxic does NOT mean skin safe. Your best bet is the closest theatrical supply house.

Of course, as I tell an average of 5 photographers a week, you could just hire someone who knows what they are doing, and have it done well the first time.

One of these days I'm going to have to do a bodypaint FAQ post, but for now, I hope this helps.

~Rich

Thank you.

Jan 28 06 11:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

sammysbodyart

New York, New York, US

Malchow Photography wrote:
I am beginning a project with painted nudes, full body. And would like to know which product or pruducts you would suggest using.

I am looking for something that will not, smudge, smear, or rub off, but yet will allow the models sking to breath. so she won't sweat off the product or faint from heat exauhstion.

I do not want to use latex, but I do like the colors that are available in that medium.

I have a limited budget but would like to find a low cost way of applying the product as well, such as air-brush, etc.

Have tried Kabuki (don't know if I spelled that right) , and Grease Pencils, but am not happy with the way the make-up smears and smudges.

So, what I am looking for is a product, and mechanism that I can use to apply it, that won't cost a small fortune to acquire. Any suggestions?

If you looking for body painting artists simply click search stylist/make-up artist here, i see  alot of MUA do body art

Jan 29 06 12:27 am Link

Makeup Artist

sammysbodyart

New York, New York, US

If you look for local artists try face painting artist they usually also do body painting for better deal than real body art artist .. try www.partypop.com go local search

Jan 29 06 12:28 am Link

Makeup Artist

Deyanne Holmes

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I agree wth Bodypainter Rich - I've done face painting for years and Snazaroo is one of the best paints you can buy and covers extremely well. It WILL smear though and sweat eventually breaks it down. If you already have airbrush equipment, Kryolan has an airstream ready-to-use product that is expensive but a little goes a long way. They are alcohol base and won't smear. If you limit your choice of colours to begin with (they can be mixed together to form tints, etc) to be used as a base or to cover large areas quickly. You could then take your Snazaroo colours and paint the details on top. Theoretically, the water base paints shouldn't disturb the alcohol colours underneath. The Snazaroo colours also blend beautifully by the way. FYI: if you are going to use alcohol based paints, the model should not consume alcohol prior to the shoot as the sweat containing alcohol will break down the paint.

Jan 29 06 02:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

Deyanne Holmes

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I just remembered - if you do paint completely using water based colours, you could try waterproofing the models with a spray on product that is often used on Brides. When I worked on the Santa Claus Parade here in Toronto, all the clowns were sprayed after they were made up to help their makeup last longer. This product is not cheap however but it works fairly well and can be purchased from any professional makeup supplier.
Have we totally turned you off body painting?
Hope not - it's fun!!

Good luck,

Deyanne

Jan 29 06 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Deyanne Holmes wrote:
I just remembered - if you do paint completely using water based colours, you could try waterproofing the models with a spray on product that is often used on Brides. When I worked on the Santa Claus Parade here in Toronto, all the clowns were sprayed after they were made up to help their makeup last longer. This product is not cheap however but it works fairly well and can be purchased from any professional makeup supplier.
Have we totally turned you off body painting?
Hope not - it's fun!!

Good luck,

Deyanne

Not at all, it has actually been very educational, and has inspired me even more!
Thank you all for the information, and the tips as well.

Jan 29 06 05:42 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Deyanne Holmes wrote:
I agree wth Bodypainter Rich - I've done face painting for years and Snazaroo is one of the best paints you can buy and covers extremely well. It WILL smear though and sweat eventually breaks it down. If you already have airbrush equipment, Kryolan has an airstream ready-to-use product that is expensive but a little goes a long way. They are alcohol base and won't smear. If you limit your choice of colours to begin with (they can be mixed together to form tints, etc) to be used as a base or to cover large areas quickly. You could then take your Snazaroo colours and paint the details on top. Theoretically, the water base paints shouldn't disturb the alcohol colours underneath. The Snazaroo colours also blend beautifully by the way. FYI: if you are going to use alcohol based paints, the model should not consume alcohol prior to the shoot as the sweat containing alcohol will break down the paint.

Thank you! This is very good.

Jan 29 06 06:12 am Link